Favorite/Best scene

Laenn

It's hard to pick a favorite... and a lot of the truly good ones have received their proper attention here. However, there's one that hasn't. It's been mentioned twice, but I think it deserves a bit more than that.

The prologue for A Storm of Swords, from Chett's perspective up on the wall. We get a flashback from the mind of one of the soon-to-be-fallen crows. A perspective into who the average crow is, and why he ended at the wall. We see the groundwork for an escape from the Night's Watch, and the bitterness and anger directed at several 'companions'... Tarly principal among them. An intricate plan, ruined by snow, apparently. GRRM takes us from sorrow to pride to anger to despair... and then utter terror.

This is the scene where the horn is blown three times:

Chett's getting ready to kill Tarly... it's the least he can do.

[Horn blows]

Damn... rangers returning... this will be tricky.

[Horn blows]

Uh oh, wildlings attacking... gotta get ready to fight

[Horn blows]

[Chett pees himself]

I've read the series at least five times through (Ok... only 2x for AFfC), and this prologue chapter, of all things, gives me the chills *every single time*.

I guess it's that we've had the spectre of the Others lurking in the back of our minds since the prologue to AGoT... the first chapter of the entire series. We haven't seen them since then (I don't think the two wights really count), but we know they're out there, and that they're one of the central threats of the series. We also know that they're the ultimate reason for the existence of the Night's Watch, and we know that the Night's Watch has fallen into disrepair. Moreover, the entire prologue up to that point shows how close the Night's Watch is to breaking down altogether. And then, just when the Night's Watch is at its most vulnerable, the ancient threat returns. And it returns with that most visceral and ancient of signals: a solo horn, sounded three times.

<shiver>

The Red Viper Vs The Mountain - This was GRRM at his best. After I read this, I could have swore that I was there watching the entire duel. Tyrion throwing up afterwards was funny as well.

Rob telling Bran how surprised their mother would be when she sees Bran riding a horse. Then Bran feeling his smile in the dark. That was touching.

Eddard's dream of the ToJ for me. Not orginal, but if I had to name one, that's it.

I totally agree with this, I also have to vote for the defense of the Wall and the Oberyn and Gregor fight.

All of the scenes are so visceral, and you can justt feel the regret, tension, and rage ( respectively) in each scene.

I only read the first two pages or so so forgive me if it's been mentioned,

I really enjoyed the Cat of the Canals scene, where she kills that drunk minstrel from the Nightwatch. I wanted him to die SO badly, and as soon as Arya was talking to him, I knew her inner-Stark was going to kill him. And then... she didn't. I was so dissapointed. But at the very end she presents the boots to the old guy and it was awesome. Awesome scene.

Actually, come to think of it, I really like the scene when Septon Meribald (The wandering brother with the dog) tells Brienne, Pod and Hyle Hunt about the sufferings of the smallfolk when the High Lords play their game of thrones. He explains how he suffered during the war of the Ninepenny Kings, and how his family fell apart, explaining a little about "broken men", without naming himself as one of those who suffered. Hyle Hunt then asks him how old he was when he was sent off to war. That was quite touching.

As with everyone else, there are a lot. I love when Tyrion kills Tywin, "I guess you don't shit gold" (or something to that effect). As much as I hate the Red Wedding, the scene is INCREDBILE along with everything leading up to it.

I also really like that first feast at Winterfell. Jon's insights are very astute and I love the image of Tyrion doing a blackflip off a wall. So random. And the scene where they find the direwolf pups. The symbolisim (antler in the throat) and Jon's willingness to not have a pup. I can hear the hollow stiffness in his voice when I picture the scene.

There are so many others, but I can't think of them now.

One of my favorite chapters in the entire series is Davos' chapter on the Blackwater. Just the tension, and the way it ends, is insane.

Probably in my top three scenes is when Dany and Drogo conceive. The whole moment, topped off by her becoming pregnant, then ending with "It was her fourteenth nameday." That is just too cool.

Another one way up there is when Arya escapes Harrenhal, kills the guards, and then looks at her bloody hands, thinking that "the rain will wash them clean again." It's just heartbreaking to see such a young child with such a view of life, but it's also liberating.

i think i felt the most satisfaction in the last Cersei POV of AFfC. When the high septon revealed the information torture had elicited from Osney and had Cersei imprisoned, i was like "finally, bitch got owned!"

Jaime burning her letter was icing on the cake.

Yes. I got an immense amount of satisfaction from that scene. I will be ticked if Jaime goes to defend her.

I also love the end of the chapter where Davos pulls out the letter from the and begins to read. I knew what it was and thought how brilliant.

To me, revelations and when characters have a feeling of enlightenment are really powerful (it's my teacher side coming out).

One of my favorite moments was at the end of ASOS when Jon looked into Ghost's face and saw the face of a weirwood and then realized what he needs to do.

Another favorite is when Jojen tells Bran how everyone is blessed with a talent. He has the green dreams and Meera can hunt like nobody's business and Bran can be a powerful warg.

I also like when Jaime goes back one handed to rescue Brienne from the bear pit.

In no particular order:

The gathering at Riverrun, was it, when Robb declares his severance from the Iron Throne and the lords of the North and Riverlands proclaim him "King in the North." The pages of the book prcatically vibrated with the power of their voices.

The multifaceted depictions of the Battle of the Blackwater: Tyrion (and Pod's!) valor, Cersei craveness, the ground's eye view by Davos - some truly stirring and hauting images from the battle - the great galley with the long iron ramming mast (Swordfish?) being too clumsy and slow being consumed by the green fire - Sansa's moment of glory in the feasthall - and the way that she surpised by the Hound in her own chambers?

