The 1000th Commander of the NW?

Ser Pigeon Pie

The 999th commander will have to be somebody on the wall right now,

This will most likely mean ser Thorne, Cotter Pyke but he is at sea and most likely dead, Mallister or Bowen Marsh. A funny turn of events would be the choosing of Tormund Giantsbane as new LC of the NW.

The 1000th will most likely be ser Jorah, in accordance with his fathers last wish he mightt take the black.

Lord Commander 999- Ser Jorah Mormont

Lord Commander 1000- Ser Jaime Lannister :commie:

It fits perfectly with my "Evil Jon" theory. When Jon breaks his vows and becomes King, Dany will want to have Jaime killed for killing her father. Tyrion will convince his buddy Jon to spare his brother, and they will force him to take the black. Thus the series will end with the now-scumbag Jon on the Iron Throne, universally praised for breaking his vows to become the rightful king who ended the big war, and the now-honorable Jaime Lord Commander of the Night's Watch (Jon's original place), universally scorned for breaking his vows for the exact same reason. It fits !

Isn't Jamie pretty much screwed if Cersei goes down for the adultery? If he's implicated it's treason and headless.

Mmmm NW or Headless?

Although that presumes he survives LS.

Maybe LS will force Brienne and Jamie to a trail by combat fight to the death. Jamie wins and goes of to the black.

Isn't Jamie pretty much screwed if Cersei goes down for the adultery? If he's implicated it's treason and headless.

Mmmm NW or Headless?

Although that presumes he survives LS.

Maybe LS will force Brienne and Jamie to a trail by combat fight to the death. Jamie wins and goes of to the black.

I could see this happening, though it probably would garner some hate towards Jaime, seeing as Brienne is a more loved character.

Marsh is too incompetent to take control. A lot of the strength of the Shadow Tower is still intact, and Denys Mallister was the most popular candidate before Sam rigged the vote. Even if Marsh tries to sieze control, Denys has a lot more manpower and support than Marsh. also, if Desmond Grell & Robin Ryger arrive at the wall, they could b candidates.

I don't put too much stock in the Night's Watch's count. The order was formed before writing was a thing in Westeros, and an average term of eight years seems a little short.

I agree. I was under the impression that the LC serves for life and a new one is only chosen when the previous LC dies. But if the average term is actually 8 years that that would mean there is either a limit on how long you serve (which doesn't seem likely) or they all die relatively quickly. (which doesn't seem that likely either) Its probably just a miscalculation on GRRM's part.

As for a miscount, I doubt it. Every LC and Night's watchmen knows how many LCs there has been so its really unlikely they all suddenly lost track unless at some point in the 8000 years they all lost their memory. Considering the Order is still alive to day I don't think it happened.

999 - Dolorous Edd (Think about it...)

1000 - Benjen Stark

Also wanted to add that I firmly believe that either the Wall will stand, or the CotF/Bran will be able to recreate the magic and bring it back up. The Others won't vanish or be completely destroyed. They came before, are coming now, will come again, it's a never ending cycle. I don't see GRRM ending his story with neither "and the Others wiped out all life on Planetos" nor "and the Hero killed the last Other and they were never seen again" just goes against his style I think.

Archived