What is Dorne's role to play in the future?

Ser Pigeon Pie

Ok I'm kind of new to this and I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but the Martells are one of my favourite houses. Even though they were a bit of a late-comer, they have shown to be one of the most resilient and even dangerous houses in the Seven Kingdoms. It's all right there in their motto "Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken." I definitely think they are gonna be one of the most prominent houses in the future, but what exactly does GRRM have in store for the dornish in the final two installments?

Here's a passage I found in aDwD which I found most intriguing, Prince Doran talking about the water gardens:

“The Water Gardens are my favorite place in this world, ser. One of my ancestors had them built to please his Targaryen bride and free her from the dust and heat of Sunspear. Daenerys was her name. She was sister to King Daeron the Good, and it was her marriage that made Dorne part of the Seven Kingdoms. The whole realm knew that the girl loved Daeron’s bastard brother Daemon Blackfyre, and was loved by him in turn, but the king was wise enough to see that the good of thousands must come before the desires of two, even if those two were dear to him. It was Daenerys who filled the gardens with laughing children. Her own children at the start, but later the sons and daughters of lords and landed knights were brought in to be companions to the boys and girls of princely blood. And one summer’s day when it was scorching hot, she took pity on the children of her grooms and cooks and serving men and invited them to use the pools and fountains too, a tradition that has endured till this day.”

And later, to Obara:

"Aye," the prince said. "I told the story to Ser Balon, but not all of it. As the children splashed in the pools, Daenerys watched from amongst the orange trees, and a realization came to her. She could not tell the high-born from the low. Naked, they were only children. All innocent, all vulnerable, all deserving of long life, love, protection. ' There is your realm, ' she told her son and heir, ' remember them, in everything you do. "

Aside from the perhaps too obvious similarity of names, it seemed to be directly parallel to the story of the Daenerys we know in the present. Not in the literal sense of course; Dany has never visited the Water Gardens and probably doesn't even know they exist. But in a metaphorical sense this makes perfect sense!

The "Children" could represent the slaves that dany has set free. The latter paragraphs supports this is more as they are all "naked" and she sees them as "all innocent, all vunerable, all deserving of long life, love, protection." Also the representation of "Children" to the slaves calling her "Mhysa" or "Mother".

Also, if the whole (f)Aegon theory is right, "Daemon Blackfyre" might also tie into it. An excerpt from tWoW shows Arianne Martell departing from Sunspear to dicover the truth about a supposed "Aegon Targaryen" so it seems fitting that (f)Aegon would have something to do with Dorne in future books, but what about Dany?

What are your thoughts on this?

The general consensus on the forum is that Dorne will turn on Dany, after hearing about Quentyn's death. Which will lead them to support Aegon, fake or not.

I hope that isn't the case, and I'm still not fully convinced that will be the case.

The general consensus on the forum is that Dorne will turn on Dany, after hearing about Quentyn's death. Which will lead them to support Aegon, fake or not.

I hope that isn't the case, and I'm still not fully convinced that will be the case.

I hope it doesnt come to that as well, but it does seem to hint it will.

However, my wild guess in the coming events is that they will have initial success with Aegon. But When Dany arrives and begins to undo his success I think the Martells will betray Aegon and rejoin Daenerys. Him being somehow revealed as a fake would help as well.

Oh and of course I hope they somehow do "Crack Casterly Rock open". That would be quite the site and event. In fact, I think they might emerge as the biggest winners in the "Game". The problem is it wont matter when the Others arrive :frown5: .

Two words: Team Aegon.

Dany's dragons had a Quentyn BBQ Special and this is gonna get back to Dorne in a way that makes it look like Dany intentionally killed him. Plus Arianne is all "She also had her brother killed." So shes gonna look like an asshole and a kinslayer to boot, to Dorne. If Doran dies (which is likely and soon), Arianne will be HBiC and well....shes got a hot temper, that one.

I think with the initial arrival of Qwentyn Dany would believe that Dorne would be a friend to her so she would try to ally with them, but yeah his death is not going to give them cause to open their doors.

Dragons can be very persuasive though, something which Aegon is sadly lacking at the moment.

Pretty sure the Sand snakes are about to cause a huge ruckus in KL especially with the Tyrell/Lannister alliance being so shaky. I expect a decent body count from Tyene

I got the same feeling when I read that. Theres definitely gonna be a lot of vengeance going down!!

Archived