[BOOK SPOILERS] Predictions for TV series: Season by Season

Thousand Islands

They don't have to be on a boat for Aemon to die. All that stuff with Aemon, and Sam and Gilly getting it on can happen in Braavos. Then in the final episode they get a ship ride with Jaqen.

It would weaken it a great deal if they did that. Sam would be straight up breaking his vows. In the books he slept with Gilly because he was in Summer Islander territory - their boat, their ways. So he made a little mental exception.

According to the agency, Tom Wlaschiha is in the main cast. If this is indeed true, then Jaqen must be taking the role of the Kindly Man, right? I can't see him be in the main cast if he's only going to pop up here and there, pushing Greyjoys from bridges and that kind of stuff. Then, the agency could also be wrong, I suppose. But Jaqen becoming Arya's new mentor is something this show could do, so sounds reasonable.

Him being in the main cast most definitely guarantees that he will replace the Kindly Man. Just hope he does his book cannon stuff too such as possibly meeting up with Euron, killing Balon, going to Oldtown, etc

It would weaken it a great deal if they did that. Sam would be straight up breaking his vows. In the books he slept with Gilly because he was in Summer Islander territory - their boat, their ways. So he made a little mental exception.

Sam has already found a loophole to break his vows as he stared in episode 9

I dunno how bringing him back will work because everything he does in the story after he leaves Arya is Jaqen with a different face. Would he just change back to the old face? It would make more sense if Arya arrives at the House of Black and White and sees Jaqen but finds out it's a different person and the Jaqen we know just borrowed his face for whatever reason.

As we've found out, D&D don't mind making changes even if it doesn't make much sense. The Yara attack on the Dreadfort comes to mind. I'm sure they'll find a good enough explanation to give Jaqen his face back. Arya: "who are you, I don't like your face" Jaqen: "le sigh, ok lovely girl a man will change his face back"

Whatever explanation they come with, I really don't care. As long as it gives us more Jaqen scenes

No, he breaks his vows with Gilly due to being upset over Aemon's death and then later the Summer Islanders tell him how ridiculous the Night's Watches views on sex are. We almost certainly aren't getting the Cinammon Wind. I think though that the Courtesans of Braavos will play a role in TWOW and that they'll be bought forwards into S5, with Bellegere Otherys being cast. Sam and co. will stay in the courtesan's house (which also acts as hotel okay), Dareon will sleep with one of the courtesans, Arya will train there, and Bellegere will be the one to tell Sam how ridiculous his vow of celibacy is.

No, he breaks his vows with Gilly due to being upset over Aemon's death and then later the Summer Islanders tell him how ridiculous the Night's Watches views on sex are. We almost certainly aren't getting the Cinammon Wind. I think though that the Courtesans of Braavos will play a role in TWOW and that they'll be bought forwards into S5, with Bellegere Otherys being cast. Sam and co. will stay in the courtesan's house (which also acts as hotel okay), Dareon will sleep with one of the courtesans, Arya will train there, and Bellegere will be the one to tell Sam how ridiculous his vow of celibacy is.

Why almost certainly? The show has a boat. They use it for many different scenes with different characters. If they already have a boat, why not use it?

If Aemon dies in Braavos, why would he not be buried or burned there instead of his corpse being loaded onto a ship? And since I rather suspect his corpse will end up used in some sort of blood magic, this is an important detail.

Aemon's corpse needs to end up with either Marwyn. Or Euron, or maybe the Hightowers. It makes no sense if he dies anywhere except at sea.

Also, I am quite sure Arya's training will progress past Daeron to her first contract kill in season 5. Maybe further. If so, Sam will be long gone from Braavos by the last episode because he leave right after Daeron is killed.

It's not even a given that they're including Dareon at this point.

He is not the same character he was in the books, but Arya's training will be shown, and the rules and ways of the FM will be communicated. Killing a Night's Watch deserter is quite key to Arya's arc.

He is not the same character he was in the books, but Arya's training will be shown, and the rules and ways of the FM will be communicated. Killing a Night's Watch deserter is quite key to Arya's arc.

They can accomplish this any number of ways that don't include Dareon. He could be in, he might not be. It's better not to say things like "have to" since many options exist to get you to the same goal.

Why almost certainly? The show has a boat. They use it for many different scenes with different characters. If they already have a boat, why not use it?

If Aemon dies in Braavos, why would he not be buried or burned there instead of his corpse being loaded onto a ship? And since I rather suspect his corpse will end up used in some sort of blood magic, this is an important detail.

Aemon's corpse needs to end up with either Marwyn. Or Euron, or maybe the Hightowers. It makes no sense if he dies anywhere except at sea.

We don't have a framework for how magic works in ASOIAF, especially not in the show. The show really isn't limited by things like "oh this blood needs to go into that fire for the magic to work" because it is magic and we don't know how it works.

That's incredibly wild speculation. But let's say it's true - wood is scarce on Braavos and you need a lot of it to make a funeral pyre. Might be Sam can't get his hands on enough so he preserves Aemon's corpse until he can get to Oldtown.

