IF Stannis Baratheon had Sons

Lord Stunny

And with some lucky one or more of them would be charismatic enough to perhaps off-set Renly's advantage and thus give Stannis the Stormlands from the start. But the problem with the Tyrells would still continue so I'm afraid that in the long run it wouldn't have changed much.

And with some lucky one or more of them would be charismatic enough to perhaps off-set Renly's advantage and thus give Stannis the Stormlands from the start. But the problem with the Tyrells would still continue so I'm afraid that in the long run it wouldn't have changed much.

Well, you could always marry Margaery to the heir.

Edit: And give Mace Tyrell the title hand of the king. Davos is more of a master of ships anyway.

Well, you could always marry Margaery to the heir.

Edit: And give Mace Tyrell the title hand of the king. Davos is more of a master of ships anyway.

It could be but I don't think that I would've happened. As I understand it Stannis hates Mace and the Tyrells are aware of it. Thus I don't think that the two of them would be uniting their Houses any time soon. Besides the Tyrell are way to ambitious to tie themselves with a guy like Stannis as they'd have a hard time playing him for influence at court.

I know everyone points to the Reach because they have the biggest armies but what have they really done to prove their worth? A fluke victory at Ashaford by Tarly? They couldn't even totally put Storms End under siege as our good friend Lord Davos Seaworth got around them. When Ned showed up Mace Tyrell bent the knee immediately.

The Reach are not the most powerful region. Most men yes, best warriors/leaders? No. That's the Storm Lords and Wolves

He probably would have had to execute the first one when he wouldn't eat his beets, to show the other two he meant business.

Edit: I'm also fairly sure this thread is in the wrong place, as it has nothing to do with the upcoming World of Ice and Fire book. You'll get more views in the general forum anyhow.

It could be but I don't think that I would've happened. As I understand it Stannis hates Mace and the Tyrells are aware of it. Thus I don't think that the two of them would be uniting their Houses any time soon. Besides the Tyrell are way to ambitious to tie themselves with a guy like Stannis as they'd have a hard time playing him for influence at court.

Stannis pretty much hates all his bannermen, at least those lickspittles that came over after Renly kicked the bucket. He still knows he must make use of them. He'd grind his teeth at the notion of a Tyrell marriage, but he'd be practical and utilitarian about it.

Stannis pretty much hates all his bannermen, at least those lickspittles that came over after Renly kicked the bucket. He still knows he must make use of them. He'd grind his teeth at the notion of a Tyrell marriage, but he'd be practical and utilitarian about it.

But will the Tyrells see things the same way? They want power if they get themselves involved so I'm not sure what they would want to gather from a marriage with Stannis.

If the Tyrells were promised a marriage pact with Margaery and Stannis's eldest son and heir in a situation where it looked like Stannis might actually sit the Iron Throne, I think Mace would have been tempted. But I think the Lannisters would still win the Tyrell alliance, since they would send Littlefinger as their envoy, who would charm them with promises. Stannis is not what you'd call a good haggler, he could have very well sent Davos to play cupid to his son and the Tyrells... :D

It would depend when it was offered. There is a great quote in either Clash or Storm about how the men serving Joffrey or Robb might think they served their real king, but the Tyrells knew they were backing a usurper making them more treasonous than any other house. He might forgive the Tyrells if after Renly's death they chose to back him, but to let them marry into royalty and his family? Never.

I dont feel that his bannermen would have fled to Renly's side as quickly. And also he would be able to marry political rivals to his son securing allies. This in effect may also make him more effecient at waging war.

Well he was going to marry Shireen to Robert Arryn and Mel said AAR doesnt need any allies and he stopped so the same thing would have happened.

But if he had sons it would be important at this point of the story, with many female claimants popping up and Dany on her way to westeros.

He could let the oldest of them marry Margaery after Renly's assassination. That would have solved a lot of things.

Now I think about it, he probobly wouldn't want to marry his heir to the daughter of a betrayer. And Mace would probobly still rather suport Joffrey.

He could let the oldest of them marry Margaery after Renly's assassination. That would have solved a lot of things.

Now I think about it, he probobly wouldn't want to marry his heir to the daughter of a betrayer. And Mace would probobly still rather suport Joffrey.

Yeah, Loras believes Stannis is complicit in the death of Renly (which, to be fair, he is), Stannis's son would be half Florent (which could mean trying to claim High Garden for himself or the Florents and wiping out the male line of the Tyrells, and unlike with Stannis himself it may not be unfounded paranoia), and Joffery would be older than Stannison.

Archived