Why did Stannis marry Selyse?

Balaurderaa

I previously thought it was Robert who set up the marriage, but Stan doesnt seem to blame him for this like he does w/ nearly everything bob did/arranged for him. I also cant see Stan suggesting/volunteering for the marriage so :dunno:

Knowing that his love for Davos would never be able to flourish he decided to crush whatever sexual and romantic attraction he was capable of.

Ah, cue the neverending UST between them :P

I don't know if it factored into Robert's thinking but if Stannis had married a Lord Paramount's Daughter it might have made him too powerful and a future threat to his hold on the throne (or Stannis' children against Robert's children.) Robert had to have been aware that it was the web of marriages between Baratheon, Stark, Tully, and Arryn that made the victory of his rebellion possible.

True.

Suppose Stannis had been betrothed to Margaery until she had come of age. At the moment they two had conceived a child Robert´s heir might start suffering some accidents.

And that´s only one of the possible scenarios.

Stannis is Stannis. He's not exactly loved by other Lords so that narrows down his choices. He is the Lord of Dragonstone, which is not exactly prime real estate and as the traditional home of the heir to Westeros it is not clear how long he would own it for. Selyse Florent, while not pretty, is a good political marriage probably offering a decent dowery.

I would assume that it was either Robert or Jon Arryn who decided that it should've been a good idea for Stannis to marry a Florent, besides there don't seem to have been any woman from a Great House available at the time so they settled for the second rank. And joining with the Florents could also be a "Fuck you!" and a "Don't try anything clever..." to the Tyrells from the new Baratheon dynasty.

King's brother or not, it's because no other maid/maiden wanted him.

I don't think he dislikes women, being around them just makes him uncomfortable. (Well, except for Mel.)

And lemon water. And Jon according to Mel :D

Since half the population of Westros is women, he really shoulda gotten used to them by now. Plus, If it was said Stannis is uncomfortable being around the Dornish, then we could assume he's not fond of them. Why did Renly offer him that peach???

I previously thought it was Robert who set up the marriage, but Stan doesnt seem to blame him for this like he does w/ nearly everything bob did/arranged for him. I also cant see Stan suggesting/volunteering for the marriage so :dunno:

Ah, cue the neverending UST between them :P

I would guess because whatever thoughts he has about Selsye, they are his alone. It would be pretty insulting to her if he bitched about having to marry her. He's above that (well, because he is honorable rather than caring about Selyse's feelings over much).

1 King's brother or not, it's because no other maid/maiden wanted him.

Since half the population of Westros is women, he really shoulda gotten used to them by now. 2 Plus, If it was said Stannis is uncomfortable being around the Dornish, then we could assume he's not fond of them. Why did Renly offer him that peach???

1. Quote please or I am going to assume this is just a Stannis hater flame.

2. Not really. Being uncomfortable around people doesn't mean you dislike them.

True.

Suppose Stannis had been betrothed to Margaery until she had come of age. At the moment they two had conceived a child Robert´s heir might start suffering some accidents.

And that´s only one of the possible scenarios.

Good thing he wasn't betrothed to her, else the Misadventures of the Mannis would never have come to be.

King's brother or not, it's because no other maid/maiden wanted him.

That's not how the marital system worked in Westeros. "Wanted" was not part of equation, it seems that 3/4 of nobles (men and women alike) married the Houses, not the people.

Honestly, I don't know what they found in House Florent, any Baratheon would be a huge success for any other House. Looks like some strategical miscalculation, or Robert's sense of humor, or pre-arrangement.

I'm pretty sure it's Robert's brainchild, mainly to shore up the Baratheons' connections in the Reach in case the Tyrells get any bright ideas. The Florents are one of the more powerful houses who still nurse a grudge that the Tyrells got the paramount spot when Aegon knocked out the Gardeners. As for why it was Selyse specifically, that's probably just Robert tweaking his brother.

Since half the population of Westros is women, he really shoulda gotten used to them by now. Plus, If it was said Stannis is uncomfortable being around the Dornish, then we could assume he's not fond of them. Why did Renly offer him that peach???

Some people are just Awkward Penguins socially awkward :P And I'm pretty sure a person can be uncomfortable around someone and not dislike them (like if someone is uncomfortable when around babies, afraid to hold them bc he might do it wrong, that doesnt automatically mean he's not fond of/dislikes babies).

1. Quote please or I am going to assume this is just a Stannis hater flame.

2. Not really. Being uncomfortable around people doesn't mean you dislike them.

1. That was a joke...ya know like many others in this tread. Relax, I'm no Stannis hater. Would YOU want to be married to him if you were a woman? I'd throw myself off a tower first.

2. Then what would you call it? I said "not fond of." Give a more accurate term & I'll use, but "uncomfortable around" is a white wash.

Some people are just Awkward Penguins socially awkward :P And I'm pretty sure a person can be uncomfortable around someone and not dislike them (like if someone is uncomfortable when around babies, afraid to hold them bc he might do it wrong, that doesnt automatically mean he's not fond of/dislikes babies).

We will have to disagree then because IMO the too-many-to-count references in the series to Stannis' negative disposition around & toward women shows clearly that he isn't fond of them.

I'm no Stannis hater. Would YOU want to be married to him if you were a woman? I'd throw myself off a tower first.

Where's the love? By the old gods and the new, I'd marry Stannis in a heartbeat.

Archived