Was Robert's bounty on Daenerys out of character?

StarksOfWinterfell

Robert liked fighting, but I don't think he was ready for another rebellion. The Greyjoy Rebellion was relatively small-scale compared to his own rebellion and a Targaryen invasion. I think he must have had some idea of the debt the kingdom was in as well, so that must have played a factor in his decision. Also, he was well aware that were still Targ loyalists in Westeros, and he didn't want to risk them jumping ship should Viserys land in Westeros.

Robert is known to have acted rashly when he was in a rage. This was one of those moments. With a cool head I doubt he would have done as much, but knowing how he would get in a rage, it's not necessarily out of character for him.

I think he was tired of fighting and just wanted an easy life. He knew that the peace in the realm was just an illusion, and the alliances too fragile to unite and defend the realm.

Plus he hated Targaryens. He knew what he was doing was wrong, but he just didn't really care. He'd rather the peace of mind of knowing she isn't a threat.

I think he was tired of fighting and just wanted an easy life. He knew that the peace in the realm was just an illusion, and the alliances too fragile to unite and defend the realm.

Plus he hated Targaryens. He knew what he was doing was wrong, but he just didn't really care. He'd rather the peace of mind of knowing she isn't a threat.

I think this is untrue. He could have had Viserys and Dany killed years before the series started, but he chose to listen to Jon Arryn instead. How often does he actually take the man's advice? Not often. He knows deep down killing the Targ siblings was wrong, but he only considered because he was afraid of Drogo

I think this is untrue. He could have had Viserys and Dany killed years before the series started, but he chose to listen to Jon Arryn instead. How often does he actually take the man's advice? Not often. He knows deep down killing the Targ siblings was wrong, but he only considered because he was afraid of Drogo

Yeah exactly. As i said, he fears that the realm might not be able to defend itself from such an invasion, and he no longer has an appetite for war. He knows it's wrong to kill her, but he just doesn't care. He'd sooner let Varys take care of it and not have to worry about it.

Robert, by the end, was all about wanting an easier life. He just wanted to drink and not think about it. He was happy to turn a blind eye to a lot of things.

I don't agree that Robert was completely irresponsible though. He could have left to the Free Cities at any time. At any point to become a sellsword. The problem was he knows what Joffrey is and the things Cersei can do. If he just turned a blind eye to everything and went for the easy life he'd say f*** this s*** and leave.

I don't agree that Robert was completely irresponsible though. He could have left to the Free Cities at any time. At any point to become a sellsword. The problem was he knows what Joffrey is and the things Cersei can do. If he just turned a blind eye to everything and went for the easy life he'd say f*** this s*** and leave.

Sure, he definitely knew that his kingship was crucial to holding the realm together. The people generally liked him and feared him. He wasn't completely irresponsible. But that's why he felt it was best if Danerys and her child die. Because he had a duty to the realm and wanted peace. He knew that all these alliances were tenuous at best. It was easier to have Dany killed than to wait for 100,000 Dothraki to turn up on his doorstep, so he considered that the better option, even though he knew she was technically an innocent at that point.

I think a part of it is that Robert had a great hatred for anything and anyone related to Rhaegar.

Pretty much the whole story I think.

"The man who passes the sentence must swing the sword". Eddard lived by this, but Robert did not.

It was not that Robert was afraid of combat or risking his own death, but if he had to live with looking into Dany's eyes and then kill her or order her death, I do not think he could do it.

He despised the Targaryens, but I think there was a part of his need to kill a young girl (and have someone else do it) which made him feel ashamed too.

Eddard represented his conscience in this - not only because the revenge act itself was essentially pointless, but because as a warrior and king, he also should be able to take personal responsibility for the act.

He probably tried to justify the whole thing in his head e.g. she's dragon spawn, a good Targ is a dead Targ, her family took Lyanna from me or some crap like that <_<

From what I've seen he's very good at justifying his actions (no matter how bad) or throwing the blame on something or someone else.

Raping Cersei: "it's the wine!"

Being a crap king: "only because Lyanna died"

Neglecting his kids: "those women shouldn't be coming up to you Ned"

I don't see why he wouldn't put it into his twisted imagination that killing a pregnant 13 year old isn't wrong.

Archived