If Jon does come back to life (or stay alive) how can he stay in command?

Jon's death is just a plot device to get him out of his vows.

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death."

It's Sam I feel sorry for. He is going to be stuck in the Night's Watch without his best mate.

I agree. things are about to get crazy at the wall.

My personal feeling is that his wounded body will be spirited away by the wildlings towards Winterfell. I have a theory that the moment Jon was attacked the Others started moving on the Wall, hense only the cold line.

By the time Jon regains his true form and consciousness the NW will mostly be destroyed and the Wall will have fallen. I have no doubt he'll still take the most important part of his vow seriously, defending the realm.

Jet, I agree it was a plot device, but it was in order for the wall to fall not on HIS watch. I'm sure Jon will spend the next 2 books defending the realm in one way or another.

"It shall not end until my death" is not the same thing as "It shall end when I die".

Also in the same vow there's the part "for this night and all nights to come".

Jon is not staying in command. Very soon in TWOW we will here the words: "And now his watch ends" .... and I think Jon will only live on through Ghost for a while... I'm still not 100% sure if he is ever going to come back to life. He will live on through ghost...and maybe he will even live on as a shadow of himself like Lady Stoneheart. But I'm not sure if he is ever going to be the one he was...

It's Sam I feel sorry for. He is going to be stuck in the Night's Watch without his best mate.

:agree:

I think the Nights Watch as it has been known for thousands of years is done and over.

After/if the dust settles from the war against the Others the NW will go through a dramatic overhaul in rules and procedure.

If the institution survives at all that is

I mean even now the NW castles are garrisoned by men who are not members if the Nights Watch

I've never understood why Jon would be expected to maintain the title of LC after an attempted assassination. Isn't that kind of the most definitive way to be fired or forced into retirement? Even with most of the support of the NW, which we don't know if he has, how can anyone maintain a position of leadership after those who are supposed to be most loyal to you tried to kill you? Would they simply demote him to a ranger? I understand Jon took a vow, and refused Winterfell and everything, but why does everyone assume Jon will be welcomed back as LC with open arms?

If Jon maintains the power, it will be in a different way. I can definitely see him being a leader and rebuilding the NW, but a NW without such strange and harsh rules. I think Jon understood and agreed with Mance Rayder's words and will make the new "NW" a place where men can choose to fight and pledge their lives while not being called criminals if they want to be with a woman or wear colors.

I think it'll be the freedom he'll need to actually leave the NW and follow one of his many destinies.

Bingo!

I think "death" lets Jon get outta there.

- I have no idea where next for Jon - any guesses? North of the wall? South to WF? Further south to KL?

- another question: what about Melisandre? She has grand plans for Jon, I feel. If he's dead or near dead won't that leave her free to do pretty much whatever with him? If he's to be truly free of the wall & the NW, he has to be gotten away from her somehow, right?

- or, is Jon getting away from the NW, explicitly to become part of Mel's schemes - the new AA or something (this has been posited before, I know)? (she's lost her Stannis, so she gets herself a new mannis?)

I don't think you can call it a broken vow if you are riding against an aggressor who is going to attack the nw.

So true... Jon's announcement that he was going to break his vows really puzzled me. His decission to go south could have been perfectly justified as protecting the Night's Watch....

I can't help but think he might be the last LC of the NW.

The part of all of this that really squicks me out, is what Mel has planned. Lysa molesting an injured LF was the first image that came to mind, quite frankly. Mel is way to interested in Jon for his own good, and now he's vulnerable to her 'ministrations'. :stillsick:

Archived