How did Thoros manage to revive Beric 7 times?

I apologize - I do not understand your point. Are you agreeing with Inquisitor Glokta's theory that Beric was resurrected not by Rhllor but by the Seven (7 times), because Cat was to be their champion? If so - Cat never struck me as overly zealous or religious, only pragmatic. I don't see any manifestation of the Seven in Cat, with the possible exceptions of the Mother and the Crone (as Stoneheart).

Good point. It still strikes me as manufactured though, even for the sake of conquest. We know the religion started with the Andals, do we even have any mythos to it's origin? Legends? Old wives tales? Why was it started?

She was a believer thats all that matters, and she prayed to them when in need.

The new gods are underestimated since they don't have magic....but what if they actually are the real deal

I propose a new theory:

The Seven revived Beric 7 times, so he could bring back Cat (a devout follower of the Seven)

Nah. The Seven are a worthless bunch, it is known. We've seen all gods give powers, but not the 7.

Old Gods - warging, greenseeing etc.

R'Hllor - prophecy, setting eagles on fire, glamours etc.

Drowned god - makes you able to drink saltwater and (possibly) gives you entertaining nonsensical sayings (Patchface)

Now... What about The Seven? Worst gods ever.

It would be great, however, if the legend of Beric Dondarrion started a monotheistic split on The Seven where the smalfolk adored him as a Messiah. I mean, each one of his 7 lives would represent an aspect of God. I don't see it happening because they're all into the Red God business. But yeah, the fact that it was 7 times is interesting.

The way I read it, Thoros didn't revive Beric; Beric was revived by some magic in the funeral rites of the Red Religion. Thoros was just a vessel or conduit for some other power, it doesn't really have anything to do with him.

That's pretty clear. I believe Thoros himself says he does not understand how it happens. So it's not like he's really the master of it. Then Beric himself is able to do that later.

IIRC, Thoros only revived Beric six times. However, the suggestion is that UnBeric gave up all seven of his lives, including his first one, when he gave Cat the kiss of fire.

I have a theory that red magic summons "shadows" which serve as a demonic animating force. In short, I think we will see Stannis' shadow babies again, having taken on a fleshy form. Perhaps King Stannis (rather like King Arthur in some versions of the Mordred legend) must do penance by being forced will forced to battle his own accursed offspring.

But I'm not sure this applies to Beric. But we will see later "shadows". The "shadow" with the terrible face of a hound. The "shadow" with golden armor shining like the sun. The "shadows" that are here to stay ... and to dance.

Thoros does refer to UnCat and Beric as "shadows": "A grimmer shadow leads us now."

Nah. The Seven are a worthless bunch, it is known. We've seen all gods give powers, but not the 7.

Old Gods - warging, greenseeing etc.

R'Hllor - prophecy, setting eagles on fire, glamours etc.

Drowned god - makes you able to drink saltwater and (possibly) gives you entertaining nonsensical sayings (Patchface)

Now... What about The Seven? Worst gods ever.

It would be great, however, if the legend of Beric Dondarrion started a monotheistic split on The Seven where the smalfolk adored him as a Messiah. I mean, each one of his 7 lives would represent an aspect of God. I don't see it happening because they're all into the Red God business. But yeah, the fact that it was 7 times is interesting.

YES! The Faith of the Seven are the most useless religion in Westeros.

Archived