A Question about Jeyne Poole

seda_cuervo

Hi, I'm a new member to this site, but I've been lurking for sometime while trying to muster some courage to post this topic, as I fear my question would be seen as stupid, easily explainable, and/or it is a question that was already asked. I just started reading AGoT, and I am confused as to how Jeyne Poole, a steward's daughter, was allowed to tease and be cruel to the Lord's daughter and evade punishment for disrespecting her "superior." Is it because the environment of Winterfell is really laidback and egalitarian compared to other castles? Was Jeyne's teasing of Arya just not well-known? Or did Ned and Catelyn just viewed her teasing as harmless and not worth starting drama over?

Hi, I'm a new member to this site, but I've been lurking for sometime while trying to muster some courage to post this topic, as I fear my question would be seen as stupid, easily explainable, and/or it is a question that was already asked. I just started reading AGoT, and I am confused as to how Jeyne Poole, a steward's daughter, was allowed to tease and be cruel to the Lord's daughter and evade punishment for disrespecting her "superior." Is it because the environment of Winterfell is really laidback and egalitarian compared to other castles? Was Jeyne's teasing of Arya just not well-known? Or did Ned and Catelyn just viewed her teasing as harmless and not worth starting drama over?

Part of it is this. But they were also concerned by Arya's unladylike behavior and they were probably thinking it might make her begin to behave herself. Septa Mordane would often despair at how hopeless Arya is.

The one in chage of the girls's education was the septa Mordane, and she was more concerned with Arya;s behaviour than with Jeyne;s teasing. Besides, I think Jeyne didn;t bother Arya when the septa was watching, but when the girls were left alone. It could be as the discussion Sansa and Arya had in needlework class: Sansa was quiet so the septa only heard Arya screaming, and when she asked what the matter was, Sansa lied about it. It happens nowdays in schools, they call it "bullying".

If only they copped off that bitch's head then...

How THAT would have changed things.

Finally someone who understands the complexity of young bullying. If only thier where more people like us than maybe................ I can't think of how things would be better, but they would be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived