Commander/Fighter on battlefield ?

repbypop

• 2 weeks later...

Robb out commanded him. Jamie wasn't that good. His first ever command, and he get's caught in a fortnight, having been outwitted by a 15 year old.

Jaime admits he messed up against the Young Wolf.

I can't remember chapters and verses, but I remember Jaime demanding outriders when he went to the Riverlands, and later demanded that his camp was "ditched and staked", and something that "Even Arthur Dayne would be proud of."

Where's Jon Connington here? He fought his way out of a difficult situation, killing the Arryn heir and wounding Hoster Tully. On top of that the retreat is noted as orderly, which is quite a feat in a village fight. Obviously leads from the front.

Top 5 Current Commanders have to be

1.Stannis

2.Tarly

3.Jon Connigton

4.Blackfish/Victarion

5. Jaime

As far as fighting skills are concerned we never really get a POV chapter from anyone in the Stark army so we cannot say if Robb or anyone else from his army was a competent fighter or distinguished themselves. If we had a POV from Robb than it would have made things more clearer for us. Remember Jon remembers Robb as good competition and when Jon left for the Wall and Robb became Lord of Winterfell Robb started practicing with sword everyday in the training yard, same as Jon when he went over to the NW. There might be a few people in Robbs army who probably distinguished themselves. As far as Ned is concerned everyone considers him as a good maybe excellent battle commander as far as his skill with sword is concerned, nobody exactly says he is an average fighter. It is ned himself in AGOT who compares himself to his brother Brandon in one of his chapters and says he was the better sword, rider and it was all meant for him. I don't think Ned is the best sword but I recon he might be better than average considering he wasn't injured during the rebellion and he survived Ser Arthur Dayne the best swordsmen in all of ASOIF. As far as fighters go I would like to her more about Brynden Tully he distingued himself in the War of the nine penny kings yet we don't hear about his feats, we hear nothing abt him in the rebellion. War of the five kings we get to hear his strategies but never hear about is fighting capabilities. I'm very intrigued by his character and want him to be a POV, GRRM can probably fill in the blanks for us regarding Robb and the northern armies performance in the riverlands/westerlands. Well I consider Jamie a decent commander not the best, I recon tyrion would do a better job than Jamie in leading an army. Tywin obiviously was a good commander, Randall Tarly is great battle commander maybe a above average sword. Garlan is a very underated swordsman, I recon he would probably be one of the best fighters in Realm right now. Sandor will also be top 5 cause he has skill, speed and strength. Jamie not anymore. Great Jon I recon is also a great fighter. Lyn Corbray and Yohn Royce in the Vale.

Robb out commanded him. Jamie wasn't that good. His first ever command, and he get's caught in a fortnight, having been outwitted by a 15 year old.

Jaime is not bad. He defeat river lords in Battle of the GoldenTooth and Battle of Riverrun after that he take Edmure as captive, while Tywin lost a battle against Edmure.

Also he should divide his force in that area there is no other way. Kevan Lannister said he would done the same.

I would have done the same,” his uncle responded, a good deal more calmly than Tyrion might have. “You have never seen Riverrun, Ser Harys, or you would know that Jaime had little choice in the matter. The castle is situated at the end of the point of land where the Tumblestone flows into the Red Fork of the Trident. The rivers form two sides of a triangle, and when danger threatens, the Tullys open their sluice gates upstream to create a wide moat on the third side, turning Riverrun into an island. The walls rise sheer from the water, and from their towers the defenders have a commanding view of the opposite shores for many leagues around. To cut off all the approaches, a besieger must needs place one camp north of the Tumblestone, one south of the Red Fork, and a third between the rivers, west of the moat. There is no other way, none.”

For every battle Robb won, Roose lost one on purpose. Even then the RW was required.

He lost against Tywin purposely ? How is that ? They were begining of the Wot5K.

He is one of the worst commanders in asoiaf imo, he has other talents like his son.

I think Robert is the big one to be in the thick of it during the fighting. While this doesn't give him a good view of the battle field it does give his men heart to see their leader fighting among them.

Tyrion did fight, though he was better as the commander (especially considering he was an amateur). And Dany may well fight. In ADOS, we may see her leading her troops and fighting from the back of Drogon.

IMHO, a great commander is an order of magintude more important than a great fighter. Never mind the economy of scale, but if the commander or king is lost, the war may be lost. At the battle of Hastings, King Harold was killed and the Norman French took over England. At the battle of Bosworth, Richard III was killed and the house of Tudor took over the throne. For want of a nail...a kingdom was lost.

I think that Robert Baratheon wasn't as good a commander as he was made out to be- Ned Stark was his chief advisor, and I think he had the better battle brain. Robert had the perfect combination of luck and fighting skill, and knew how to keep his men's morale very high. That is why he won the rebellion.

Ned Stark, if I remember correctly, was actually holding off Jaime in book 1 when he was attacked in Kings Landing (though, that could just be the TV show- I got the feeling that Ned was fighting very well, and was maybe even winning). In any case, he is likely a much better battle commander than most people in the 7 kingdoms. Same with Jon Arryn.

I always felt like Barristan has a good mind for battle tactics too, but he is clearly a better fighter. Same with Jaime. Tyrion is also a fair enough fighter, but he cant fight the better enemies in an army. He is better for command.

Tywin probably sucked with any weapon, but he was a great commander. He had a good mind for it.

Robb wasn't that great with tactics, but was a good fighter and had good advisors around him.

I think that Robert Baratheon wasn't as good a commander as he was made out to be- Ned Stark was his chief advisor, and I think he had the better battle brain. Robert had the perfect combination of luck and fighting skill, and knew how to keep his men's morale very high. That is why he won the rebellion.

Ned Stark, if I remember correctly, was actually holding off Jaime in book 1 when he was attacked in Kings Landing (though, that could just be the TV show- I got the feeling that Ned was fighting very well, and was maybe even winning). In any case, he is likely a much better battle commander than most people in the 7 kingdoms. Same with Jon Arryn.

I always felt like Barristan has a good mind for battle tactics too, but he is clearly a better fighter. Same with Jaime. Tyrion is also a fair enough fighter, but he cant fight the better enemies in an army. He is better for command.

Tywin probably sucked with any weapon, but he was a great commander. He had a good mind for it.

Robb wasn't that great with tactics, but was a good fighter and had good advisors around him.

Robb's talent on military tactics, not fighting. He just surviving in vanguard. Also there is no clue that Tywin has talent on commanding. Politician ? Yes, Cunning ? Absolutely. But not commanding battles, he is not bad but if he is above average he should defeat Edmure who was easily lost to Jaime.

And Ned has talent too, since GRRM reveal that he is better commander than his brothers Benjen and Brandon. Robb got this talent from him.

Archived