Who is best suited to lead the fight against the Others?

Leman Russ

Can somebody explain the difference to me?

Leading: Being able to get people to follow you on what may or may not be something stupid and ill-advised.

Ruling: Actual competent governance.

Dany may have a talent for the former but not the latter. And leading isn't worth much when the only place you can lead people is off a cliff.

Leading: Being able to get people to follow you on what may or may not be something stupid and ill-advised.

Dany may have a talent for the former but not the latter. And leading isn't worth much when the only place you can lead people is off a cliff.

Ah, like Robert Baratheon.

You do realise that Dany herself is feared and loved, right? The Unsullied and her Freedmen and Jorah and her Khalasar all love her, even after she chains her dragons. The Yunkai'i still fear her even when she chains her dragons. Etc.

This argument is just stupid. It's like saying "Grey Wind got Robb crowned" because he bit the Greatjon's fingers which led to him respecting Robb. It's stupid.

Indeed. Unfortunately, the trenches have already been dug, and I expect that no amount of argument can drag people out of them. We'll die in these holes. Doesn't mean I'm not game, though.

so? she literally gave birth tho the three reptiles she has near her? No.

The point is that by a magical one time thing and because of MMD's magic Dany got her dragons and the dragons gave her everything. On her own she would have nothing.

Would you respect Dany more if she literally gave birth to three dragons? This is a very weird thing to have expected of her, and as an argument it makes less sense than an ostrich applying for a bank loan so it can start its own small business running bird-drawn sled teams across the Alaskan wilderness.

The point is that regardless of who actually cast a spell at the pyre that night, Dany Targ -- and no one else -- decided to bind Mirri to the pyre, place the eggs next to Drogo, and walk into the flames. That is precisely when and how she earned her dragons. It was bold, it was awe-inspiring, and it has affected how people view her ever since. The dragons are a part of her, and it's ridiculous to separate them by saying that Dany hasn't earned anything because the dragons did it for her. The dragons are a resource to be used, and Dany used them, just like everyone else in the story has used their own resources (Robb used his army, for instance). It's also absurd to expect a 13-year-old girl to charge into battle waving a sword around. Dany is not a warrior, she's a leader. You seem to think there is something inherently contemptible about that, but for the life of me I don't know why. I expect it's backed by as great a paucity of rationality as the rest of your opinions about Dany. As I recall, Stannis himself prefers to lead from the rear. How many Englishmen, I wonder, did Joan of Arc kill by her own hand?

we know that fire can kill wights but we have zero evidence that can harm the Others in anyway

Right. Why on earth would anyone think it's possible that flying furnaces could harm ice monsters? It's not at all like fire melts ice IRL or anything. I know we haven't seen any dragon/Other interaction, but it's stupid to sit there and tell me that dragons fighting Others doesn't stand to reason. I expect damage can be done both ways.

are we sure that they can survive during LN2.0?

Are we sure that the Others can survive dragons?

and yet Meraxes was unable to fight during a storm, of course Dany's chicks will survive during LN2.0. :bang:

Incorrect. Meraxes was unable, or maybe just unwilling, to fly during the storm. He still fought and, according to GRRM, was "just as deadly on the ground as in the air."

Bonus points for female parts, right?

Well, the first major battle will be held by Stannis to me.

Then, as (or if) Jon returns, he reunites with Bran and together they fight them.

Danaerys joins them.

They all die in the attempt, and Aegon becomes the king, marries Cersei and fathers another blond bastard Lannister!

Aww, the wonders of life!

Butterbumps, Florina Stark, PatrickStormborn, Apple Martini, The Great Walrus, Stannis Bamfatheon, JQC, E-Ro, David Selig, this thread is like the forum all stars edition, I freaking love it!

On topic though, Stannis and Jon are the combination that will bust the Others up, good and proper, probably with Stannis dying heroically to save humanity and Jon rallying them in his name for the final fight. That would make me extremely happy and sad at the same time.

Stannis no nonsense, battle hardened strategic mind, coupled with Jon's compassionate brand of pragmatism is a winning combination.

Again, I'm freaking loving this thread!

In the seem sense, there are a lot of posters who take their dislike of other main characters to far as well. Jon, Stannis, Sansa and Jamie; being among them. My suggestion would be to block the certain posters, who are blindly throwing hate around. JonsQueenConsort, suggested this to me, after I sent her a PM regarding someone's blatant dislike of Jon was getting under my skin.

Wait, you asked for advice on how to deal with posters "who are blindly throwing hate around" from Jon's Queen Consort of all people? The irony here is just too much.

Have you ever read any of her posts about Catelyn or Dany?

Wait, you asked for advice on how to deal with posters "who are blindly throwing hate around" from Jon's Queen Consort of all people? The irony here is just too much.

Have you ever read any of her posts about Catelyn or Dany?

Of course, I have and many of yours too. It was more like, general random chatter; not advice seeking. But she informed me of the "block" option, to which I am greatful.

Archived