This is seriously intriguing (and a bit creepy)

Jon of the Dead

I saw this in the "So Spake Martin" section:

January 03, 1999

HODOR AND THE CRYPTS

After rereading both AGOT and ACOK I was wondering about one question: Why was Hodor not afraid of the crypts under Winterfell at the end of ACOK? In AGOT Hodor was very afraid of the crypts, he wouldn't take Bran down there, but in ACOK he stayed with Bran and Rickon in the crypt for quite a while, how did he stay there if he was so afraid?

"Hodor was only afraid of the crypts =at that specific time.= Not before and not after."

Anything in particular going on in the crypts in aGoT? I can only think that maybe Mance was hidden there during Robert's visit, but I don't remember if Hodor was still afraid some time after that. But why would Mance be hiding there, unless there was a way in and out of Winterfell? And why would Hodor be afraid of Mance anyway?

I think this could be an important clue on the mystery of the crypts, any ideas?

Or maybe Martin just wasn't willing to admit he made a mistake.

That would be dissapointing, to say the least

IIRC, there was a mention in aDwD of a 4th level in the crypts, the deepest one, but apparently the door was blocked or something. It is very ominous indeed

Hodor has an intullectual disability, so he reacts to certain things differently than others do. For example, I've worked with children with intullectual disabilities who are scared of snakes one day, then try to grab them the next.

This. I love to read into everything and every little detail as much as the next person, but sometimes it just is what it is. Martin could just about it, in this case, "What I've written. I've written."

Perhaps he was scared down there the second time, but had enough sense to be even more scared of the Iron born, so he just decided to be quiet about it. Or perhaps it was because they were in the dark so he couldn't see all the scary stuff down there. Or perhaps he just got used to it.

Perhaps he was scared down there the second time, but had enough sense to be even more scared of the Iron born, so he just decided to be quiet about it. Or perhaps it was because they were in the dark so he couldn't see all the scary stuff down there. Or perhaps he just got used to it.

Only that contradicts the SSM. If we're coming up with anything just to justify a (apparent) hole, we might as well say Hodor was drunk. Or on crack. Or suffering from a LSD badtrip. Or that it wasn't Hodor at all, but Bloodraven warging him.

The possibilities are endless.

Only that contradicts the SSM. If we're coming up with anything just to justify a (apparent) hole, we might as well say Hodor was drunk. Or on crack. Or suffering from a LSD badtrip. Or that it wasn't Hodor at all, but Bloodraven warging him.

The possibilities are endless.

Sorry but i'm not familiar with 'SSM'

It's in the OP. That's what this thread is about.

Oh i see. Wasn't that first time, around about the time when Ned died? It may have been that he could sense it. The two boys dreamed it also didn't they? and Shaggy Dog went mental down there at one point. I can't really remember the specifics.

I think there is definitely something going on in the crypts that has something to do with the changing of the seasons. Not sure what it is, Ice Dragon or pact with Others or whatever. Maybe something happened down there when Ned died, and Hodor was scared of it because he could somehow sense it.

I know this is very vague and undetailed, but I think it's the most probable reason for Hodor's fear. Also, I read somewhere that GRRM confirmed the seasons are messed up for magical reasons that will be revealed in the following books.

Hodor is afraid of the crypts late in GoT, when Bran has a dream and wants to go down and see if Ned is there.

Hodor won't go, so Maester Luwin has Osha carry Bran down into the crypts.

Rickon and Shaggydog are down there, and Luwin gets bitten.

Hodor is afraid of being bitten by Shaggydog. Mystery solved.

Archived