how did bloodraven go from hand of the king to weirnet?

obie07

I came across a bit of info on the wiki for Aemon and states Rhaegar used to send ravens to his 'ancient great great uncle'. Since we know when Rhaegar was born and when he died we can roughly figure out a timeline based on possible ages of contact. If Rhaegar was 10 we are looking at around 269AL, and if he was 18 (around the time he wanted to become a warrior) we are looking at about 277AL. This tells us that he has only been in the tree for a little over 20 years. This is mainly something I had not seen posted before and this seems like the most relevant/current thread to share in.

If it's currently 300AL and he was potentially there until 277AL. Otherwise it would be close to 30 if it were 269AL. I'm going to try and look into this a bit more over the weekend, but with my endless obsession of BR and his story I had to share. haha right now I'm basing this lightly on the info on the wiki.

On the Wall, Brynden Rivers becomes Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. But eventually, he absconds to the lands beyond the Wall and joins the Children of the Forest, who hail him as the last of the greenseers. There, merging with a great weirwood...

Alright, if this is accurate, we should really look at the wording here: "he absconds", what does that tell us?

To abscond is defined as (by google dictionary or whatever): "to leave hurriedly and secretly, typically to avoid detection of or arrest for an unlawful action such as theft."

I don't get the impression that Bloodraven is the most honorable man, so "breaking" his Night's Watch vows might not be an issue, but why did he? And why did he "leave hurriedly and secretly"? (Though he left the NW, he might not have necessarily "broke" his vows, as we see Jon "breaking" his vows when he joins the Wildlings and is with Ygritte, but he does it to "guard the realms of men".)

So some possible options:

1. He fled the Night's Watch after they grew suspicious of his methods and sorcery and were planning some sort of coup.
  2. He fled the NW after having received visions form the CotF telling him he is needed in to "guard the realms of men" against the Others.
  3. He fled after having received visions from the CotF telling him he can get revenge as he might be bitter about being sent to the Wall.

Now also, we should probably have a timeline for BR's time after being sent to the Wall.

• He was sent to the Wall in 233.
  • LC Qorgyle was LC when Mance visited Jon Snow as a boy and deserted too under Qorgyle - so he was LC at least at about 288.
  • Mormont joined the NW within the next 6 years after RR (282-283) and rose rapidly to LC - so around 290.

Given this, we know LC BR must have left before Jon Snow was a boy at Wintefell.

So my very cracked pot theory is that BR left after RR when Robert tried to get Dark Sister for his new dynasty when Joffrey was born (286). Robert figured BR would soon die (being 111) and had no need for the sword. However, BR refused and ran off with it to the cave of the CotF.

Alright, if this is accurate, we should really look at the wording here: "he absconds", what does that tell us?

To abscond is defined as (by google dictionary or whatever): "to leave hurriedly and secretly, typically to avoid detection of or arrest for an unlawful action such as theft."

I don't get the impression that Bloodraven is the most honorable man, so "breaking" his Night's Watch vows might not be an issue, but why did he? And why did he "leave hurriedly and secretly"? (Though he left the NW, he might not have necessarily "broke" his vows, as we see Jon "breaking" his vows when he joins the Wildlings and is with Ygritte, but he does it to "guard the realms of men".)

So some possible options:

1. He fled the Night's Watch after they grew suspicious of his methods and sorcery and were planning some sort of coup.
  2. He fled the NW after having received visions form the CotF telling him he is needed in to "guard the realms of men" against the Others.
  3. He fled after having received visions from the CotF telling him he can get revenge as he might be bitter about being sent to the Wall.

Now also, we should probably have a timeline for BR's time after being sent to the Wall.

• He was sent to the Wall in 233.
  • LC Qorgyle was LC when Mance visited Jon Snow as a boy and deserted too under Qorgyle - so he was LC at least at about 288.
  • Mormont joined the NW within the next 6 years after RR (282-283) and rose rapidly to LC - so around 290.

Given this, we know LC BR must have left before Jon Snow was a boy at Wintefell.

So my very cracked pot theory is that BR left after RR when Robert tried to get Dark Sister for his new dynasty when Joffrey was born (286). Robert figured BR would soon die (being 111) and had no need for the sword. However, BR refused and ran off with it to the cave of the CotF.

I dont think so. BR is more likely LC before Qorgyle, maybe 1-5 LC before him.

A 111 year old Bloodraven still has to escape from the Wall? That's the idea being presented?

I think I've seen it all, now... ;)

PS: Sleeping with someone isn't breaking vows, it's children resulting from it. Half the Watch would be guilty of breaking vows if otherwise, and no one holds Mole's Town against them.

I think it seems Bloodraven was called by the Children of the Forest who saw in him "the last of the greenseer". LC Bloodraven was probably hit by the same dreams as Bran and he was approached by the Children/Coldhands (? that's still a possibility) and he was warned about the danger represented by the Others.

It is said further in the official WOIAF companion guide that "[he] awaits the birth of Bran Stark, another greenseer, who will be needed in a time when the fate of the world and all wo live in it are in danger".

So it was certainly all in preparation for what is coming, Bloodraven needed to take care of the weirwood network and it is made clear that he was awaiting the birth of Bran who is the person who can obviously "save the day"

Archived