How did Thoros manage to revive Beric 7 times?

Beric was killed at the Mummer's Ford by The Mountain, Thoros gave him a R'hllor funeral with burial rights and accidentally revived him. This was due to the return of dragons, which is said to have bought about the return of magic.

Beric was killed at the Mummer's Ford by The Mountain, Thoros gave him a R'hllor funeral with burial rights and accidentally revived him. This was due to the return of dragons, which is said to have bought about the return of magic.

A return of magic? But Moqorro or Melisandre did not have such a boost or powerup when the dragons were born; only Thoros.

A return of magic? But Moqorro or Melisandre did not have such a boost or powerup when the dragons were born; only Thoros.

Alchemists and that one random stage magician in Qarth did get powerups. Guess it varies from spell to spell, shadowbabies are probably not fiery enough to benefit and we have no clue about Moqorro's powers before the dragons

Whatever caused the return of dragons, happened. I'm not convinced dragons are the cause, merely another effect of the same phenomenon (that we don't know the details of, if any).

What came first, the chicken or the egg? I agree however, we don't know the details.

Thoros is just very 'talented' for that stuff I think. Just like one in a thousand first men have skinchanging abilities, some of them are more powerful than others. There is power in his blood, if you will, and the return of magic to the world has awaken that power as well.

I propose a new theory:

The Seven revived Beric 7 times, so he could bring back Cat (a devout follower of the Seven)

Do we actually have any explicit examples of the Seven (or followers thereof) doing anything "magical"? We have examples of the Red God (i.e. Thoros, Melisandre, etc), and of the old gods (green-seeing, heart trees, etc), but I'm not aware of a single example of anything for the Seven in the books. Maybe not even a legend or myth. I've wondered if the Seven were "manufactured" by the Maesters as part of their "kill all magic" consipiracy.

In GRRM's world, magic seems to be a pool that is only accessible (or only expresses itself) at certain times. Do events in the world affect access, or is it a natural phenomena that waxes and wanes like the tide or phases of the moon? Did the dragons bring magic back, or did they return because magic returned? Did Thoros access powers previously beyond him because the dragons returned, or was it coincidental?

A prophecy sort of makes sense if there is a rhythmic aspect to the world - magic ebbing and flowing like a sine wave. Many aspects of magic are returning all at once, all over the world - dragons are simply the most noteworthy and romantic. The Others, the Maesters candles, the Red God.

I tend to be skeptical of the Seven because amidst this great awakening of magic in the world, the Seven have been silent.

Do we actually have any explicit examples of the Seven (or followers thereof) doing anything "magical"? We have examples of the Red God (i.e. Thoros, Melisandre, etc), and of the old gods (green-seeing, heart trees, etc), but I'm not aware of a single example of anything for the Seven in the books. Maybe not even a legend or myth. I've wondered if the Seven were "manufactured" by the Maesters as part of their "kill all magic" consipiracy.

The elder brother is said to be a magical healer, but that might have been just a praise/exaggeration. Lancel, a devout 7 worshipper, claims to have prophetic dreams (could be wrong or could be actually having green dreams). That's all I can think of. But certainly not a maester plot, it was ancient Andal religion long before Citadel

In GRRM's world, magic seems to be a pool that is only accessible (or only expresses itself) at certain times. Do events in the world affect access, or is it a natural phenomena that waxes and wanes like the tide or phases of the moon? Did the dragons bring magic back, or did they return because magic returned? Did Thoros access powers previously beyond him because the dragons returned, or was it coincidental?

A prophecy sort of makes sense if there is a rhythmic aspect to the world - magic ebbing and flowing like a sine wave. Many aspects of magic are returning all at once, all over the world - dragons are simply the most noteworthy and romantic. The Others, the Maesters candles, the Red God.

I tend to be skeptical of the Seven because amidst this great awakening of magic in the world, the Seven have been silent.

Father

Mother

Warrior

Maiden

Smith

Crone

Stranger

The seven: - true religion of westeros, thats why they resurrected Cat

Father

Mother

Warrior

Maiden

Smith

Crone

Stranger

The seven: - true religion of westeros, thats why they resurrected Cat

I apologize - I do not understand your point. Are you agreeing with Inquisitor Glokta's theory that Beric was resurrected not by Rhllor but by the Seven (7 times), because Cat was to be their champion? If so - Cat never struck me as overly zealous or religious, only pragmatic. I don't see any manifestation of the Seven in Cat, with the possible exceptions of the Mother and the Crone (as Stoneheart).

But certainly not a maester plot, it was ancient Andal religion long before Citadel

Good point. It still strikes me as manufactured though, even for the sake of conquest. We know the religion started with the Andals, do we even have any mythos to it's origin? Legends? Old wives tales? Why was it started?

Archived