Who is best suited to lead the fight against the Others?

Leman Russ

actually the dragons inspire fear and love and loyalty not Dany.

You do realise that Dany herself is feared and loved, right? The Unsullied and her Freedmen and Jorah and her Khalasar all love her, even after she chains her dragons. The Yunkai'i still fear her even when she chains her dragons. Etc.

This argument is just stupid. It's like saying "Grey Wind got Robb crowned" because he bit the Greatjon's fingers which led to him respecting Robb. It's stupid.

I see Theon doing something sacrificial deep inside LoAW (Frodo/Sam/Gollum style). Perhaps Jaime too.

Theon is possibly on a redemptive upswing, so maybe he'll die a hero fighting off wights and buying time for Jon, Stannis and the rest to get further south.

There has been a lot of criticism about Dany as a ruler, but I think most readers can agree that she's naturally good at being a leader (whilst the opposite is true of Jon and Tyrion ... just like how Aegon the Conqueror's sisters were more suited to ruling than he was, whilst he was more suited to leading). She's charismatic, and manages to inspire fear and love and loyalty all at the same time.

Sorry but where in the text does it show Dany inspiring loyalty?

You got her Unsullied, which are basically robots.

You got her Freedmen, who are simply sticking with her because there is nowhere else to go.

And you have her sellswords who are there because they get paid.

You do realise that Dany herself is feared and loved, right? The Unsullied and her Freedmen and Jorah and her Khalasar all love her, even after she chains her dragons. The Yunkai'i still fear her even when she chains her dragons. Etc.

Sons of Harpy, Cleon, Green grace disagree.

Sorry but where in the text does it show Dany inspiring loyalty?

You got her Unsullied, which are basically robots.

You got her Freedmen, who are simply sticking with her because there is nowhere else to go.

And you have her sellswords who are there because they get paid.

The Unsullied are robots? That's a reallllly shallow (and incorrect) reading of the text. The Unsullied are so "robotic" that they visit sex workers and request to be cuddled. And later they refuse to serve Hizdahr. They may be more obedient than most people, but they're still very human.

Her Freedmen ADORE her, hence why they arrive at the Pyramid and start chanting for their "mother" after she disappears from Meereen. They also refuse to acknowledge Hizdahr as their King without Dany there.

If the sellswords were there because they get paid, they would have all switched to the Yunkai'i (who can pay far more than Daenerys). Daario saw something in Dany in ASoS, so he turned his cloak and has remained loyal to her ever since. THAT is called inspiring loyalty.

And just read the end of AGoT again, when Dany notes:

And after them came her handmaids, and then the others, all the Dothraki, men and women and children, and Dany had only to look at their eyes to know that they were hers now, today and tomorrow and forever, hers as they had never been Drogo's.

Sons of Harpy, Cleon, Green grace disagree.

The Sons of the Harpy attack at night precisely because they fear Daenerys. The Green Grace, as of yet, has never been openly antagonistic towards Daenerys, nor was King Cleon (who, if you remember, actually proposed to Daenerys).

The Sons of the Harpy attack at night precisely because they fear Daenerys. The Green Grace, as of yet, has never been openly antagonistic towards Daenerys, nor was King Cleon (who, if you remember, actually proposed to Daenerys).

Someone doesn't need to have a wild imagination to see that GG is the Harpy. They fear her because they fear her dragons. Without her dragons she has nothing. It was with her dragons she took the Unsuilled, the dragons conquered the cities. She hasn't fight so she hasn't earned anything by herself unlike Robb who was a fighter and he won the battles he didn't send GW to do the dirty job for him because he couldn't do it.

Here are some quotes for y'all who are saying Stannis:

Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow ... mother of dragons, slayer of lies ...

The sword is wrong, she has to know that... light without heat... an empty glamor... the sword is wrong, and the false light can only lead us deeper into darkness, Sam.

The Unsullied are robots? That's a reallllly shallow (and incorrect) reading of the text. The Unsullied are so "robotic" that they visit sex workers and request to be cuddled. And later they refuse to serve Hizdahr. They may be more obedient than most people, but they're still very human.

Her Freedmen ADORE her, hence why they arrive at the Pyramid and start chanting for their "mother" after she disappears from Meereen. They also refuse to acknowledge Hizdahr as their King without Dany there.

