Bran knockning Tommen to the ground, clash of future kings?

The Sleeper

I have been doing a reread on Bran for anohter thread and I came across some things I find of interest. Early, in AGOT, in Arya's first chapter, Arya leaves her sewing lessons to go watch the boys practising in the courtyard. Upon her arrival, she sees to her disappointment the two younger boys going at it with some sticks. The fight ends as Bran knocks Tommen to the ground and stands over him waiting to swat him again if he rises. As we know, Tommen eventually became king and this innocous little incident has been referenced on numerous occasions in multiple POV's at least once in each book.

As far as Brandon is concerned I noticed somthing of a pattern, ever since his first chapter, where they find the direwolves in the snow. The chapter was a lesson in how the Starks of Winterfell rule and it was for Bran's benefit. Robb and Jon flank Bran on his pony as if there were protecting him and Bran is handed Summer, the living breathing sigil of their house, by his brother, whose heir Bran is.

In the chapter where Bran falls, he recalls his habit of watching Winterfell among the gargoyles of the First Keep, made him feel that he was the lord of the castel in a way even Robb would never know. When Tyrion visits Winterfell, on his way back form the Wall, Robb places Bran in the high seat of the Starks and it is both Summer who initiates the attack on Tyrion and Bran who calls it off. Later on, during the celebrations for the harvest, Bran makes a grand entrance on Dancer's back, is cheered as the Stark in Winterfell, is seated on his father's seat, drinks from his father's goblet and the Reeds swear to him the oath of ice and fire.

There is more, starting form Bran's name. He is the Stark in Winterfell the longest and nearly everything about ruling the North is conveyed through Bran's POV and more than half of it is intended as a lesson for Bran's benefit. He is the one who spend the most time in the godswood and in the crypts. He finds shelter there and draws strength from the statues, acknowledging them as his legacy and is the POV that recounts their names and tales to the reader.

Then there is the fact, that he technically is the King in the North after Robb's death, though he refuses to acknowledge it himself. All of this and more suggest a pattern of Bran being the POV of a future king.

Thoughts?

There isn't a King in the North anymore if they want one they will have to re-install the office and I doubt Bran will be in any shape to rule come spring.

How so? There appear to be plenty of people in the North who are ready and willing to rally behind a Stark. As for Bran, being in no shape to rule, how about his unparalleled access to knowledge, the potential to contact people from a distance and even compell people to do his bidding?

I don't believe that Bran will ever be a King but it's an interesting idea.

Well, in a sense he already is.

Bran has a lot of potential, he seems like he would have been a good King or lord but it seems to me he is stuck where he is and thats that. I'd like him to be able to leave but I'm not putting bets on it.

Bran knocks over Tommen and Arya also knocks over Tommen, in KL when hunting cats. Could be foreshadowing of Starks killing Tommen or could be there because it adds to his cuteness.

How so? There appear to be plenty of people in the North who are ready and willing to rally behind a Stark. As for Bran, being in no shape to rule, how about his unparalleled access to knowledge, the potential to contact people from a distance and even compell people to do his bidding?

Boltons hold the North now unfortunate as that is the Starks will have to take it back,The North has for now been brought under the fold of the IT.

No. Jon is Robb's legimate heir with a will. So Jon is the King.

There is an obvious conflict there which might be addressed in the books and if it does will certainly spark a lot of debate between the readers as well. Barring the will, which was made in the belief that Bran was dead, Bran's claim is indisputable. It is also interesting how the characters interaction will be affected by it. So far, Jon has chosen duty every time. Bran on the other hand has both empowered Jon and saved his ass.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out.

ETA: To clarify. There are obvious references to Jon being a king and much of his early story arc is about learning to lead. But then again it seems to me, so does Bran's and while Jon learns how to lead the Night's Watch, Bran learns how to rule Winterfell. He spends the first book watching how his father and brother do it and in the second book, occupies the position himself, even if only as a figurehead, but with the explict purpose of learning. I don't claim to know how this will play out It is not like the two don't share much of the same imagery and associations with wolves, ravens and the Old Gods, but it seems to me that Bran is being set up for a position of authority, that leading and ruling are not quite the same and of the two, the one who is most legit, has the greater association with the Stark legacy and in the end is more powerful is Bran.

I think Bran will do big hit , He is my fav. POV and he has the biggest potential, About bran ending up being tree I see two ways He will die to stop others or He get old then became three I do think that he will leave the cave became King in the north Also I for me G.R.R.M start Bran as the main POV after developing the book Bran POV became secondary but last two book,this might change....

Just to add one thing:

It´s true that both Arya and Bran knock Tommen down. It´s also significant that Joffrey beats Robb. (Of course in real life, it was Tywin, Bolton oppurtunism and Frey pride).

So I think it´s neat foreshadowing if Arya and Bran end up taking the Lannisters down. (However that´d have to mean Dany and Aegon both failing, as well as Stannis. I´d love to see it though.).

Archived