The Ultimate spoiler - Jon's last aDwD chapter

the old dude

STOP READING IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED aDwD YET.

So I would like to share the story about how I ruined Jon's chapters for myself. In the late 90's I was in college. My roommate at the time had an extensive collection of sci-fi and fantasy books. I read many of them including aGoT. At this time in my life i liked to "roll my own smokes" if you catch my drift. So when I read these books of his my mind was not the clearest and after time I completely forgot about aGoT. :dunce:

A few years ago I started to wonder about the title of one of my old roommates books I had really enjoyed and wanted to read again. On a video game forum I described what I could remember and asked for ideas as to what book it was. Two suggestions rolled in. The first were the Elric books by Moorcock and the second was ASOIF. I checked out the wiki for both and as it turned out, Elric was the right answer. Here is the kicker. When I checked the Asoif page the first line I read was something like "... Lord Commander Jon Snow's assassination at the hands of his sworn brothers..." So there I was with still no recollection of reading aGoT, but I knew someone named Jon would be the assassinated LC of something.

Having my answer I went to the store and bought an Elric book. While I was at a friends house I told him about the book I was reading and it reminded him of a TV show he had on DVR. Lets watch I say. Episode one of Game of Thrones starts to play and before long I start saying things like "Oh I hate that guy." and "Too bad he dies". I still didn't remember reading this book but I sort of knew what was going to happen. So i went to the library and checked out aGoT. Finally, when LC Mormont was introduced it all came together: the book I had forgotten, the wiki page, the TV show - all the same story!

In the end, I read all five books wondering when and how Jon becomes the LC of the NW, and what he does as LC to warrant his assassination. I enjoyed the ride, but I missed out on the WOW factor. As it stands now, i finally have no Idea what is in store for Jon and the suspense is killing me. :laugh:

I had someone ruin it for me on another forum. We were discussing the show and someone came in and spoiled the walk of shame, Jon's 'death', Dany's dragon riding, and a few others while I was just starting ADWD. Didn't actually bother me though, because my favorite parts of ADWD were the back story and Slynt's beheading.

Yeah... this reminds me that whenever Winds of Winter is released, somehow I will have to go offline. Maybe some sort of spiritual seclusion.

That's what I did when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out.

Then again, TWOW is likely going to be longer and it will take me a longer time to read. I was able to digest DH in a weekend, but I don't think TWOW can be read so fast.

That's what I did when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out.

Then again, TWOW is likely going to be longer and it will take me a longer time to read. I was able to digest DH in a weekend, but I don't think TWOW can be read so fast.

Surely not, you have to take your time with GRRM - too much subtext and hidden information.

Well, I guess I would make a fast reading to avoid the risk of getting spoiled during casual web surfing. Then a slower second reread and then (or in the meantime) get back to this forum to find out everything I've missed.

Unless, of course, the show surpasses the books before TWOW is published.

Dude, I've been 'rolling my own smokes' for over 40 years, and it hasn't affected my memory like it seems to have done yours. I remember details from books I read in high school (I graduated in '71.)

Though, to be fair I remember the plots well but not things like the names of characters. Like, there was this one by Shakespeare about two Italian teenagers who were totally stoked for one another but their parents were feuding. Do you remember that one? It was like a medieval "West Side Story" or something.

Dude, I've been 'rolling my own smokes' for over 40 years, and it hasn't affected my memory like it seems to have done yours. I remember details from books I read in high school (I graduated in '71.)

Though, to be fair I remember the plots well but not things like the names of characters. Like, there was this one by Shakespeare about two Italian teenagers who were totally stoked for one another but their parents were feuding. Do you remember that one? It was like a medieval "West Side Story" or something.

I dont' know what made me laugh harder...your Shakespeare comment or your Polar Bear thing I never paid attention to before. God I love this forum sometimes.

On topic (sort of): I'm desperately trying to polish up a few novels of my own for publication, and since I'm always thinking about plots and how an author constructs his material, I tend to read slower than most people and notice all sorts of things I probably shouldn't, thus ruining some of the plot twists for myself. R+L=J and a few others come to mind.

Luckily for me, when people talk about stuff I'm not currently reading/watching, I don't keep track of names so they never ruin anything for me. If I am actively reading/watching something, I avoid social media, forums, and sometimes even television until I've caught up. Luckily, as said by many before me, there is plenty to enjoy in GRRM's world even if a few plot twists were spoiled. Hell, I have read and listened to his audio books several times, and STILL I can't keep track of all of this shit, and I don't even "roll my own smokes", so I have no excuse.

:laugh: In my defense, it is a rather isolated incident. I saw that movie! It had Leo Dicaprio in it. I think it was called Titanic.

I had someone ruin it for me on another forum. We were discussing the show and someone came in and spoiled the walk of shame, Jon's 'death', Dany's dragon riding, and a few others while I was just starting ADWD. Didn't actually bother me though, because my favorite parts of ADWD were the back story and Slynt's beheading.

Why oh why would do people visit forums while still reading or viewing, then get dismayed if they see a spoiler?

Not you in particular, just general :)

Archived