Favorite/Best scene

Laenn

I don't know about you, but I got a great surge of excitement when King Stannis Baratheon appeared beyond the wall, laying waste to Mance Raider and his Wildlings. I never cared much for Mance, and he was getting cocky with Jon bragging about the Horn of Winter and his grand master plan, so it felt great when Stannis came to put him in his place. That entire event was so sudden and unexpected. I also loved Stannis' line, "I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, but should have been saving the kingdom to win the throne".

:agree:

I LOVE Jon thinking it's Robert, and when Orell's eagle explodes.

One of the more poignant scenes for me is after Tyrion gives the Starks the idea for the special saddle so Bran can ride a horse again, and later Robb sits in Bran's room and they talk about how maybe someday Bran can ride out to greet his mother or they can ride up to the Wall to see Jon together, and it says Robb is crying in the darkness as he holds Bran's hand (or something to that effect) .... Well, after reading ASoS, that just brings tears to my eyes thinking about that scene.

I also love how GRRM wrote the showdown scene between Robb and Greatjon when Grey Wind bites his two fingers off, and suddenly the Greatjon laughs and is thereafter one of Robb's staunchest champions. That was a great moment!

a couple of people have mentioned Tyrion's trial by combat with the mountain and the Viper, but I also really enjoy his trial with Bronn as his champion. Beautifully illustrates what a lightly armored, highly skilled warrior can do against an overly encumbered opponent. This was the beginning of my man crush on Bronn.

Could say that as well

I liked whole journey to the Vale and back too...

The Tower of Joy and the Knight of the Laughing Tree scenes are the all time favorites for me. You know the book's good when you want to know it's 'back' story as well as the current one.

Red Wedding, Tyrion's trial where Oberyn and Gregor fight, and the Battle in Blackwater Bay. Most dramatic moments. I could almost see myself there, my heart in my throat.

When the Starks found the direwolves. I don't know why, but I love that scene. It showed us so much about the characters in just one chapter.

When Ygritte died and when Lady was killed.

And yes, the birth of the shadowbabies. Chills up my spine!

The Tyrion POV for the battle of blackwater. I found Davos's POV on kinda eh.

Tyrion, after his men refused to join him to charge Stannis's troops attacking the gate.

"They call me the half-man. What does that make you?"

(from memory, dont have the book handy)

Best line ever.

Battle of Blackwater is is an awesome scene.

Dany in the house of the undying is also great.

-btw - what happend to Dawn anyway? I should know I guess, but I can't remember right now.

Ned and Howland brought it back to Ashara Dayne at Starfall, remember?

My favorite scenes:

- ToJ, obviously. I get chills when I read the part about Ned's men stepping ("his wraiths moved up next to him") up next to him. They knew there was going to be blood spilled, most likely a good amount of theirs, but they STILL stood with Ned against three of the best knights in the realm. YES!

- Meera telling Bran about the little Crannogman who went to the Isle of Faces and then to the Tourney at Harranhal. I love how the Starks are described -- the wild wolf, the quiet wolf, the pup and the she-wolf. :love:

- Oberyn's story to Tyrion as he is getting armored up to fight the Mountain. "Elia and her children have waited long for justice... but this day they shall have it." CHILLS.

- Arya talking to Ned Dayne. When she finds out he's the Lord of Starfall. Something is so cute about that conversation... especially when Ned tells her he's the Lord of Starfall.

- I also love the Ygritte and Jon conversation where she says something like: "You're mine, mine as I'm yours. And if we die, we die. All men must die, Jon Snow. But first we'll live."

There are so many awesome scenes!

the scenes which that i felt most stronly about were when Jamie pushes Bran out the window ("The things I do for love"). I had read that GRRM liked killing off main characters on Amazon reviews so I thought Bran was dead so I was like WTFFF.

the second time was when Theon seems to kill Bran and Rickon. I kept telling myself, no way are they dead" but still had doubts like "what if they are?"

the last one was when Arya goes blind

i think i felt the most satisfaction in the last Cersei POV of AFfC. When the high septon revealed the information torture had elicited from Osney and had Cersei imprisoned, i was like "finally, bitch got owned!"

Jaime burning her letter was icing on the cake.

Tyrion, after his men refused to join him to charge Stannis's troops attacking the gate.

"They call me the half-man. What does that make you?"

Yep. I concur, one of the best lines ever.

Another favorite scene of mine, the one that has my all time fave quotes, was when Jon and Maester Aemon were talking about why the Night's Watch don't get married or have kids.

"Love is the bane of honor, the death of duty"...“We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.â€

And that was when we found out Aemon's real identity. :D

Ahhh so many memorable scenes.

The razor sharp exchange between the Blackfish and Jaime in AFFC.

The dialogue and fight between the Hound and Dondarrion. Love the Hounds brutal humor.

"...I hope your god's a sweet one, Dondarrion. You're going to meet him shortly."

And Septon Meribalds sober description of common men being marched off to war...

Theon invading Winterfell was a cool moment. I should've seen it coming and was mildly surprised when it happened. it really made his character more significant in the series. i've always liked Theon as a character even though he is a dirtbag. maybe it's his cockiness and bravado that intrigues me.

I've got to go with the discussion between Catelyn Stark & Brienne after (before?) the meeting between Stannis & Renly. They're looking over the nobility of the Reach, and Brienne describes them as the Knights of Summer... Catelyn's response is Stark, not Tully: "Winter is Coming"... That, more than anything, set the stage of the books for me.

The fight at the crossroads inn

The Hound and Arya versus Tickler and Polliver, and that young fella with the pimple.

When the Hound puts that notched sword halfway through Pollivers, head, and then yanks it out, along with half his face, i could just SEE him standing there, covered in blood, about to descend upon The Tickler. My favourite character.

A pub fight in Westeros, how could it get any awesomer.

The duel between The Red Viper and The Mountain that Rides has to be near the very top. Oberyn Martell is truly the Inigo Montoya of ASoIaF.

I made an icon about that.

Anyway, here's my favorite scenes:

Oberyn vs. the Monster that Rapes

Birth of the Dragons

"THE KING IN THE NORTH!!" -gives me goosebumps every time I read it

Dany pwns the slavers- I actually raised my fist in the air & shouted YES when I read this

Capt. of the Guards chapter- Achingly beautiful, full of pain & grief

And my #1...

"Vengeance. Justice. Fire & Blood." -unparalleled awesomeness. The standard by which future scenes will be measured

Here are Five:

When Robb called the Banners and they were marching into Winterfell, In Bran's POV (ACOK) that chapter really gave you the raw feeling of the people of the North. Shortly after --> Umber's encounter w/ Robb and Grey Wind... and how he laughs near the end of that crazy scene.

Tyrion walking away after telling Jon, "All dwarfs may be bastards, yet not all bastards need be dwarfs". When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king.

Maester Aemon talking of Tyrion, during his visit to the wall... "I think he is a giant come among us, here at the end of the world." and Tyrion being touched by his genuine compliment.

Jon & Ygritte's scene in the cave... a bittersweet re-read. Really feel bad for Ygritte. Even a girl kissed by fire, can't save them from the pull society had on the two of'em

And the Prologue where Ser Waymar Royce fought the Others. I mean, it was this chapter that really sold me into this series. I wasn't ever recommended ASOIAF by a friend or anything... I was in the library looking for a book (though i was supposed to be studying for the DATs... an exam for dentistry...) and after reading this chapter i was friggen hooked.

Favorite. Too many But ones that made me glad of this series -

Arya getting Needle from Jon.

The night being full of the song of dragons.

Tyrion shooting his horrible monster of a father on the privy and noting Tywin did not, after all, shit gold.

Joffrey's wedding.

The monks on the isle.

Cersei being arrested.

Favorite. Too many But ones that made me glad of this series -

Arya getting Needle from Jon.

The night being full of the song of dragons.

Tyrion shooting his horrible monster of a father on the privy and noting Tywin did not, after all, shit gold.

Joffrey's wedding.

The monks on the isle.

Cersei being arrested.

Oh yeah, Arya getting Needle from Jon <-- Great, great scene :)

Archived