Jon will never be King of anything

The Black Hawk

He is loyal to the Night's Watch no matter he is offered to become a Stark and Lord of Winterfell twice. No amount of royal decrees or wills of him as a heir or certainly a claim to the Iron Throne will make him spurn his duty to the Watch and his ancestors legacy. His father raised him to a honorable man that keeps his oaths.

If his duty to protect the realm of men need him to be king of the north to get everyone's attention at the wall to fight the magical beasts coming to kill em all, i think he could accept the job. But personnally dont want him to be king of anything if this isnt really necessary.

How many threads from the Black Hawk do we need on this topic?

Twelve million, four hundred sixty-three thousand, seven hundred and ninety-one.

If you don't think Jon will break his vows and leave the NW, you need to see this...

http://www.hollywood...r8o1_r1_500.jpg

It's funny, because I don't think that picture is quite accurate considering how things play out in the books, but I do think it encapsulates something that a lot of people miss about Jon's storyline. Ultimately, Jon's story isn't about the boy who keeps his oaths; it's about the man who breaks them. And when I say this, I don't mean it as a bad thing. It's easy to believe that keeping your word or vow or oath is fundamentally the good and right thing - and it often is - but one of the key points that Martin uses his characters who are entangled in oaths (Jon, Jaime, and Barristan primarily) is that blind adherence to your oaths and vows is one of the worst ways to keep them.

See, Jon has a complex relationship with the Watch as a whole. Despite saying he wanted to go there as a boy, that was never what he really wanted. He wanted Winterfell. He wanted to be a trueborn son of Eddard Stark. What he had was the Watch and so it's what he chose. Once there, though, he has trouble with his oaths. Despite wanting to be honorable and good, Jon struggles in every book with them. Sometimes, he wants to help his family; other times, he's trying to do something for the good of the Watch. Either case, the net result is the same: Jon recognizes that his oaths and vows are not the be-all end-all of his existence. His values and morals are. Jon wants to help his family and he wants to save the realm and, to do either, he has to break some vows along the way.

And that's subversion because good guys are usually honorable and honest and they keep their words and their promises -- unless it's to set up a crazy vengence scenario -- but Jon doesn't.

The net result of this is clear, I think. Jon has to break with the Watch eventually. It's part of his character arc. See, after Jaime starts to change, he takes strength and pride from the institution of the Kingsguard. Jaime resolves to make it better and to restore it to its former status as untainted. Jon, however, feels like the Watch are a pair of shackles. He doesn't take strength from it, he laments it. Because while the Watch serves a noble purpose, it is so entrenched in its traditions that it can't adapt and move beyond them. It's gotten so bad that by the end of ADWD, Tormund, a Wildling, is more of his adviser than any one else who's actually in the Watch.

This reasoning is predicated on the idea that the Night's Watch will always exist.

Or that there won't be another "There is no-one else to do it" moment.

When the Wall will fall, there will be no Night's Watch and his vows will mean nothing. His men will disperse, likely breaking every vow they like as they attempt escaping the Others, and no one will stop them. The battle of the Dawn wil last a long time and at its end there will be no Night' Watch, and there will be no kings and queens. Jon will rise because it will be his duty, as the heir to the Iron Throne, to bring order to a land ripe with anarchy as the leader that defeated the Others.

That's assuming he'll end up being king, which I'm not sure about. It was just an instance that may come to be... All I'm saying is that it's possible.

If the Others are defeated, don't you think the Night's Watch will be restored?

After all, they will recover their true meaning in the eyes of all men in the Seven Kingdoms. Jon could very well be LC if he's still alive. Wishes of him becoming Jon, the Kind King, are just that, wishes.

When the Wall will fall, there will be no Night's Watch and his vows will mean nothing. His men will disperse, likely breaking every vow they like as they attempt escaping the Others, and no one will stop them. The battle of the Dawn wil last a long time and at its end there will be no Night' Watch, and there will be no kings and queens. Jon will rise because it will be his duty, as the heir to the Iron Throne, to bring order to a land ripe with anarchy as the leader that defeated the Others.

That's assuming he'll end up being king, which I'm not sure about. It was just an instance that may come to be... All I'm saying is that it's possible.

I like this theory, although a lot of people believe that Marin is too cruel to allow such a happy ending... But he did say the ending would be bittersweet... Maybe this idea has something to do with it.

I like this theory, although a lot of people believe that Marin is too cruel to allow such a happy ending... But he did say the ending would be bittersweet... Maybe this idea has something to do with it.

Jon would survive this, but beside him there'd be a pile of bodies that were made in the war with the Others. It would definitely be bittersweet.

Archived