Do you think Emilia Clarke and Ian Glen go well together?

total1402

I think he's great, too, I don't mind the change. It works with Dany, but the later scenes with Tyrion? Not sure how that's going to go. Perfect Tyrion and perfect Jorah, that's going to be a snooze.

How do you know that? I can't see the two show characters getting along at all; and can already see Glenn pulling off a great "don'tgiveafuck" vibe.

I think he's great, too, I don't mind the change. It works with Dany, but the later scenes with Tyrion? Not sure how that's going to go. Perfect Tyrion and perfect Jorah, that's going to be a snooze.

You realize that at that juncture both characters will be down in the dumps and depressed, right? Characters, you know, develop.

You realize that at that juncture both characters will be down in the dumps and depressed, right? Characters, you know, develop.

Yes, I realize. The point was, they smoothed off all the rough edges of these characters. It was the rough edges that made those down in the dumps sparks between them.

Yes, I realize. The point was, they smoothed off all the rough edges of these characters. It was the rough edges that made those down in the dumps sparks between them.

I personally prefer seeing how people interact when they're sort of forced into brashness rather than have already brash characters interact in a crappy situation. It's more of a development that way, but I know that's a personal opinion.

You do see Jorah and Tyrion not be total bastards to eachother.

Jorah helps Tyrion out of his armour after he jousts.

Tyrion thinks that he would be standing on the prow of the ship if it were Tysha in Mereen.

On the whole he accepts that Jorah is "a fool in love". Despite being cynical he doesn't say he just wants inside Dany.

Tyrion saves him twice. Convincing the slave lord to buy him as part of Bear n Maiden Fair inc. and later when he escapes with him.

Jorah does say he'll go to see Tyrion dead "dwarf". But he lets Tyrion do all the talking with Brown ben and defers to his calls on this such as the plan to sign on.

This all suggests a grudging respect for the other and more than a few moments of empathy. IMO its pretty much a bromance.

Oh god, no, I don't see it as a bromance. That's what the show will do, most assuredly/predictably/boringly.

But in the books, no way. For the "fool in love" remark, Jorah hit Tyrion so hard his head bounced off the deck. Think we'll see that? Not likely. And Tyrion only sees Jorah in terms of himself, with the all women are false bull, after all the rotten things he did. Jorah isn't thinking that way about Dany, if anything, he feels he failed her.

Jorah and Tyrion are more like "Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows" than a bromance.

There's no way in hell the show is going to have a Tyrion/Jorah bromance when the dynamic is so perfectly set up for an odd couple scenario. There's plenty of comedic potential to be derived from Tyrion and Jorah feuding or bickering, and I doubt that the show would pass up such an opportunity, especially since the "polar opposites who hate each other but have to make do for the time being" scenario is such a staple of Hollywood. They might have an eventual friendship between the two, but I can definitely see the both hating each other for most of season 5.

That is, of course, if they make Jorah more surly and gruff than he is right now in the show. It's interesting that you mentioned Titus Pullo in the OP, as I can definitely see a dynamic similar to Pullo and Vorenus in the early episodes of Rome.

I've never gotton why a lot of readers really dislike Jorah and yet think of the Hound/Sansa as a great romance. IMO the Hound especially in ACOK is downright rapy with Sansa. Sneaking into her bedroom, threatening her with a knife, grabbing ahold of her, putting his hand over her mouth to stop her screaming and being violent.

Some people act like him stealing a kiss of her is like rape "forcing himself upon her". Jorah is not a stranger to Dany. They have known eachother for several years and both characters have confided in eachother about personal things. Its not as if Dany was trying to push him off either. He was the one who pulled back and its only because she had a Bastilla Shan moment and said "that was a mistake" afterwards. In that context I don't see it as a bad thing for him to make a move like that. They have a close relationship, he wants to make it a romantic n sexual one; he has no indication before this point that Dany isn't interested. Dany is a largely traditional character and would expect a man to make the first move. Other fantasy series have done similar things, a bit like when Lan kisses Nynaeve for instance in Wheel of Time. Its not like he tries to take that any further and she isn't willing. Yes, it is a bit creepy how he glances at her breasts whilst he is giving this otherwise sappy romantic speech. However, by the standards of the series thats not a particularly horrible thing.

As for the manipulative part. To me, Jorah is deeply sincere about his feelings towards Dany. When he says he feels that strongly about her in ASOS he is being serious; its not just an attempt to get into her pants. Even ADWD Tyrion, the most cynical BASTARD in the world, doesn't dispute that he is "a fool in love" and not just because he is trying to trick the young Queen into sex. Because of this I can't label him as being manipulative since that implies him being false with Dany about his feelings for his own gain. So things like him giving her the peach are just meant to be sweet gestures. You might argue that in ASOS he tries to advise Dany to avoid other men to keep her all to himself. This is Danys opinion and she comes down hard on him. Certainly he is jealous, certainly he wants to be with Dany. However personally I have always felt that he is genuinely looking out for her and Dany is just letting the bad air cloud her judgement. He tells her Arstan is hiding something; he is. He tells her to be wary of Xaro; he was trying to marry her to get her dragons. He tells her to be wary of Daario, immoral man who back stabbed his own employers and suggests a Red Wedding type of solution. Those aren't unreasonable things to say and if you look at other arcs like Ned n Tyrion they do stress that you should be wary of people. So I don't think he is manipulative since he genuinely does want to look out for Dany as her adviser.

Is he obsessed? Should he let go and move on? Yes. Hes not going to get with her and is suffering a horrible mortification in Slavers Bay because he won't accept; physically as well as mentally. However there is still something admirably tragic and romantic about him having such strong feelings and wanting to help Dany. A "creepy stalker" would have given up ages ago and stayed with the woman in the whorehouse. Creepy stalkers are cowards and wouldn't endure what Jorah has or take the risks. IMO the character is a subversion of a typical romance story in fantasy.

Incidently, I fully expect that Jorahs old wife is going to show up in Winds and this could have a big impact on this. He says in ACOK that he still has feelings for Lynesse as much as he still hates her.

I actually agree with you.. However, I am aghast that he stubbornly refused to accept responsibility for his actions in the whole poisoning fiasco which led to his banishment, which I felt was slightly uncharacteristic of him, particularly as it was his intention to remain in Dany's good graces.

Back on topic, yes I do think that Emilia and Iain Glenn have good chemistry in the series (I wonder whether the effect was intentional though?).

While not discounting book Jorah's erstwhile actions up until now (as stated in the post quoted above), he is definitely much more attractive in the series. He also seems to be much more charming and charismatic - and I agree that Dany's reaction to him is going to be harder to understand on screen than it is in the book, especially given her stubborn attraction to the "never do wells".

I'm sure that there are no shortage of GoT show fans who are actually gunning for a romance of some kind between show Jorah and his "Qa-l-eee-si", so I wonder how the Producers will play this one out.

They've got a long way to go to get to feuding or bickering from these two impeccably behaved gents.

Not really, no. They've just got to keep with the story line for these characters. Tyrion being on the run after being falsely accused of killing Joffrey, and rightly accused of killing his father and lover; Jorah banished from Dany after his betrayal comes to light - I think they'll have plenty of reason to be in sour moods.

Two very unhappy gentlemen, no doubt. Sparks from those nonexistent rough edges rubbing together in all sorts of wrong ways, quite another matter.

I guess we'll just have to settle for the sparks generated between two charismatic actors, then.

I don't think it will be hard to understand. She wants Daario, and they very clearly established that in season 3. She has no obligation to want Jorah because he wants her. Things like that happen all the time.

Of course she has no obligation to want him.

It is just merely an objective observation on the interaction of two characters from a television programme (we are not talking about real life here).

Seeing as the thread is about the interaction between show Jorah and show Dany, I don't think it is too out of turn to suggest that on screen, Jorah and Dany share a better relationship with show Jorah in particular, possessing a broader appeal than he would otherwise have done in the books, and equally that that interaction might or might not affect how viewers feel about their friendhsip/ relationship.

I totally got your point, it's a bit trickier since Jorah is attractive on the show. I was just saying how I thought they were going to approach things, and the audience has already gotten the message, along with Jorah.

The scene where Jorah looked disappointed when she was worried about Daario, show Jorah already knows the score. That's why I am thinking they'll just skip the kiss scene altogether.

I think Ian Glen has it right the way he can show how Jorah starts feel fascinated by / protective of / attracted to Dany. It's key the way Jorah sees her as a true queen, but maybe putting her too much on a pedestal - more innocent than she is, but also forgetting that emotionally she's still a young girl (even when she mocks being one) - he doesn't have feelings for Dany because she has the title of a queen / khaleesi, and it doesn't come from his having ambition to be a king. Jorah doesn't just lust after Dany, he loves her. Oddly enough, Viserys had Jorah dead to rights - he knew Jorah wanted her before Jorah knew it himself. (This being from the egg stealing scene in the show which did not happen in the books.)

But yeah, it hurts Jorah that she doesn't have similar feelings despite his genuine devotion to her. In her mind, he can be a father figure, an uncle figure, a friend, etc. but not a lover. The presence of any other new man (after Drogo) to displace Jorah's place irks him - he can't deal with Barristan being there as a superior knight and protector; he can't / won't stand Daario as her paramour. Maybe Ian Glen cannot look the grizzled-bear part of the book's Jorah, but the emotional stuff seems to be going well. I hope on the show he does try to kiss Dany, which would definitely be a move too far and good grounds for the ill feelings that follow.

Archived