5 most intelligent and stupid characters in asoiaf

space

I'm really not sure why Olenna Tyrell is considered one of the smartest characters. All that I can really remember her doing is poisoning Joffrey which set off a chain of events that doomed the house the Tyrell's are now tied to. Not exactly the stuff of a master plotter. Really, LF just played off of her hatred of Joffrey in order to manipulate her into assassinating him.

Also, why is Doran considered to be so smart? I read through Arianne's chapters as quickly as I could, so maybe I missed something. But, all he did was send his son off on a nearly impossible mission that led to his death. Pretty much all he's done since then is dispatch the Sand Snakes on some vague intrigue missions. Maybe he'll join with Aegon. But when your nephew and claimant to the throne comes back from the dead and invades Westeros with an army of highly trained mercenaries while the IT is being torn apart by internal squabbling, how much intelligence does it take to consider supporting him?

Also, Wyman Manderly definitely deserves a spot on the list.

Bright:

Brynden Rivers
Bran
Arya
Dany
Missandei

Not so bright:

Joffrey
Victarion
Lysa
Robert

Balon

Incredible naivety: Quentyn, Eddard, Brienne, Sansa

Incredible recklessness: Cersei, Viserys, Catelyn, Arianne

I don't want to add people like sam and aemon and the other maesters because are obvioiusly more intelligent than the other characters.

So:

1.Varys

2.Ollena Tyrell

3.Petyr Baelish

4.Byrnden Rivers

5.Tyrion Lannister

Those who will definately make the list in a few years: Arya, Bran, Missandei

Most stupid:

1.Lysa

2.Victarion

3.Balon

4.Joffery

5.Selyse

I wouldn't add Ned and Robb to the list because while they are very naïve and honorable which resulted in them doing stupid things, both were great military strategists, particularly Robb who brilliant at 16.

Smartest

1. Maester Aemon

2. Petyr Baelish

3. Varys

4. Tywin

5. Rodrick Harlaw

Dumbest

1. Walder Hodor "Frey" (sorry lad)

2. Ryman Frey

3. Aegon Frey

4. Hosteen Frey (Ser Stupid)

5. Merrett Frey

Crap I don't even hate the Frey's but I guess with that many bloody children you're bound to get a bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so sorry, but unless I've overlooked something, I've seen no mention of Kraznys Mo Nakloz being the absolute stupidest character in the story. The man handed over his entire army of the most disciplined soldiers on the planet in exchange for a fortune worth of delicacies and one of only three known living dragons in existence, and somehow didn't see a betrayal coming. After him, I see no need to list another 4 dumb characters.

As for the smartest, in no particular order, I've got to give it to Tyrion, Tywin, Varys, Little Finger, and The Three Eyed Crow.

I'd also like to add some characters who aren't necessarily stupid, but certainly think they're far smarter than they really are. These would be Melissandre, Cercei, Mace Tyrell, and Littlefinger (yes, I put him among the smartest, but I still think he believes himself to be even smarter than that).

I'm so sorry, but unless I've overlooked something, I've seen no mention of Kraznys Mo Nakloz being the absolute stupidest character in the story. The man handed over his entire army of the most disciplined soldiers on the planet in exchange for a fortune worth of delicacies and one of only three known living dragons in existence, and somehow didn't see a betrayal coming. After him, I see no need to list another 4 dumb characters.

Oh, that's a good point. He is pretty much the mine's richest vein of derp.

Victarion can read, as most highborn children are taught by maesters, and Quellon Greyjoy clearly did employ one. That aside, illiteracy does not equal lack of intelligence, just lack of education.

In fact, Borros Baratheon was Lord Paramount of the Stormlands and he was illiterate.

Smart:

1) Varys

2) Oleanna

3) Lord Manderly

4) Davos

5) Catelyn and Asha

future: Arya, Sansa, Myrcella and Bran.

dumb:

1) Mace Tyrell

2) Vic

3) Robb Stark

4) Robert Baratheon

I do not think Lysa should be on the list actually. She has mental issues (due to a forced abortion, miscarriages etc.) and an obsessive attachment to LF but I do not think she is dumb per se. I think she would have the intellectual capability to see the truth about LF's manipulation but her issues cloud her judgement. Also cannot see why Brienne makes it. She is not extremly smart but also not stupid... middle of the road I'd say.

Victarion isn't stupid.

He's just not creative. He's a great leader, a good navigator, etc.

Is he good at intriguing? Nope. He's never done it - he's been a captain of a raiding vessel for his whole life. He can't plot against people because that's not what he does. He's a straightforward guy, not an idiot.

Same Argument goes for Ned.

Archived