The 1000th Commander of the NW?

Ser Pigeon Pie

1000- Nobody.

I think it's so GRRM to have Jon 'die'. They name a 999th, and then as some people suspect, the wall will collapse or some catastrophic destruction will take place and destroy the wall or something. Ultimately, the Night's Watch will be gone before they can name LC #1000. That's my prediction anyway

Yeah, I admit the NW's chances of surviving are pretty slim with the Wall collapsing all around them, but who said that the order would end with the destruction of the Wall? It gives no indication of the NW disbanding with the end of the Wall, but really shows that the NW themselves are the "shield that guards the realms of men." IMO the Wall is just a gigantic way of aiding them in that way. Plus the vows of the NW state that only death may release them from their vows (which could still be a possibility). No, I can the NW still pretty centered around the inevitable battle with the Others, maybe they would relocate to the Gift?

Anyway, this is a discussion about who you could see as the 1000th LC, not if there will be one. :-P

I expect the 999th commander to get run over by a horde of wights when the Wall comes down. There will technically be no NW as the Others march south. So, for a reconstituted NW after the Others are rolled back by Dany, I figure Jaime, if available. Maybe the rules of the NW are changed, so that the lords of Westeros have men volunteering to serve, rather than having to use it as a dumping ground for the dregs of the continent.

Maybe the rules of the NW are changed, so that the lords of Westeros have men volunteering to serve, rather than having to use it as a dumping ground for the dregs of the continent.

It used to be considered a great honour and a selfless devotion to duty for the knights and noblemen of old to volunteer themselves to serve the NW. I can see the return of the Others and the possible destruction of most of Westeros as a big wake up call to the lords of the SK that the NW are to be taken pretty seriously if they mean to see the realm survive.

i think that after this battle with the white walkers the wall will somehow fall and jon snow will defeat the great other completely eliminating the white walkers from existence. since there would be no more wall i think the nights watch would be done for.

I don't think GRRM would really make it that easy for them. The WW were only pushed back last time, I can't really see anyone in the present with the ability to actually defeat them, more like a combined effort to drive them back into the uttermost north where they will slumber once again. So hopefully the NW will still be around protecting the realm until they wake up again.

Archived