Worst name in the series?

That Demon Monkey

I had the same epiphany while reading ADWD when I realized Jeyne was pronounced Jane and not Jean.

I had a similar problem with the name Jeyne, although I always pronounced it Jenny (well, after I would trip over it, not being sure how to pronounce it, I would settle on Jenny).

And, this is where I have to thank Reek for his rhymes, I'd have never known how to pronounce that damn name without Theon's Reek.

On that note, I never did like the name Reek, although the rhymes made it tolerable, LOL

He should have his own theme song. As Tormund said: "A one-armed smith slew Mag the Mighty? Har! That must o' been a fight to see." I hope HBO decides to show it.

Agreed. I've been a huge fan of his since he talked some sense into Jon. Yet still his name just bothers me. Lol

Why does everyone hate the name Aenys?

I'm wondering that, too. I actually like the name Aenys, even on Frey. Maybe the dislike comes from the fact, one asskissing Targ name, Aenys, led to Rhaegar and Aegon being used. It does seem that Aenys started a trend, but even Freys need names, LOL, as much as I hate them. Walder has probably managed to kiss all kinds of ass, or tried to, with the name game.

But yeah, I can see blaming the existance of Rhaegar and Aegon Frey on the existance of Aenys Frey, that might explain it.

Penny. For some reason it reminds me of the Big Bang Theory.

I agree. I don't like it because the name "Penny" seems out of place to me. Also slightly because it reminds me of big bang.

But in general, Daenerys has always been my least favorite name. I like her, just hate the name.

Anus. I can't read it without thinking of the scene in Gentlemen Broncos about naming fantasy characters.

I actually pronounce it with a long A sound, put it all together and for me it sounds like Aknees, LOL

Is that wrong? Then again, maybe it helps me deal with it, if I'm pronouncing it wrong, maybe I don't want to know.

Y'all Ghiscari name haters are cray-cray. Its their one redeeming quality, their awesome names. Hidahr, Reznak, Galazza, Oznak... Otherwise, they can all burn Dracarys style.

I really hated reading about Shitmouth, Yellow Dick, and Dick Crabb, known as Nimble Dick. Like seriously? Dick Crabb? Yellow Dick? God fucking dammit, names like this sound like diseases and just make me want to get disinfected.

Names like Yellow Dick make me cringe. Honestly, no self-appreciating person in any civilization real or imagined would ever name or call themselves after male or female private areas. Imagine the jokes you'd suffer behind your back about such a name.

I guess the first that came to mind was Walda and Walder. Not only are they sort of unflattering, but if you are cald Walda or Walder Frey then there is likely a chance that 12 other people share that name in the same proximity, and at least 4-5 other people outside of the Frey household. Not very original feeling :/

I also found names like Aegon Frey sort of bleh. They don't match very well with each other, I find.. Targ style first names with a very "Germanic" sounding last names name (Sorry, couldn't find the proper word to describe what I mean, but just basing the Frey name on the original real life origin). Also makes it seem that his parents were lazy in naming him, and just gave him something random.

In regards to Aenys, I always read it as "Eye-Ness" (Perhaps it is because I have a family friend whose name is Ina, pernounced Eye-Na, and her husband is named Yanis, so I guess I can't help but think of Aenys as something similar)

The name Penny does feel really out of place in the series.. If anything at least maybe "Westorosi" it up a little, like Penie, Pennee, Pehny or however.

Having no name altogether or be called something generic is sort of crummy. Like Hot Pie, or Husband, or Boy. Sort of reflects your worth or status in a sense, with a almost nonexistant identity, blending into the crowd.

The Westerosi do like their ys, half the first names of characters Martin comes up with are real-life names but he does something like change an e to a y or a w to a d. As for Aegon Frey, yeah the two don't match at all but why is Penny out of place in your mind?

jaime or bronn (two characters i really like!)

with all of these powerful lannister names (tywin, tytos, tyrion) how the hell do you get off naming your heir...jaime...seems very out of place

bronn is also kinda lame, tyrion is "the brains" and bronn is his bron...i think grrm originally intended for him to be a super super minor character then kinda wrote him up, or he would have had a better name

Archived