Best Targaryan kings and best "should have been" kings

theBigPicture

Best Kings:

Aegon the Conqueror, united Westeros, kept old leaders and families in power like Robert did, but was not weak or idiotic like Robert.

Jaehaerys I, long peaceful era, peace with the Faith.

Viserys II, whilst not a long reign whilst he was actually named King, he acted as a great King whilst Daeron the Young Dragon conquered Dorne and whilst Baelor the Befuddled prayed and did other stupid shit. Era of Peace.

Kings that should have been:

Daemon Blackfyre, loved by his followers, martial prowess, and inspired enough loyalty amongst his supporters for many civil wars.

Baelor Breakspear, dude was awesome. I don't feel like recapping all the awesome of The Hedge Knight.

Aemon Targaryen, mild tempered, extremely smart, and knew enough about politics to know that if he did not become a maester, that he'd be used against his brother Aegon V.

Rhaegar Targaryen, loved by the smallfolk, learned, and displayed martial prowess. Recognized that his father needed to be replaced.

Kings that should not have been:

Baelor the Befuddled, madness in the form of zealotry. Without Viserys II, who knows what would've happened.

Aegon the Unworthy, everything that a King should not be.

Aegon the Unlikely, letting his children marry for love rather than alliances caused friction in the kingdom.

Aerys the Mad King, I think he would've been fine had it not been for the Defiance of Duskendale.

Also, Rhaenyra would have been a Cersei Lannister in the Targaryen family if you read her description.

I would add the first daeron to that list of kings that should not have been. Hell he should have just followed aegon I after he conqered dorne and gave the martells good terms and left them in charge, being a tool he left a reach lord in charge who have hostilities with dorne. Talk about being a tool

Egg, top of the box for me, he only forced the marriage because all the ones who had married for love turned to disaster.

Best would have been BBT, had he reigned the stories we know would never have happened they way they do.

And to anyone who has not read D&E you may want to read them first before making up your mind about the Targaryens. The novellas put them right up there with the Starks in my mind.

Aegon the conquerer? I'd only label him a 'good king' if you also put those such as Genghis Khan, Ceasar, Napolean, and Hitler as 'good'. Guy invaded lands that weren't his utilizing unmatched firepower that killed thousands of innocent people who didn't want to be conquered. Hardly someone I'd think is 'good'.

Very few people Conquer like Aegon did, that doesn't make him good, it definitely makes him Great!

I'm not sold on Aegon V being a great king.

He forced the Aerys and Rhaella marriage, because of a prophesy.

Who knows what his involvement was at Summerhall?

He married for love and allowed his children to do the same, which apparently made House Targaryen many enemies.

But, he was popular with the smallfolk and put down the "last" Blackfyre pretender.

I don't feel like we know enough about the reigns of most Targ kings to give an accurate estimation of their quality.

I agree with the last part,but the prophesy is a big part of the aSoIaF. Magic And

Prophecy are traits that drive the Targ family.

great kings:

Aegon I

Jaehaerys I

Daeron II

good kings:

Aegon III

Viserys II

Maekar

Aegon V (Egg) I guess

Should have been kings:

Baelor Breakspear

Aemon

Rhaegar

Rhaenyra (better alternative then Aegon II)

Daemon Blackfyre (perhaps if he tried to become king after Daeron II died)

should never have been king:

Aenys the weak

Baelor the befuddled

Daeron the teenage wannabe conqueror

Aerys I the book reader

aerys II the mad king

Aegon the unworthy

great kings:

Aegon I

Jaehaerys I

Daeron II

good kings:

Aegon III

Viserys II

Maekar

Aegon V (Egg) I guess

Should have been kings:

Baelor Breakspear

Aemon

Rhaegar

Rhaenyra (better alternative then Aegon II)

Daemon Blackfyre (perhaps if he tried to become king after Daeron II died)

should never have been king:

Aenys the weak

Baelor the befuddled

Daeron the teenage wannabe conqueror

Aerys I the book reader

aerys II the mad king

Aegon the unworthy

Can you explain why Daeron II was a great king? He had half the country ready to rebel against him.

Can you explain why Daeron II was a great king? He had half the country ready to rebel against him.

Peacefully intergrating Dorne has to count for something.The rebellion against him was sowed by his fathers actiions so its hard to hold it against him.The Blackfyre rebellion was dealt with very well IMO

I always thought Daeron II was second only to Jaehaerys I when it comes to the Kings. He peacefully integrated Dorne, and the Blackfyre rebellion cant really be counted against him since it wasn't his fault Daemon was legitimized and given Blackfyre.

Peacefully intergrating Dorne has to count for something.The rebellion against him was sowed by his fathers actiions so its hard to hold it against him.The Blackfyre rebellion was dealt with very well IMO

I always thought Daeron II was second only to Jaehaerys I when it comes to the Kings. He peacefully integrated Dorne, and the Blackfyre rebellion cant really be counted against him since it wasn't his fault Daemon was legitimized and given Blackfyre.

He gained Dorne and angered Daemon. He helped cause the civil war by ignoring promises made to respected and loyal servants. Had far too much Dornish influence at court, which was seen as foreign. Did not lead his men into battle and was not particularly respected at all. No Daeron supporter ever claims that he was the better man or a great king at the time. He had to take half the nobles children as hostages to keep the peace. His reputation seems to be more due to propaganda than actual achievement. After the Blackfyre rebellion he was lucky to have Baelor and Bloodraven to help him. From Egg's recollection these two seem to actually have done most of the ruling.

He gained Dorne and angered Daemon. He helped cause the civil war by ignoring promises made to respected and loyal servants. Had far too much Dornish influence at court, which was seen as foreign. Did not lead his men into battle and was not particularly respected at all. No Daeron supporter ever claims that he was the better man or a great king at the time. He had to take half the nobles children as hostages to keep the peace. His reputation seems to be more due to propaganda than actual achievement. After the Blackfyre rebellion he was lucky to have Baelor and Bloodraven to help him. From Egg's recollection these two seem to actually have done most of the ruling.

Ill try to deal with your points one by one

1)Intergrating dorne was worth angering your already married half-brother

2)As king hes not beholden to his fathers promises to Ball He wants his own men in the KG

3)The dornish infleunce thing seems to be an exaggeration by his enemies

4)He wasnt a warrior or general he was a diplomat and scholar

5)he was known as "the good" which says something about people had respect for him

6)Keeping hostages is a reconised medeval tactic for keeping the peace eg william marshall

7)part of being a good ruler is knowing where your faults are and finding people who are good where you are bad

I hope this help you see why i think Daerion was a good king if not lets agree to disagree

Archived