If the sellswords were there because they get paid, they would have all switched to the Yunkai'i (who can pay far more than Daenerys). Daario saw something in Dany in ASoS, so he turned his cloak and has remained loyal to her ever since. THAT is called inspiring loyalty.

Why do her Freedmen call her Mother? They are utterly and totally dependent on her for their well-being, under Hizdahr they could easily be enslaved again or worse. Loyalty implies that you choose to be loyal, the whole "You're Free" thing was forced upon them and now they have nowhere else to go.

Daario is only loyal to Dany because they do it alot and he sees Dany as the winning side in the war in that region. We will see how loyal he is when shit hits the fan. Besides, the Stormcrows have already defected, the rest will follow suit if the siege of Mereen goes awry.

The Unsullied are robotic and are programmed to follow Dany, so it makes sense that they wouldn't follow someone else.

I don't think we "all" agree on that. Maybe a minority who don't think a woman can lead a war against a supernatural foe, but others seem to recognise that she's a very valid candidate.

Someone doesn't need to have a wild imagination to see that GG is the Harpy. They fear her because they fear her dragons. Without her dragons she has nothing. It was with her dragons she took the Unsuilled, the dragons conquered the cities. She hasn't fight so she hasn't earned anything by herself unlike Robb who was a fighter and he wone the battles he didn't send GW to do the dirty job for him because he couldn't do it.

Dany used Drogon to conquer Astapor, just like Robb used Grey Wind to win the Greatjon to his side. She then won Yunkai through her own tactics, and took Meereen by listening to her advisers and taking a calculated risk.

I really fail to see the difference, apart from your own weird personal bias.

Oh, wait, there is a difference: Robb was raised to be a lord and taught how to fight and educated properly. Dany was deprived of that. If she can't fight in battles herself (until she rides Drogon into battle), it's certainly not something that should be held against her.

Also L M F A O. Do you not remember that battle where Robb only won because Grey Wind found a way around the Lannister camp??? So he DID send Grey Wind "to do the dirty job for him because he couldn't do it". Dany, on the other hand, has never sent her dragons out when she hasn't been around. She wielded Drogon herself at Astapor.

So I'll repeat my initial assessment of your argument: it's stupid.

I don't think we "all" agree on that. Maybe a minority who don't think a woman can lead a war against a supernatural foe, but others seem to recognise that she's a very valid candidate.

I love how you immediately assume someone who doesn't want Dany to lead the fight against the Others is sexist.

Dany used Drogon to conquer Astapor, just like Robb used Grey Wind to win the Greatjon to his side. She then won Yunkai through her own tactics, and took Meereen by listening to her advisers and taking a calculated risk.

I really fail to see the difference, apart from your own weird personal bias.

Oh, wait, there is a difference: Robb was raised to be a lord and taught how to fight and educated properly. Dany was deprived of that. If she can't fight in battles herself (until she rides Drogon into battle), it's certainly not something that should be held against her.

Also L M F A O. Do you not remember that battle where Robb only won because Grey Wind found a way around the Lannister camp??? So he DID send Grey Wind "to do the dirty job for him because he couldn't do it". Dany, on the other hand, has never sent her dragons out when she hasn't been around. She wielded Drogon herself at Astapor.

So I'll repeat my initial assessment of your argument: it's stupid.

By wielded do you mean she said a word? Oxcross wasn't won by Grey Wind. He simply led them to the battlefield, while Drogon on the other hand just gave Dany Astrapor.

Here are some quotes for y'all who are saying Stannis:

Its true Stannis would be a good leader.

But I like your point considering him being one of the lies to slay, totally forgot about that.

Based at that I am looking at Jon leading the battle against the others in the North and Dany in the South.

Someone doesn't need to have a wild imagination to see that GG is the Harpy. They fear her because they fear her dragons. Without her dragons she has nothing. It was with her dragons she took the Unsuilled, the dragons conquered the cities. She hasn't fight so she hasn't earned anything by herself unlike Robb who was a fighter and he won the battles he didn't send GW to do the dirty job for him because he couldn't do it.

In a way the fact that she hatched the dragons is why they should fear her most. Everyone who has attempted to do it in the last two hundred or so years has failed and in many cases dead. Now along comes a 14 year old girl who does the impossible walks unscathed into a fire and emerges unharmed and with the first dragons seen in centuries. Come on that's pretty scary.

Archived