If Jon does come back to life (or stay alive) how can he stay in command?

I've never understood why Jon would be expected to maintain the title of LC after an attempted assassination. Isn't that kind of the most definitive way to be fired or forced into retirement? Even with most of the support of the NW, which we don't know if he has, how can anyone maintain a position of leadership after those who are supposed to be most loyal to you tried to kill you? Would they simply demote him to a ranger? I understand Jon took a vow, and refused Winterfell and everything, but why does everyone assume Jon will be welcomed back as LC with open arms?

Countless leaders suffered multiple assassination attempts. They carried on. Why would Jon behave differently than them? Just execute everybody involved, end of story.

Countless leaders suffered multiple assassination attempts. They carried on. Why would Jon behave differently than them? Just execute everybody involved, end of story.

And if the people involved are the majority? We don't know the extent of the uprising but it appears that many of the builders and stewards are involved. Jon doesn't seem to have many allies left in the NW and isn't going to be a very effective LC if he's outnumbered 10 to 1.

While that's true, this is sort of a unique situation. FIrst off, Jon was democratically elected. Second, we don't know for a certainty the extent of the level of consipiracy. If 2/3 of the NW are involved, should Jon execute them all? Also, the NW is an institution, not a nation. Finally, for all intents and purposes Jon attempted to break his vows before being forcibly removed. I know the argument that Jon didn't break the spirit of his vows, but most will see this as Jon oathbreaking, and Jon's own thoughts on the matter shows he decided to march on Winterfell for his family, not his brothers, so he himself would probably consider it oathbreaking.

If Jon has the support from most of the NW still, then he will probably remain LC and Marsh and Co can have their heads on spikes, and that's the end of it. If most of the NW agree with Marsh, then I don't see him continuing the position of LC.

You make the argument that leaders in history who have survived assassinations continue to be the leaders. Most leaders who survive full scale rebellions do not continue to be the nation's leader. Whether or not the incident for Jon was more assassination than rebellion, remains to be seen.

And if the people involved are the majority? We don't know the extent of the uprising but it appears that many of the builders and stewards are involved. Jon doesn't seem to have many allies left in the NW and isn't going to be a very effective LC if he's outnumbered 10 to 1.

It's an assassination, not a mutiny. And it happened after it was far too late.There is no majority for Bowen Marsh of all people. We could speculate whether four, fourteen or forty people where involved, but no more than that.

The rest is either firmly behind Jon or shows grudging respect. Especially the rangers. And ridicules Bowen Marsh and Septon Cellador. Especially the rangers.

Even Othell Yarwick is not per se anti-Jon, he is just initally careful and Jon has him almost won over in the last few chapters.

I don't think Jon will have any interest in leading the Night's Watch, as when he comes around he's going to be PISSED.

Besides it's kind of a moot point anyway, since in order for the White Walkers to fulfill the threat we've been promised, the Wall has to come down. Before long there will be no Night's Watch.

I think that Jon is unconscious. Not dead. He will only spend a chapter or two in Ghost. There's too much plot that needs to occur to keep Jon out of commission for too long.

He will wake up, maybe in an ice cell. Everybody thought he was dead. People think he has been resurrected when he was actually alive the whole. This will allow him to get out of his vows and will rally many around him as they will mistakenly view him as a messianic figure.

I think he is dead, and from now on we will see all that happens at the wall from another perspective. I think Bowen Marsh's timing was a bit strange. If you're going to kill him, why wait until after he's let the wildlings through? And also, if it's just that he didn't want him to be LC anymore, why not just let him ride south, and elect a new LC?

It was a pretty strange move. I think that Tormund and his gang will now kill Marsh and his co-conspirators and a new leader will be elected. Perhaps all the wildlings will take the black, just so that they can elect Tormund as LC and the wildlings will have taken over the watch without even having to fight for it.

His men tried to assassinate him because they don't know who the true enemy is. The wildlings are allies. If the men of the NW open their eyes, they will follow Jon for sure.

If Jon is out of commission and then returns, as speculated, then I think he will still feel the same responsibility to his vows. He's no weasel. The war with the others will be priority one, claiming some birthright or pursuing prophesies is out of character.

My favorite theory is that someone will replace him when he's out as the 999th LC, and when Jon comes to, he'll somehow get the title back as the 1000th LC.

It seems to me that all of this is to get Jon out of his vows and onto the next part of his story. I think his brothers will think him dead, and there will be a ceremony releasing Jon from his vows. Then there will be an attack and a horn blown and the wall will be destroyed with most of the NW brothers killed and scattered. By the time Melisandre can revive him, Jon will find the wall is has been brought down and the NW doesn't even exist anymore. The plot needs to move on and a lot of things need to happen. It can't stay still with Jon at the wall any longer.

There are several ways I can see Jon keeping his command. One way is that Bowen's group doesn't turn out to be very large and Jon still holds the majority of the Night Watch's support. A second way is if Jon is forced into exile ( most likely with the wildlings beyond the wall), and several of the Night's Watch follow him into this exile. Bowen's idea to seal the gates may be just as unpopular as Jon's idea to allow the Free Folk to pass the wall. Jon could end up as the leader of a Night's Watch splinter group. A third way that Jon could remain in a leadership position in the Night Watch is if he removes himself from Castle Black and makes one of the other castles his new seat, If he has a large enough group of supporters he could easily deter any attack from Bowen's group. Even if Jon does not have the majority of the Night's Watch's support he could still manage commanding a portion of their Night's Watchmen.

Archived