Do you think the show ruined the importance of Edric Storm in the books?

The Silent Stag

Before season 3, their were a lot of people (myself included) who thought that Edric Storm was still an important character in the book. Some fans had theory's of him sitting on the Iron Throne, Some fans thought he would become the Lord of Storms End for Jon/Stannis. it just seem's like his character in the books is ruined because he completely got left out of the show. I know that their are major differences between the show and the books don't get me wrong, but imo If Edric Storm was going to be important in the books he wouldn't of been left out of the show.

So I guess my question is this: Edric Storm Important or Not?

I don't like these posts. I didn't read the OP, but I do not watch the TV show and I want to avoid as much spoiler as possible. We should have stricter rules. No show mentioned at all. I know it may sound a little too picky... But I really hate the idea that the TV show may spoil something.

I don't like these posts. I didn't read the OP, but I do not watch the TV show and I want to avoid as much spoiler as possible. We should have stricter rules. No show mentioned at all. I know it may sound a little too picky... But I really hate the idea that the TV show may spoil something.

Why would the tv show spoil anything? it would be other way around no? the books spoilering for the people who only watch the tv show

Eh. It means either Gendry or Edric isn't important late game, but not necessarily which. If Edric has a huge role later on, Gendry can still take it in the show

Not only Edric's role but also Mya's memories (a father throwing her up in the air until she giggled), Bella's story (conceived during battle when Robert was wounded and thought he would die there), the twins hiden in plain sight at King's Landing, the one killed at Casterly Rock after he learned how to read and the rest of the 16 bastards, dead or living.

Gendry's important to Arya's story as a person. Edric is important to Stannis's story as a concept, not as a character

Not to mention, the importance of Arya in Gendry's story as a person: See that guy Locke from the show? That's Gendry Waters, two books from now if he never finds Arya again.

Not to mention seeing Gendry was the catalyst for Eddard to unravel the Lannister incest web of deceit.

Not to mention, Davos's background as a Flea Botton's boy.

We never got to read that side of the character because there was no one Ser Davos could talk to the way he did with Gendry on the show.

Why would the tv show spoil anything? it would be other way around no? the books spoilering for the people who only watch the tv show

It would be so if they were exact the same. But they're not. They anticipate stuff. When they kill or change a character, there's a good chance that character won't be too important in the books. After all, they are still similar, and if the guy is to sit the IT or make something great in the future chances are he'll be in the TV show. If he's not, that's already a spoiler.

So my opinion is that we should keep anything related to the TV show off this forum.

^^

But the show has already killed off people that Martin has explicitly stated will be important in the future. I think proclaiming that a character has lost all importance in the novels because of something that happened in the show is dumb. The novels are Martin's story. The show is D.B. and David's interpretation of Martin's story, and they can change it however they want. Yes, they're trying to be as faithful as possible, but changes have and will be made, and they'll get more drastic as the show progresses.

Archived