Heresy 73

Black Crow

Now how did Bran connect with Jon when they were on opposite sides of the Wall? This should not happen. There must be an alternative reason that this encounter is an exception to the rule of the Wall being a magical barrier. And I don't think that it is Future Bran. I agree however with Snowfyre in that Ghost sees things for what they are and he already sees Bran as a greenseer and thus foreshadows Bran becoming part of the weirnet.

This is also what gets me thinking that there is that link between the Wall, Winterfell and the Stark of Winterfell triangle that is important in this fight for the Dawn. The conclusion I draw is that because Bran was at Winterfell he could bypass the Walls magical barrier.

Hmm, was this what Mance was looking for?

Oh! Brilliant! Completely missed the relevance of being separated by the wall!!

...how did Bran connect with Jon when they were on opposite sides of the Wall? This should not happen. There must be an alternative reason that this encounter is an exception to the rule of the Wall being a magical barrier. And I don't think that it is Future Bran. I agree however with Snowfyre in that Ghost sees things for what they are and he already sees Bran as a greenseer and thus foreshadows Bran becoming part of the weirnet.

Great observation. Though it might just as well support the idea of "Future Bran." After all - while the wolves are generally stymied by the barrier-power of the Wall, Bloodraven never has seemed to have that problem...

Wow step away from this thread for half a day and I miss an entire weeks worth of thinking and analysing. You guys are doing a hell of job. Love it!

Anyway I picked this quote from yesterday because I have always had a problem with it. I haven't reread ACoK in a while so bear with me...

During Jon's time on the other side of the Wall without Ghost he is completely separated from him. IIRC even GRRM made a point about this, hinting to the Wall being a barrier of a magical kind. In ADwD we see in Jon's wolf dream that Ghost can connect with Nymeria and Shaggydog but not Summer because he is somewhere beyond the Wall.

Now how did Bran connect with Jon when they were on opposite sides of the Wall? This should not happen. There must be an alternative reason that this encounter is an exception to the rule of the Wall being a magical barrier. And I don't think that it is Future Bran. I agree however with Snowfyre in that Ghost sees things for what they are and he already sees Bran as a greenseer and thus foreshadows Bran becoming part of the weirnet.

This is also what gets me thinking that there is that link between the Wall, Winterfell and the Stark of Winterfell triangle that is important in this fight for the Dawn. The conclusion I draw is that because Bran was at Winterfell he could bypass the Walls magical barrier.

Hmm, was this what Mance was looking for?

GRRM stated that the seperation of jon and Ghost during a Clash of kings would be a small but important bit of plot. To my knowledge, he never confirmed the wall caused the separation. The wall has been proposed as a potential explanation for the seperation before. It seems to be the best theory available at present.

When Jon had the wolf dream and couldn't sense summer, was Bran already in the CotF cave? I can't remember exactly.

Edit: Jon's wolf dream was at the very beggining of ADWD, so Bran probably can't have been in the caves at that point

Great observation. Though it might just as well support the idea of "Future Bran." After all - while the wolves are generally stymied by the barrier-power of the Wall, Bloodraven never has seemed to have that problem...

Woops forgot this reply!

As far as I have observed there are only 3 other exceptions to this barrier thing:

The Weirnet because those connected can see through the faces of the trees.

The Ravens. I have no idea why.

And the flames of R'hllor's fires. Mel and Stannis both see what happens beyond the wall...Mel numerous times.

GRRM stated that the seperation of jon and Ghost during a Clash of kings would be a small but important bit of plot. To my knowledge, he never confirmed the wall caused the separation. The wall has been proposed as a potential explanation for the seperation before.

When Jon had the wolf dream and couldn't sense summer, was Bran already in the CotF cave? I can't remember exactly.

IIFC no, he was already thru the Nightfort's weirwood gate and traveling to the CotF at the time. Ghost/Jon also clearly state that there had been 6 of them and only 4 remained.2 of them dead, 2 he could sense and the third was beyond the wall and lost to his sense.

Archived