The reason I don't see the Cinnamon Wind being in is because it involves introducing minor characters that there is no time for. They're not going to cast Kojja Mo for example, for a single scene where she gives Sam a sex talk.

They can accomplish this any number of ways that don't include Dareon. He could be in, he might not be. It's better not to say things like "have to" since many options exist to get you to the same goal.

I think the more important reason for Dareon being included is for Sam's development. This is the first time he is brave when his life doesn't depend on it. He could have just walked out of that Inn and been on his way but he took a stand and started a bar brawl. And of course Dareon is also relevant to Arya's development as a FM. So while he doesn't have loads of plot relevance I think he'll be in. I really hope Edd doesn't take his place.

True enough.

But show logic is generally about compressing and communicating several things at once that are possibly communicated separately in the books, as well as adding some action to storylines that are too slow or discursive for TV (Bran).

In this case, the scene as written in the books, does not actually require any changes to fit with show set budgets, casting and time constraints. It is all action, communicates lots of things at once, they already have the set they need, and if Aemon died in Braavos instead of on the boat it would have absolutely no show benefit.

Daeron in the show will be some random singer (they love including indie musicians) who is in at most 2 episodes - arrive in Braavos, get sent to find a doctor and supplies, spends money on whores instead, is recognized by Arya, gets killed. Arya helps Sam find a boat. The end.

Is it though? Arya's kill of Rorge was fairly similar - she condemned somebody to die that hadn't caused her harm; she killed him easily; and felt nothing about it. Killing the deserter led to her blindness and may have changed how the House of the Undying felt about her, and blindness leads to cat warging, but I'm not betting that any of that will play out in the show as it did in the book.

That's incredibly wild speculation. But let's say it's true - wood is scarce on Braavos and you need a lot of it to make a funeral pyre. Might be Sam can't get his hands on enough so he preserves Aemon's corpse until he can get to Oldtown.

The reason I don't see the Cinnamon Wind being in is because it involves introducing minor characters that there is no time for. They're not going to cast Kojja Mo for example, for a single scene where she gives Sam a sex talk.

They actually do it all the time. There were a bunch of Black Brothers in the battle at the Wall this season we had never seen before.

There were IB characters at Moat Cailin who were introduced for one episode...

Introducing the Summer Islanders is part of preparing the stage for Alleras, maybe also Moqorro if he makes the cut.

I think the more important reason for Dareon being included is for Sam's development. This is the first time he is brave when his life doesn't depend on it. He could have just walked out of that Inn and been on his way but he took a stand and started a bar brawl. And of course Dareon is also relevant to Arya's development as a FM. So while he doesn't have loads of plot relevance I think he'll be in. I really hope Edd doesn't take his place.

They don't need Koija Mo, they have Salladar! I'd like him to be the one taking Sam's group south.

I don't think Sam needs to start bar brawls to show his newfound manliness. Daeron spending the money keeps Sam and Gilly stuck in Bravos, which is probably where they'll be for most of Season 5. So sure, Daeron could make the cut. But Sam's story is one that may change massively in the adaptation.

There's no indication the wood is scarce on the show version of Braavos. That is a change that can almost instantly be made. Hell, I've read the books and never realized wood was scarce in Braavos. Doubt it matters and doubt D&D care. A better argument is needed than "wood is scarce in the book version of Braavos"

They don't need Koija Mo, they have Salladar! I'd like him to be the one taking Sam's group south.

I don't think Sam needs to start bar brawls to show his newfound manliness. Daeron spending the money keeps Sam and Gilly stuck in Bravos, which is probably where they'll be for most of Season 5. So sure, Daeron could make the cut. But Sam's story is one that may change massively in the adaptation.

I don't think Sam will be in Braavos for all that long actually. There is not enough for him to do there.

He will be at the Wall still for the first 3 or 4 episodes.

1. Stannis settles in at the Wall, discussions on what to do with the captives. LC election is called. "Mance" possibly burned, unless they skip that.

2. Sam behind the scenes, Jon becomes LC.

3. Jon fears for Aemon, sends Sam to become Maester.

4. Sam not in episode.

5. Sam arrives in Braavos. Aemon is sick. Daeron sent for food and supplies, but goes to brothel instead.

6. Sam goes looking for Daeron. Meets Arya. Arya shows Sam where Daeron is, maybe finds him a boat. Kills Daeron.

7. No Sam.

8. Aemon dies. Funeral. Sam gets laid.

Possibly one or two more episodes - one more at the Wall and one more in Braavos, but that is maximum.

With the larger number of overall storylines to follow in S5, I'm inclined to believe that they'll have the characters in less episodes but for longer periods of time in the episode (having more happen to them in that given episode).

By this point, it's pretty much established that the audience aren't fans of including too many characters in every episode in order to simply "check in" on them as it ruins the overall flow. I think the showrunners are on the same page as well as we've seen them more confident in simply putting storylines aside for episodes at a time in order to focus on the stories they want to tell.

I could definitely see Sam not appearing in that many episodes but getting more of a spotlight in the episodes that he does show up in.

Archived