The joy turned to anguish whirlwind of Sansa's dressmaker's appointment turning into a forced wedding was awesome in its cruelty and surprise.

A very human moment when Catelyn first sees Robb with his beard and seeing him as a man, and wishing him to live five, no fifty years , to grow strong and old..... sad. So sad.

I also loved the scene when Catelyn was counseling peace, and one of Robb's lords says "Your Ladyship is a woman, and the gentle sex doesn't understand war." Catelyn replies, dripping acid, "Give me Cersei Lannister and you will see how 'gentle' I can be."

I also loved Sansa's defiance when she is shown the heads of her father and Septa Mordane by Joffrey, who promises Robb's head as her nameday present. "Maybe he'll give me your head!"

Oberyn and the Mountain. Awesome and stunning. I was literally awed and stunned.

The scene when Sam passes through the door that is a human face by intoning the creed of the Night's Watch was just tingling with power and magic.

One particular part of the Battle of the Blackwater stands out for me. Tyrion saying, "Those are brave men. Let's go kill them." The image stood out so well in my mind. You've got these knights all over this trampled battlefield, and then you've got this river burning with green fire. It's bridged by these wrecked ships, and all these knights have abandoned their horses to run across it. Tyrion's just been saved, and the whole thing is a quasi-sojourn from the fighting, even when you know it's still going on everywhere. Then you get Tyrion saying, "Those are brave men. Let's go kill them." I think it would be one of the most impressive scenes if you ever made the books into movies - not that that's likely to happen or that it would even be a good thing if it did./

I love the image of Tyrion doing a blackflip off a wall. So random.

It's funny . . . that was the moment I fell madly in love with Tyrion, and he's been in my top five favorite characters since. It's just that you see him so clearly as someone who accepts what he is and makes the best of it, while men blessed with much more fail so miserably.

One of my absolute favorite scenes in the whole series is when Sansa goes to her room in KL and finds the Hound in there, drunk and ready to run away. My spine was tingling because it was so creepy, and yet, somehow, I really wanted her to at least pretend she was sorry to see him go (Hound is also in my top 5, incidentally).

I know it's been mentioned by just about everyone now, but I have to mention the Red Wedding. I've never cursed at anyone the way I cursed at Martin for the next ten minutes solid after that scene. And when I finally picked it back up and immediately was led to believe that the Hound murdered Arya . . . let's just say there was a half hour of my life where I seriously considered honouring my mother by washing my own mouth out with soap. I was so choked up by Arya trying to go in and save her mother, when her mother was probably already dead. I think that was more powerful than the wedding scene itself.

my favorite would be the parley between Renly and Stannis.

When Stannis says kings have no friends or something, Renly arrives and calls him brother in a passive sort of way, and there was the peach... :cool:

other faves are..

- Ser Waymar's blind courage "Dance with me then"

- Jon's confrontation with Catelyn at Bran's sickbed

- Jon saying goodbye to Robb for the last time "Farewell Snow" "And you, Stark"

- The Karstarks arriving at winterfell (the north banners are assembling, such tension!!!)

- Tywin learns Robb was "riding hard for Riverrun" (take that Tywin!!! :P )

- The Whispering Wood (I actually love the scenes we didn't experience firsthand)

--> Greywind riding beside Robb

--> Jaime's desperate charge

--> The young lords protecting Robb from Jaime

- When Tyrion was tempted to attack and shout "CASTERLY ROCK" during their battle at the vale, but the insanity passed quickly... :lol:

- Syrio protecting Arya

- Dale giving his father (Davos) a salute during the Blackwater Battle

- When Hot Pie panicked and shouted "I Yield!!!" when attempting to rescue Gendry

--> (this one's the funniest part for me in the books, I was totally unexpecting it. I thought he'd be more brave 'cuz Arya noted how he wasn't disturbed by the dead bodies, then, a distant voice calls and he yields!!! :lol: )

- Harwin recognizing "Arya Stark of Winterfell" (finally, Arya sees a friendly face.. :) )

- "He does my lord. the dwarf has quite convinced me"

- Dany's parley with the Yunkai defenders

- The escape from the fist, it is known... "RIDE!!!"

- Jon, Deaf Dick, & that prostitute (I think his name was Satin) sharing the same tower in their stand against the Magnar

- Half Mad Easy fighting the wildlings at the barrel wall like a madman (well, he is a madman...)

- Maester Aemon's "The Wall is Yours" speech...

Well, again, i have too many...

Ned's death(it did hit me hard, and that sort of made me think what ELSE was going to happen)

Another huge fan of the Oberyn vs. Mountain fight...uber dramatic

Purple Wedding...finally the little maggot got what he deserved. It's a shame strangler works so fast.

Story of the Night's King. Just gives me chills thinking thousands of years back, they were in a very old, haunted place.

The Red Wedding tops for dramatic...I also liked how there was 'something wrong, but didnt know what'...and that was one scene that nearly made me throw the book across the room, stick my fingers in my ears and sing 'lalalala...im not seeing this...lalalala..'

Summer and Shaggy cutting off Maester Luwin's story of the children when the raven bringing word of Ned's death. Actually, including the scene leading up to it where Shaggy went crazy in the tomb and Rickon insisting 'I saw him here.'

The scene when the Sansa sings for the Hound. It showed that there was something underneath all of the rage inside of him.

And a line that made me laugh for days...not dramatic but just damn funny...when Oberyn was explaining how he and his sister were as close as Jaime and Cercei, and Tyrion thinking, 'Gods, I hope not.' :D

too many to name. i love this series.

Archived