Favorite/Best scene

Laenn

So many moments, and many of them well represented here. There's nothing like a GRRM scene to send a chill through you, boil your blood or choke you right up.

I can't possible choose a best, but one I haven't read here and that shook me was Harwin taking a knee upon recognizing Arya. "Arya Stark, daughter of the Hand". Reduced me to tears, thinking this poor lost twisted little girl was finally going to find her way home.

(Not that THAT worked out...)

I have so many favorite scenes in the series, but the one that sticks out the most is Littlefinger kissing Sansa in the snow at the Eyrie. After all the heart wrenches ASoS gave me, a lovely scene like that at the end of the book was just what I needed.

That and they're my favorite ship. :P

I have so many favorite scenes in the series, but the one that sticks out the most is Littlefinger kissing Sansa in the snow at the Eyrie. After all the heart wrenches ASoS gave me, a lovely scene like that at the end of the book was just what I needed.

That and they're my favorite ship. :P

Same for me!! :mellow:

It's got to be the Red Wedding. The beatiful thing about that scene was how well Martin built up "The Rains of Castamere" throughout the series, so you know when it starts playing that everything's going to shit. I just got a little shiver as soon as the musicians started up, because the words are just so perfect to Robb's situation:

"And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?"

Scary stuff. Brilliant writing.

The Red Wedding is the first, last, and only time I paused to yell profanities out loud at a book. And then I had to smoke two consecutive cigarettes before I could pick the book up again.

I have to agree, it was by far the least expected moment in the books. Especially the death of Cathleen where it says how Rob did break his word, but Cathleen kept hers. I also had to light a cigarette, so in a way, this book is killing us :whip: .

Apart from that, I enjoyed the scene where Arya was killing Dansen and Polyver asking “Is there gold in the village?†and stabbing him.

Let us not forget the happiest moment of reading the books: The death of Cersey’s monster son and the way it happened, spiced up with Tyrion killing his father. Those were good chapters.

It is kinda silly but there is the part in AGoT where Ned and Robert ride out of the camp on the way to KL and Robert tells Ned that they should just keep riding so they can be free like in their youth. Ned says "We are not the boys we used to be" and Robert grumbles "You were never the boy you used to be". It just really cracks me up. Also loved the fight with the Others and the Battle of the Blackwater Rush.

At the Hand's tournament, after the Mountain loses to Loras, and then he gets up and goes over to kill him, and then the Hound steps up and blocks his attack. This is the scene during which I first started to like the Hound.

I forgot that and I have just reread that chapter!! Loved it too. When the Hound says Try me I just wanted to cheer.

Well I really liked the scenes with Tyrion and Jon together. Those were just great, like how they interacted and got along.

Tyrion -The scene with Aemon where he calls Tyrion a giant. I thought that was pretty touching for Tyrion anyway. Him killing Tywin is good too, but I kind of liked how he killed Shae more just because of the rhyme, "For hands of gold are always cold, but a woman's hands are warm." I always wanted to know the rest of the rhyme or song or whatever it was.

Jon - When he becomes the LC, the fight with the Halfhand, and the Lord's kiss scene :D .

Bran - First chapter, the fall, and when he wakes up.

Catelyn - When Bran's hired killer comes, and the Red Wedding

Dany - Birth of the dragons

I'll probably come back with more later

• 1 month later...

My all-time favorite scene is the Red Wedding. The buildup is incredible.

You know because of Walder Frey's personality that he will get some revenge. Martin leads you to believe it will be based on the choices for the bride, but trouble starts from the moment they get to the castle and GreyWind causes one of the Freys to fall off his horse. Then Cat makes sure they eat in order to gain the 'guest rights' heh.

When you get to the choosing of the bride, you feel surprise that there are some good choices. Everyone relaxes and they start to enjoy themselves. Up to this point songs have been played so frequently that your sick of them--'Bear in the Maiden Fair' and 'Casterly Rock' (Notice that this is the only book where songs are played at such great frequency). The bedding begins.

One of the knights gets mad and storms off. Cat goes to check on him, touches his arm--he's wearing armor.

The boy king that never was defeated in battle--dies from treachery! I was shocked. Walder Frey is one of the most evil character's in the book!

Other favorites:

Jon Snow being voted Lord Commander. "Snow, Snow."

Lysa revealed as her husbands murderer.

Tywin's funeral where Olenna and Cersei get into it. LOL. As well as the part where Kevan rejects the position of the hand and questions the father of Cersei's children.

There's a lot more but the post, ahem, only called for one ;)

Oh God, so many. There's the ones everybody's mentioned already - Red Wedding and Oberyn vs. Gregor.

I love the scene between Jaime and Catelyn where he tells her how Aerys killed Brandon and Rickard. As I read that I got this slow, creeping realisation that I was actually liking Jaime and I thought to myself, what is wrong with you? This is Jaime Lannister! The guy's a prick! Oh how little I knew...

I adore Tyrion and Sansa's wedding night as well. I have never loved Tyrion more than when he promised he wouldn't touch her until she wanted him to.

This is a really random one but I also love Tyrion's flashback/dream of his time with Tysha at the end of ACoK. A strange squeaking noise actually escaped from me as I read that. The kissing of lazy servants and the "My face?" and the "Tyrion and Tysha. Tysha and Tyrion..." Awwwww! See? I just did it again! Squeaking noise!

Its only been mentioned about a hundred times but the Red Wedding is a really great scene as is Ned's flashback to the Tower of Joy, Oberyn and Gregor had me on the edge of my seat, and when Robb is crowned KING IN THE NORTH!

I think my favourite scene would have to be one of Ned's when he had done the deal with Littlefinger to get the gold cloaks onside and then he walks into the hall and is pleased to see so many gold cloaks along the walls. I was pumped to think that Cersei and Joff were going to get what was coming to them. Of course we all know how it ended though...

Jesus, it really is just one amazing scene after another, eh?

To me, I prefer the little moments that GRRM take the time to put in....

Tyrion showing up just to give the saddle plans to Bran. They all hate him...but Tyrion walks in and out with his head held high.

Aeron Greyjoy drowning children, upset at the one that is struggling.....are you kidding me?!?!!?!?

Little knowns scenes -

Theon's comment about direwolf pups - why you do not listen to him, idiot of a father?!

Balon tearing the necklace from Teon and burning Robb's letter.

All Hound scenes (exept for final conversation. I still hate Arya.)

All Damphair scenes

The quiet confrontation between Ned and Cersei in the garden and we find out the truth about her children is extremely cool. And the Battle of the Blackwater is awesome, especially when Tyrion sallies out whilst Sandor is too afraid. And Doran revealing the truth to Arianne is just great. And Jaime leaping into the bear pit to save Brienne.

However, my favourite scene is the one where GRRM didn't take the easy way out: Oberyn getting his head pulped and Tyrion throwing up in shock. It would have been so easy for Oberyn just to defeat Gregor and get Tyrion off the hook, but George knew that would be pure cheesy BS, so he did it the hard way. Awesome.

Archived