How does Margeary's trial end? The High Septon alone decides, Guilty or not?

Lord Damian

The High Septon is looking to increase the authority and prestigious of the Faith, and holding a Trial of the Faith, something not done in apparently a long time, would accomplish that. Even if he is already fairly certain he will acquit and the evidence is entirely Qyburn and Cersei made, he will still want to go through the motions.

I think Margaery will probably be acquitted or will end up pleading down to a lesser charge or something. She didn't actually do any of the things that Cersei accused her of, right? All of the witnesses against her were people Qyburn tortured into saying those things, and they've probably all either recanted or died by now, I think. Even if she's convicted against the weight of the evidence, it'll just get tossed on appeal.

The High Septon is looking to increase the authority and prestigious of the Faith, and holding a Trial of the Faith, something not done in apparently a long time, would accomplish that. Even if he is already fairly certain he will acquit and the evidence is entirely Qyburn and Cersei made, he will still want to go through the motions.

I agree. A trial for Margaery in which she is found not guilty/innocent would provide the HS with the prestige of having directed the trial of such an important person, to show that the Faith does not make exceptions, but at the same time Margaery in the end is found innocent so The Tyrell army doesn't attack. I actually don't think the HS really wants to "get" Margaery. I think what he wanted was to "get" Cersei, which she did (and I hope she gets payback in return).

I don't think the Tyrells would allow her to be executed, even if she was guilty. Things could get tricky, if evidence emerged that she'd poisoned Joffrey.

I always thought, it was Garlan, who put the poison into the chalice. I am not even sure, that Margaery knew of the plot (though I heavily suspect it).

I agree. A trial for Margaery in which she is found not guilty/innocent would provide the HS with the prestige of having directed the trial of such an important person, to show that the Faith does not make exceptions, but at the same time Margaery in the end is found innocent so The Tyrell army doesn't attack. I actually don't think the HS really wants to "get" Margaery. I think what he wanted was to "get" Cersei, which she did (and I hope she gets payback in return).

I do not think, that Margaery will be found guilty either. Even before the trial started, the HS as the accurser said, that the evidence was pretty weak. To me it seems, that he wants to have the trial to clear Margaery of the charges in the eyes of the smallfolk.

However, there are two things, which could influence the trial in a bad way for Margaery:

-Qyburn still has the "lovers" of Margaery, since he still rules the dungeons. IMO, if some of the possible lovers die in their captivity, it would probably weaken the charges against Margaery. But what happens, if Qyburn somehow manages to torture them into a wrong confession?

-The HS said, that Margaery would be tried by seven people, among the a maiden, a mother and a crone. With Tyene Sand being in the city, it is possible, that she will be one of the people to judge Margaery and I do not think, that she will judge her favorably.

Also agreed. I think this HS is fair. Hard, but fair and so devout that he's not going to decide a verdict for his own political ends. If someone is clearly guilty, no matter who it is and how powerful they are, he's going to find them guilty. That said, if the evidence is weak (it is) and considering how strong the Tyrell army is and how popular Marge is with the smallfolk (the Septon does want popular support), he could be a *little* more inclined to find her innocent.

As much fun as it would be to see all hell break loose in KL if Marge is found guilty, I don't think she will be. However, I am looking forward to the Robert Strong reveal. I have a feeling something is going to go sideways during Cersei's trial by combat and Robert's helm is going to come off and whatever is underneath is going to freak people out.

The Tyrells are due to take a hit, but not this time. It seems more likely that it will come in the form of continued attacks on the reach by Euron. Or maybe an attack from Aegon that results in a greyscale epidemic spreading in the Reach. With Pycelle unable to testify there isn't much of a case against Margaery and the HS surely wants the smallfolk of KL on the faith's side. Convicted Margaery would hurt him.

Margaery is found innocent. Even the High Sparrow is suspicious of the evidence against her. Add to that suspicion that there is a Tyrell army on his doorstep and I think Margaery walks.

