What needs to happen for you to support/root for (f)Aegon?

Jon of the Dead

I have always liked (f)Aegon and thought he was an interesting diversion on Tyrion's way to Mereen. I liked reading about him and was pretty surprised of the amount of bile and vitriol on the forums over him when I started reading (f)Aegon threads. The two major criticisms against him hold very little weight with me.

1) "he showed up too late in the game and I will never like him because I have established favourites and can't possibly like several different characters"- This is bizarre to me for two reasons. Firstly its GRRM's story - he can introduce characters at any time without his fan base's permission. And secondly, Aegon is mentioned dozens of times with very graphic descriptions of Gregor's awful bashing of his skull. It was a surprise to find him alive but I had come to the conclusion as to his identity while Tyrion was working it out and was not shocked by the final sentence that confirmed my suspicions. We knew enough about his supposed death, and the circumstances leading to it, to make the rational behind him being alive at least plausible. If you think of aSoIaF as one book overall, Aegon is a plot twist in the middle of a story that we don't yet know the end of, or the length of for that matter. I have never understood the assertion that just because he was not introduced in person (though he was in name and lineage) from GoT he is somehow invalid as an actual part of the story.

2) "He is not a real Targaryen". I don't know why this matters as to his likabilitiy. If he is Rhaygar's son, he's a cool addition to an almost extinct Targ line up. If he is not, he is likely a descendant from a bad ass Blackfyre. Either makes him a historically important character. And what's more, if he is isn't a Targ, I'm not certain how it will ever come out. JonCon believes he is Rhaygar's son, Aegon believes he is Rhaygar's son, Tyrion believes he is Rhaygar's son - the only people who would ever know he was a plant would be Varys/Illyrio and it does their cause absolutely no good to tell anyone he isn't a Targ. GRRM has promised we would never see a Varys POV and I would be shocked if we ever get an Illyrio POV. Short of him getting eaten by a dragon I'm not sure how the story could unfold to show he was an un-Targ.

The way I see it he can't be both an unimportant waste of time and a part of some huge multigenerational revenge conspiracy that culminates with him taking the throne. I for one think he is an interesting wrench in the works and am delighted at the thought of reading Cersie find out about him.

ETA: Sorry I realize now this is a bit serious of a post for such a light hearted thread but I have been holding this mini-rant in for a while now = P

George doesn't need our permission to introduce someone this late in the game, but by the same token, we don't have to like the plot/character either

Of course, I just think that if the only reason a person can come up with for not liking a character is because they are introduced in a way they don't approve of its a pretty weak premise for the amount of hate he inspires.

Of course, I just think that if the only reason a person can come up with for not liking a character is because they are introduced in a way they don't approve of its a pretty weak premise for the amount of hate he inspires.

Characters are hated for far, far less than that. Not that I don't lean towards liking the guy (or that I agree with the common criticisms), but liking a character or not can be extremely capricious.

Oh, I know a lot of people who hate Aegon because of the way he was introduced; they think it's like a soap-opera twist that a seemingly dead character conviniently turns out to be alive. I can't say I blame them, as I myself don't like it much, but that's not the reason why I'm not very fond of the guy.

If he is Aegon Targaryen VI then I would like it more simply because it would prove Varys' honesty. But I don't think I would ever root for him much because the last dance involved the right person for the job being passed over just because she was a she and the queen wanted her kid on the throne. I think Dany's whole arc is to try and correct that mistake, to show that a competent queen can rule just as well or better than any king. I think Aegon will get caught up too much in the game and Dany will end the game.

In my case, I would care for Aegon's character if:

1. He starts showing some personality

2. He becomes attached to a very important character since I personally don't care much about JonCon and the Martells. But if he were to marry, for example, Sansa, then I'd be more interested to read about him and even root for him.

What about you?

He will be more developed as a character in TWOW. I think we need more of his history, and a better POV in his arc. I care about the Martells because of the murder of Elia and her children, however, they will be more interesting as their characters come to life in TWOW.

Edit for autocorrect

Oh, I know a lot of people who hate Aegon because of the way he was introduced; they think it's like a soap-opera twist that a seemingly dead character conviniently turns out to be alive. I can't say I blame them, as I myself don't like it much, but that's not the reason why I'm not very fond of the guy.

A seemingly dead character coming back is no less soap-opera than a bastard being a king.

I don't know, I don't particularly dislike Aegon for that, I've just seen a lot of people who do :dunno:

Agreed, definitely not a reason to dislike him. But...no doubt that the underdog bastard becoming the hero of the story is hugely cliche. Not that I mind....I always root for the underdog. That's why I like Dany, joking. I like Dany, but not because she is an underdog.

Archived