Why did GRRM choose to portray Cersei significantly more evil than other greyer characters?

Jon of the Dead

I think the reason she seems so evil is beacuse she's bad it. When we have smart calculating people on one side and stupid evil on the other, it makes the stupid kind look all the more evil. This is why a significant proportion of the fanbase loves Roose but nobody likes Ramsey.

I think we'd have a different image of Cersei if we got her POV earlier (in ACOK). Her descent into chaos and ruin would've been much more tragic and sympathetic.

because killing a girl in her childhood isn't evil and she was such an adoring wife and mother (cersei was designed to be evil, the only sympathy for her would come through misunderstood feminism)

Well I don't think she is evil. I think she's a narcissist and has anti-social personality disorder, but I really don't see anything "evil" about her especially when you have people like Gregorr Clegane, and Ramsay Snow/Bolton.

Just from a more clinical perspective, I don't really think she has both. Many characteristics of narcissism (which I believe you are spot on about) are very similar to those of of ASPD. When you care so much about yourself it is kind of hard to care about others, however Ceresi does have legitimate feelings for her children, family, and Jaime that would not be very typical of ASPD.

I'm not certain GRRM is specifically going for that when writing her character, but she definitely has enough of the criterium covered to get such a diagnosis. As for why he made her that way, well, it drives the story a whole hell of a lot.

Trying to look for it but the home page is showing me only blank page. Not sure if it's just my computer.

Don't worry if you can't find it. As long as GRRM said he wouldn't make Cersei sympathetic, that's alright with me :D.

because killing a girl in her childhood isn't evil and she was such an adoring wife and mother (cersei was designed to be evil, the only sympathy for her would come through misunderstood feminism)

No, I didn't say she wasn't a bad person prior to AFFC, however, she became increasingly paranoid and crazier after Joffrey's death. I'd have much more sympathy for Cersei if we saw how she viewed the world, and thought before AFFC.

Yes, if we see things chronologically, then yes, Cersei has been evil since she killed Melara. But from a narrative point of view, GRRM chose to add the Melara backstory until aFfC, to conveniently explain and justify her descent into madness.

It does not bother me that GRRM has made Cersei greyer over time, it does bother me that she has become more and more inept. GRRMs ruler types seem to be crazy, evil, cruel, and/or inept - he must be trying to tell us something.

I know, personal opinions and all that, but Cersei in Feast doesn't really strike me as very realistic.

Why not? If Joseph Stalin put his daily thoughts into writing, I don't think it would look that much different from what we have with Cersei.

Maggy was a little out of left field, but it did explain her incredible hatred for Tyrion in books 1-3

Don't worry if you can't find it. As long as GRRM said he wouldn't make Cersei sympathetic, that's alright with me :D.

Yeah home page is still not working properly I even used the useless iPad. But I know I read that one.

ETA: It was actually "saint" not sympathetic and Martin replied, "small chance of that." Sorry for the wrong info. :P

No, I didn't say she wasn't a bad person prior to AFFC, however, she became increasingly paranoid and crazier after Joffrey's death. I'd have much more sympathy for Cersei if we saw how she viewed the world, and thought before AFFC.

i understand you better now but still don't understand where this sympathy will come from, she was already a bad person seeing a bad person become worse isn't sympathetic , you probably are thinking about joff's death right , will i see it as actions and reactions (did she really think there would be no suspicions or problems with her parading the proof of her treason like that, further more her blindness to his faults and encouraging him was just her faults , she didn't know how to manage anything, i can't feel sorry for such a person, it's like feeling sorry for the devil for getting kicked out by god)

Why not? If Joseph Stalin put his daily thoughts into writing, I don't think it would look that much different from what we have with Cersei.

Maggy was a little out of left field, but it did explain her incredible hatred for Tyrion in books 1-3

I should've explained myself better. Her psychological state, her paranoia, lack of empathy, insecurity, double-standards, etc, that I think it's very realistic and very well written. Her increasingly evil actions, that's what I don't find very realistic. And it is in great part, because they are motivated by Maggy's prophecy.

Archived