And the Tyrells know that Cersie framed Margaery. So I think it spells the end of the Tyrell-Lannister alliance if Cersei becomes regent in wake of Kevan's murder.

what if loras is ok and it was all lies and comes to champion the faith in cerseis trial by combat and wins if margery is found innocent(wich i think she will be) it would remove her biggest threat and with kevan out of the way and jaimie only gods know where would leave her to mould tommen her way for better or worse

Surprisingly, I think it comes down to the evidence.

The High Septon is an austere, hard individual, but he also shows a great deal of intelligence and savvy. He smelled Cersei's scheme out and quickly turned the tables on her, and even if she hasn't confessed to treason or deicide (just common sins) he undoubtedly suspects Cersei was using him to get rid of a political rival.

So, he'll gather all the evidence, have it presented at the Trial, and frankly anything less than video tape evidence will result in an acquittal. He might suspect, he might have a second sense to tell when people are lying, but he won't call for the headsmen unless he can show the rest of King Landing the truth. Otherwise, Mace Tyrell would order an attack on the Sept and his bannerman would follow. With the irrefutable evidence, the bannerman would more likely refuse even if Mace maintained his daugther's innocence.

Hahahha yes. The best part of AFFC is when the High Septon reveals Kettleblack in the torture chamber, where he tells the truth. God, I chuckled for minutes. Cersei was actually stupid enough to believe he would just let Kettleblack go so easily after claiming he had sex with the Queen. Little did she know he would torture the hell out of him.

what if loras is ok and it was all lies and comes to champion the faith in cerseis trial by combat and wins if margery is found innocent(wich i think she will be) it would remove her biggest threat and with kevan out of the way and jaimie only gods know where would leave her to mould tommen her way for better or worse

I may be wrong, but I do not think a member of the Kingsguard could champion the faith against a queen. It has been one of those things that I have hoped for, but I think they are setting it up to be Lancel as the champion of the faith. Ser Strong will demolish Lancel

I may be wrong, but I do not think a member of the Kingsguard could champion the faith against a queen. It has been one of those things that I have hoped for, but I think they are setting it up to be Lancel as the champion of the faith. Ser Strong will demolish Lancel

Lol, the question is who the hell would be able to beat Ser robert strong? The faith doesn't have any skilled Warriors at their disposal. The hound (grave digger) converts to the Faith Militant and takes revenge on his brother? Seems unlikely...

Historically, the people around Margaery die, she does not.

I think the facts beaten out of (whichever Kettleblack it was) tend to clear Marg rather than incriminate her.

Beyond that, it would be politically unwise for the High Sparrow to deal harshly with a Tyrell, as they have two armies in KL and the HS has a poorly equipped rabble (and those are mostly out ot town).

I do not think, that Margaery will be found guilty either. Even before the trial started, the HS as the accurser said, that the evidence was pretty weak. To me it seems, that he wants to have the trial to clear Margaery of the charges in the eyes of the smallfolk.

However, there are two things, which could influence the trial in a bad way for Margaery:

-Qyburn still has the "lovers" of Margaery, since he still rules the dungeons. IMO, if some of the possible lovers die in their captivity, it would probably weaken the charges against Margaery. But what happens, if Qyburn somehow manages to torture them into a wrong confession?

-The HS said, that Margaery would be tried by seven people, among the a maiden, a mother and a crone. With Tyene Sand being in the city, it is possible, that she will be one of the people to judge Margaery and I do not think, that she will judge her favorably.

I sort of agree with you on this. Marges trial seems like it will be decided by some sort of jury and we do not know who will sit on it. Of course Tommen could just declare her innocent and end the trial before it began which could happen now that Kevan is dead depending on who gets the regency. Its actually Osney Kettleblack and the Blue Bard who are the accusers not the HS.

Tyrion has already been convicted of Joffrey's murder. Unless the argument is that Margaery and Tyrion conspired together to kill Joffrey (???) Cersei would be foolish to try to reopen that case. It may bring to light some inconsistencies in the official story and if by some freak chance Tyrion is cleared she loses her claim to Casterly Rock. She might not care about the Tyrell alliance but she doesn't want that.

i think she will be found guilty and then executed destroying the Tyrell Lanister alliance

(and maybe the tyrells sack the city or deliver it to aegon )

I never even considered that possibility but very, very interesting!

Archived