Why did tywin's corpse smell so damn bad?

Snowisnobastard

I'm pretty sure that in the text they make a point of it not being the average cadaver smell, gut wound aside...plus I assume death from a gut wound is pretty common seeing as there is almost constant battle in westeros. so why was everyone freakin out about it if it was just dead stink, I'm pretty sure the folks at kings landing are quite used to that smell by now. Had to be something else

Because not everyone who gets stabbed in the guts spent the past few days constipated and hot said stab wound takeing a shit. Also not just anyone is displayed for as long as he was. I'm all for trying to figure mysteries out in the text but you and people who believe Tywin was poisoned are trying to solve a mystery were already given the answer to and I honestly think your reading to deeply and seeing things that aren't there

Because not everyone who gets stabbed in the guts spent the past few days constipated and hot said stab wound takeing a shit. Also not just anyone is displayed for as long as he was. I'm all for trying to figure mysteries out in the text but you and people who believe Tywin was poisoned are trying to solve a mystery were already given the answer to and I honestly think your reading to deeply and seeing things that aren't there

Maybe, but the text goes on and on and on and on about how very very bad he smelled, and how the sisters did everything they could and Pycelle did everything he could... I think we're meant to notice. Also, ok, not everyone gets stabbed while on the can, but I don't know if that makes a difference. We're all carrying around tomorrow's poop anyway, regardless of how long it's been since we last went. And this is Westeros. People there get stabbed in their $hit-filled guts all the time, and apparently Tywin's smell STILL makes the Westerosi blench. So it's something a bit out of the ordinary.

It could of course still be a coincidence, but it seems a bit unlikely, given how very much the smelliness is emphasized.

I also believe Varys killed him. It makes sense, because Varys definetely needed Tywin dead eventually, and Tyrion killing him seemed to be unexpected for everyone involved

Varys did need Tywin dead. I think it's quite convenient that he and Tyrion passed directly by the passage to the Hand of the Kings quarters, and you know, theres a crossbow in that same passage.

the fact he was on the privy is a clue he was poisoned imo when we are ill and have a foreign body inside we either shit it out or be sick and tywin was feeling the effects and his body was in the process of trying to rid itself of it

grrm goes on about it so much to point out its not normal

the obvious suspect is oberyn but poison is a womans weapon so maybe it was a woman? qot, cersei even shae she was at the scene of the crime after all but having said that I think it was oberyn

I think GRRM is paying homage to the Brothers Karamazov. A saint-like elder dies in the book and everyone expects a miracle on his deathbed, but instead the stench is unbearable which leads people (who up until then nigh on worshipped him) to believe he was no saint after all. It also causes a major crisis of faith for one of the brothers (in this case probably Jaime), who leaves the monastery and his life takes a very different route from being a sworn brother. On reflection, later on, the more practical people think that here is no deeper significance to it other then that corpses stink.

lol!

Seriously, guys, do you know what happens to corpses? Westeros does not have embalming fluid, so the corpse begins decomposing right away. Theres nothing to stop that from happening. All they can really do is try to shove some perfumed stuff around the corpse and its made clear, this made the smell worse. Tywin was displayed in the sept. Just chillin' there on a table. When a corpse begins to rot, it smells like unholy hell. Why do people assume poison? Poison doesnt automatically make a corpse stink worse. Tywin also died of a shot to the bowels. Im guessing a maester or Silent Sister sewed up the wound, but its only the flesh that got patched up. So add that to already nasty stinkfest going on. Joff's corpse wasnt on display for as long if i recall correctly. Plus he actually did die of poison. Instead of a gaping wound that needed to be fixed up before display, Joff was more or less just placed there. If poison makes the corpse smell worse, dont you think Joff would have been just as smelly?

Yeesh guys, do you even funeral? :P

Exactly. A corpse smelling isn't a sign of poison. Neither is a guy having his **** stink when his bowels loosen when he's killed. The poison theory just has to be one of the worst because a.)there's no evidence for it besides some vague threat from Oberyn that Tywin might not live forever, and b.)it would be pointless, because the alleged poisoner is dead and the alleged victim was killed by other means.

the fact he was on the privy is a clue he was poisoned imo when we are ill and have a foreign body inside we either shit it out or be sick and tywin was feeling the effects and his body was in the process of trying to rid itself of it

grrm goes on about it so much to point out its not normal

the obvious suspect is oberyn but poison is a womans weapon so maybe it was a woman? qot, cersei even shae she was at the scene of the crime after all but having said that I think it was oberyn

No, he really doesn't go on about it. He only describes it so much as is necessary to convey that the guy is on the pot. Taking a dump is not a clue to being poisoned, else I've been poisoned my entire life. Tywin shows no pain, no signs of stress, nothing out of the ordinary for someone doing their business.

While I am a fan of the "Oberyn poisoned Tywin theory" it might just as well be a "joke" by Martin, you know the high and mighty Lord of Lannister ending in such a way. I mean that is what many will remember him by, the way he died and they way he stank in the sept.

He stinks because he has been laying there longer then normal corpses, I beleive this comes up in a conversation between Jaime and Cersei.

That also explains his huge smile, there is some scientific explanation for this, dont know and dont feel like looking it up.

Archived