Worst name in the series?

That Demon Monkey

Come on, it takes 6 posts for someone to say Dickon Manwoody?

"Manwoody" was the screenname of an old-time poster who died back in 2003. A really great guy. GRRM actually named the character for the poster before he died. Can't remember if it was a contest or whatever. There's a number of other old-timers who have been dropped in as characters as well.

As for worst names...I really hate "Darkstar". It's like the pilot for a series on SyFy that never aired.

Hizdahr zo Loraq

Skahaz mo Kandaq

Reznak mo Reznak

Xaro Xhoan Daxos

Kraznyz mo Nakloz

...whoa! I sweat blood while typing those names. :P Did I spell them correctly? Better be.

Skardhaz Lo Garzahn

Hizlar Zo Gandakh

Kandaz Mo Qandaz

Raznys No Kazos

Sandaz Zo Kaklos

Hey I made up five more :P

Anyway,back to the topic.I don't really hate the Ghiscari names, it's just that they are so confusing.

My personal list :Penny, Barbrey,Liddle,Selmy (never sounded right to me) ,Tyrion (only for the reason that in my language tyri=Tee-reeh means cheese, not that I don't like cheese but it's kinda funny haha!), etc.

I dislike names that are obviously an attempt at being a "clever" re-wording of something descriptive about that particular character.

Hence my award for worse name goes to Damphair. It always breaks the fourth wall for me when his name pops up. I just sit there thinking "Did you really need to call a guy who worships the Drowned God "Damphair"? "

That's the nickname everyone around Aeron gives him and it makes sense why they would call him that. Not sure why that would be something dislikable.

Yollo!

I feel the same way. I think it's because it sounds like "yellow" and I have issues with yellow.

The Velaryons from Valyria has always seemed a bit awkward to me.

Velaryon is actually one of my favourite house names. Pretty much all the Valyrian names are great: Targaryen, Baratheon, Velaryon, Celtigar (with a hard "c" sound). Baratheon in particular makes me think of strength and righteous fury. Velaryon makes me think of grace and honour, "Velena Velaryon" is just a gorgeous sounding name.

Archived