A Notable Casting

Westeros

1. LS cheapens the death factor in the show.

2. Beric doesn't make his promise on his honor as a knight to re-unite Arya with her mother. Harwin doesn't exist to point out that Beric made this promise and it appears that Thoros has to say some words that Beric cannot hear instead of giving him "the kiss"

If the show follows the mistake of the books and has LS, then yes, MF should play her.

Your last line shows that this is simply your wishful thinking. There is no evidence that the showrunners think it's a mistake as you do, so they have no reason to remove LS. The other stuff you mentioned is irrelevant, nobody will care about the exact details of how LS comes to be.

The argument that it 'cheapens' her death doesn't hold water anyway, IMO. If anything cheapens death, it was Beric getting resurrected so many times and still being functional and normal, apart from losing some memories. And they did feature that on the show. Catelyn gets "resurrected" in a decaying body, unable to speak, crazy and hell-bent on vengeance, turned into a half-monster. Now, that hardly cheapens her death - on the contrary, it makes it all even creepier, and gives us a dark version of Cat's personality, obsessed with revenge. The Brotherhood going for revenge all on their own would not have the same weight. And it's a great opportunity to give a good actress Fairley more material, which is something they didn't do enough in season 3.

It doesn't take much, I figured it out from reading the first book after marathoning the first two seasons twice in a row.

It doesn't take much if you read the books. I got it from the first book alone, i.e. Ned chapters. But we are talking about the Unsullied. The show did not feature any flashbacks of Lyanna or Rhaegar or Ned thinking about his promise to his sister.

We'll have to see how it turns out, but Lady Stoneheart doesn't cheapen death, that's for sure. On the contrary, she illustrates all the more vividly the chasm between life and death. Every time I read her passages at the end of ASoS or in AFfC, I can't help but be overcome with deep sadness. LS may very well be the most tragic character in the books so far -- to see such a strong and proud woman, one of my favourite characters, reduced to that... thing likely to betray the values and ideas she cherished the most in life is devastating. The scene in Feast where she's pondering over the iron crown in her hands is among the saddest moments of the series.

Archived