Would the series really end as it began, with incest?

Tyrion1991

How so? Oh right, she's not a ginger...

- Jon was raised a Stark, with very strong moral aversions against incest. That was reinforced by Ygritte.

- Jon likes hands-on, self dependant women (Ygritte, Alys Karstark, Val). Dany is the opposite, with her servants and floppy ears and all that

- Dany is very anti-Stark, while Jon glorifies his "father" and "brother". He can respect Stannis seeing them as enemies, but he won't love him for it. Nor Dany.

- Jon is very much detemined by his duty, Dany by her rights.

Guys, Jon may as well be dead. We all know GRRM. Everyone seems to be clinging to this idea that Jon must be alive. I assume this is because people want the R + L = J theory to be true because it is a logical step towards a potential ending to the series.

GRRM has often said he doesn't read, or in any case does not bother with online theories. Assuming Jon is alive because GRRM will put in the R+L=J theory is just ignorant. I hope it is the truth, but we all better just assume that Jon is dead to prevent disappointment. At least that's what I'm doing.

People have built theories like a house on cards on the belief that Jon was just wounded, or dead in a way that he could be resurrected as himself.

If he even stays dead till the end of TWOW, it will be really interesting. GRRM does say he likes to play with the expectations of the reader. I wonder how people construct very elaborate theories on Jon's future. But what you said is true.

To be honest, most Jon fans don't want to see a Jon-Dany wedding because he has a claim to the throne without needing her. But most Dany fans do want to see this 'abomination' because she needs to marry him to have a claim to the throne - else Jon is the rightful heir and not Dany.

I think it's the other way around. With Robert's Rebellion the line of succession of Aegon the Conqueror ended. If Dany reconquers Westeros, Jon will have no claim. It'll be Dany's descended (of she has any) that will have a claim to the throne.

She doesn't need Jon if she wants the IT.

I think it's the other way around. With Robert's Rebellion the line of succession of Aegon the Conqueror ended. If Dany reconquers Westeros, Jon will have no claim. It'll be Dany's descended (of she has any) that will have a claim to the throne.

She doesn't need Jon if she wants the IT.

Dany's entire conquest is built on her belief that she is the sole living Targ, and hence rightful heir to the Iron Throne that Robert usurped.

Dany's entire conquest is built on her belief that she is the sole living Targ, and hence rightful heir to the Iron Throne that Robert usurped.

That's the impetus for her wanting to get the IT, however, to get the IT she can't just go to KL and sit herself in the IT because she is the last Targ. If she wants it she's going to have to reconquers Westeros all over again like Argon the Conqueror. Thus, making her the first of her line.

- Jon was raised a Stark, with very strong moral aversions against incest. That was reinforced by Ygritte.

- Jon likes hands-on, self dependant women (Ygritte, Alys Karstark, Val). Dany is the opposite, with her servants and floppy ears and all that

- Dany is very anti-Stark, while Jon glorifies his "father" and "brother". He can respect Stannis seeing them as enemies, but he won't love him for it. Nor Dany.

-True. Incest won't help either of them love eachother.

-Good point. I won't say he would instantly dislike Dany because of this, but he definitely not like her for it. I'm not sure if Alys Karstark is a good example, though. He liked her because he reminded him of his sister, not because he wanted to bang her. And if he did... It sure doesn't help your incest point ;)

-Dany is only anti-Stark because that's all she knows. I ADWD she was anti-slaver but she still ended up marrying one. When she'll reach Westeros she'll understand things aren't as black and white as she was lead to believe (with help from Barry).

-ADWD proved that Dany was determined by duty too. She practically gave everything away (including her hopes for Westeros) in attempt to keep her people safe. While her so called rights are definitely a motivation, she still puts her duty in the first place.

That's the impetus for her wanting to get the IT, however, to get the IT she can't just go to KL and sit herself in the IT because she is the last Targ. If she wants it she's going to have to reconquers Westeros all over again like Argon the Conqueror. Thus, making her the first of her line.

And the last, unless MMD lied.

And the last, unless MMD lied.

I dono, I think MMD might have been messing with Dany's head, and it obviously worked because Dany believed her. A self-fulfilling prophesy.

She did have the miscarriage at the end of ADWD so she might be able to bear a child again.

Well said. I doubt they will ever even meet, let alone end up together.

• 2 months later...

I don't think Jon would continue the Targaryen practice of incest. I think he is more likely to abolish the practice than continue it.

Exactly. Jon is the only Targaryen to worship the Old Gods, and they has incest as one of the three taboos, along with kinslaying and violation of guest rights. And I know that Jon, if someone suggest Jon marries Daenerys, he would say, "The gods gives to these who obey, and take away from them who violates the taboos."

Exactly. Jon is the only Targaryen to worship the Old Gods, and they has incest as one of the three taboos, along with kinslaying and violation of guest rights. And I know that Jon, if someone suggest Jon marries Daenerys, he would say, "The gods gives to these who obey, and take away from them who violates the taboos."

Eh, Blodraven worships the Old Gods (he's practically one of them) and he was in a relationship with his sister Shiera Seastar.

Archived