Why did tywin's corpse smell so damn bad?

Snowisnobastard

This is a stretch but i think Varys did lead Tyrion under Tywins room on purpose. I think he knew or at least hoped that Tyrion would be angry with Tywin. Knowing this, he poisoned the bolts for the crossbow. He would know that would be the most likely weapon for Tyrion.

He might have also suspected that Tyrion would get cold feet or that Tywin would rush at Tyrion causing him to just wound Tywin.

The poison would assure Tywins death, and having already been accused of poisoning Joff, everyone would readily accept that Tyrion had more poison available.

Varys is a true mastermind so I wouldn't rule this out.

It's also very likely that Pycelle did the poisoning. He did urge The Mad King to open the gates for Tywin, maybe he thinks it's time for new leadership again. The Lannisters have not treated him very kind lately.

I don't think Tywin was being poisoned as well, I think Oberyn had a different end game for his motives, I've always felt that he was trying to get some form of confession about who ordered the killing of his sister and her children, Tyrions trial gave him that opportunity, hence the delayed killing of Gregor. He wanted two confessions out of him, that Gregor killed Elia, and that Tywin ordered it. There is no real evidence that Tywin was poisoned. The big three are that Oberyn likes to poisen people, Tywin has having problems taking a BM, and that his corpse smelt awful after death. Well, Oberyn may have poisoned him, but there is no evidence that he did, nothing physical, just speculation. Tywin was an older man and older people quite often have problems taking a shit, this is nothing new, and peoples decomposing bodies tend to smell awful, hence why we ebalm people if they are being buried and having a funeral. No real physical evidence that he was poisoned, so until GRRM confirms that Oberyn was poisoning him, I'm not convinced.

Maybe, but the text goes on and on and on and on about how very very bad he smelled, and how the sisters did everything they could and Pycelle did everything he could... I think we're meant to notice. Also, ok, not everyone gets stabbed while on the can, but I don't know if that makes a difference. We're all carrying around tomorrow's poop anyway, regardless of how long it's been since we last went. And this is Westeros. People there get stabbed in their $hit-filled guts all the time, and apparently Tywin's smell STILL makes the Westerosi blench. So it's something a bit out of the ordinary.

It could of course still be a coincidence, but it seems a bit unlikely, given how very much the smelliness is emphasized.

But we're not all carrying around the last few days worth if shit because we're constipated. And the silient sisters and pycell doing all they can is the same thing as a mortician doing all they can because their limited by their time. Lastly I want to point out that the same thing happend to William the Conqueror do you think Varys poisoned him too

During Tyrions trial Pycelle is asked about the jars he claims that Tyrion stole from him.

“Nightshade, sweetsleep, demon’s dance. This is blindeye. Widow’s blood, this one is called, for the color. A cruel potion. It shuts down a man’s bladder and bowels, until he drowns in his own poisons. This wolfsbane, here basilisk venom, and this one the tears of Lys. Yes. I know them all.”

There is only one potion where Pycelle describes what happens with it. That kinda fits with what was going on with Tywin.

But we're not all carrying around the last few days worth if shit because we're constipated. And the silient sisters and pycell doing all they can is the same thing as a mortician doing all they can because their limited by their time. Lastly I want to point out that the same thing happend to William the Conqueror do you think Varys poisoned him too

Hey, that's a good theory, Varys and William the Conqueror, or maybe it was just Pycelle who did the horrid work on William's body?? LOL

Just kidding, I'm not sure I buy the poisoning theories, but I can't rule them out either. KL itself was surrounded by all kinds of death in the Battle of Blackwater, there is just something a little funny about it, but then again, it could just by symbolism and an homage to William, also. We may never even know, about either dude, LOL

During Tyrions trial Pycelle is asked about the jars he claims that Tyrion stole from him.

"Nightshade, sweetsleep, demon's dance. This is blindeye. Widow's blood, this one is called, for the color. A cruel potion. It shuts down a man's bladder and bowels, until he drowns in his own poisons. This wolfsbane, here basilisk venom, and this one the tears of Lys. Yes. I know them all."

There is only one potion where Pycelle describes what happens with it. That kinda fits with what was going on with Tywin.

It does? Really? Where does anyone say that Tywins bladder and bowels were shut down? Where did Tywin show pain or discomfort during his bathroom scene (pre-crossbow bolt, obviously), where did a character remark that he was having bowel issues? Where did one of the maesters who examined his body note something unusual? I'd love to see a quote (especially since there isn't one).

because he was shot in the bowels. releasing the fluids and bacteria in them and that eats at the rest of the area breaking it down also it smells because its shit. this is an obvious question

One would think it is an obvious question, but the sheer number of people who take it as a sign of a poisoning plot surprisingly suggests otherwise.

One of the only times in the text that we meet a knight standing vigil for another dead knight is when Barristan is for Ser Hugh of the Vale. The text never mentions an overly putrid smell. It could just be an oversight, or Tywin's stink could just be some symbolism used by GRRM to portray what a rotten person Tywin was. I am of the mind however that something fishy was going on with Tywin's death, besides the classic quarrel in the gut.

Imo I don't think he was poisoned. This may sound a bit far fetched but, I firmly believe the smell is a metaphor for all of Tywins sins. I admired Tywin but he was a vile person, he was a despot. I think part of him died when his wife Joanna tragically died and he was slowly decaying away ever since :crying:

Archived