It would be fun if Aegon was neither a red or a black dragon

I think Aegon could be just a piss-tarnished water prince.

Before RR i do not think Varys was a player, just a very loyal servant to king Aerys.

He got the idea to switch Aegon but only in hindsight. And after RR and its aftermath something about him changed and he became a player devising his plan to put a ``good nobody`` on the throne with the least collateral damage as possible.

The problem i am facing with this is Illyrio clearly thinks Aegon is a Blackfyre. And we have very strong hints that Illyrio thinks he is his family.

This is where it gets stretchy and i have a couple sub-theories/possibilities.

1. Not Illyrio or Varys are Blackfyres and Illyrio does not think Aegon is his son, but Illyrio is a descendant of a certain Ninepenny king which Varys uses to get him in on the plan.

2. Illyrio is a Blackfyre. Illyrio`s son tragically dies and then Varys makes the switch. I dont know how or when, maybe at childbirth and switched by Varys (who is making a visit) with another newborn baby to not see his friend in pain but later getting the hindsight idea of the Targ babyswitch.

This would satisfy mine and, from what i understand, the ideas of others that Varys and Illyrio could be playing something behind eachothers back and that Varys is playing a deeper game, his jape for all the birthright-lords.

I like the Blackfyre theory so i wanted to include a changed part of it here. I have to. As i said Illyrio is surely thinking Aegon is a Blackfyre.

Well, IMHO, Varys was player in his mother's womb... He messed with umbilical cords and placenta providing a good fun for him...

Illyrio isn't Blackfyre. He is magister of Penthos, and IIRC, his last name is Mopatis. I am sorry but this theory is flawed on so many levels, especially with the part Varys wasn't a player before RR, when we have certain evidence he was.

Yes. Illyrio tells us his and Varys's back story in one of the early Tyrion chapters of ADWD. Varys started his political machinations in the Free Cities of Myr and Pentos. Illyrio claims that it was due to his alliance with Varys that he himself became prominent enough to marry the Prince of Pentos's cousin, and after work together Varys became so well known as a political player that he was recruited by Aerys Targaryen to serve as his master of whispers and protect him against the machinations of Rhaegar, Rhaella, and Tywin.

:OOOO It'd not be fun... it'd be a waste of pages, of Jon Con. Pov, of a million brain cells of mine, of paper, of rainforests, of whales... I still refuse to believe that Aegon is just a lame side-kick to overcomplicate the plot.

Archived