Arya's hit-list, Arya as an Assassin, and Arya's next kill...

WeaselPie

What I don't get about the faceless men is why they are not utilised more often. I get that they're expensive but there are a whole bunch of rich and powerful people around who are going about bringing down their enemies the old fashioned, less effective way. Surely someone as highly visible and dangerous as Dany warrants such an investment?

I wonder this too... which is why I wondered if the FM had a hand in Joff's death. Maybe also Robert's? Or maybe they poisoned Tywin, and not Oberyn? Maybe they still have more than a presence at Harrenhall and all the deaths there?

And yeah... I think Dany will be a target very soon, whether or not Arya is involved.

Dany is the likeliest target--she must be the most hated person in Essos. She is also the biggest threat to Illyrio's claimant, fAegon. So one way or the other, I think some rich Essosi would pay for an assassination, and the FM would likely choose Arya because she's a young female and knows the Common Tongue and would probably easily gain Dany's trust. Other than Dany, other Westeros 'kings' would be obvious targets.

I agree the Arya is likely to go rogue eventually. The Kindly Man may even anticipate it. My hope is that somehow she breaks free of them without repercussions. Whether they demand a price of her or she ends up paying one,willy nilly remains to be seen. Sadly, I doubt she's going to get all that free training, not to mention room and board, without doing something for the FM, something that will be devastating to her personally.

Dany is the likeliest target--she must be the most hated person in Essos. She is also the biggest threat to Illyrio's claimant, fAegon. So one way or the other, I think some rich Essosi would pay for an assassination, and the FM would likely choose Arya because she's a young female and knows the Common Tongue and would probably easily gain Dany's trust. Other than Dany, other Westeros 'kings' would be obvious targets.

I agree the Arya is likely to go rogue eventually. The Kindly Man may even anticipate it. My hope is that somehow she breaks free of them without repercussions. Whether they demand a price of her or she ends up paying one,willy nilly remains to be seen. Sadly, I doubt she's going to get all that free training, not to mention room and board, without doing something for the FM, something that will be devastating to her personally.

So you think it's possible they may test her with a family member? Or possibly... someone like Gendry?

Conversely, anyone that might have figured out her true identity would have to be someone that Sansa interacted with while at the Eyrie, since I'm sure LF didn't tell anyone about his plan.

If nobody at all knows about Littlefinger whisking Sansa away, I'm going to throw my books out the window. The guy used Dontos as his go-between - Dontos, the idiot pisstank who can't even master pants. I will be soooo furious if against all odds, that whole thing was truly pulled off without anyone being the wiser. But I fear you are right. :bang:

If nobody at all knows about Littlefinger whisking Sansa away, I'm going to throw my books out the window. The guy used Dontos as his go-between - Dontos, the idiot pisstank who can't even master pants. I will be soooo furious if against all odds, that whole thing was truly pulled off without anyone being the wiser. But I fear you are right. :bang:

Pretty sure Varys is aware that Sansa is at the Vale. Mad Mouse is currently one of the hedge knights...

I'm sure LF told Dontos enough to recruit his help, the minimum amount of information being "I'm leaving KL with Sansa, help me get her out or she'll die", or something along those lines. As far as Sansa's identity as Alayne Stone, however, I'm sure LF told no one of that, and that is the aspect of his scheme to which I was referring. Since for someone to hire a FM on Alayne Stone, somebody would need a reason to kill Alayne Stone, which is something that nobody has since nobody knows (at least nobody important) that Alayne Stone is Sansa.

Sooo, Arya the assassin is still in training, having been tested with the insurance dude. What if her next test is someone really important?
Who could someone very wealthy and influential want dead?
Short list (Speculation)
Dany
Tommen
Littlefinger
Tyrion
Melisandre
Stannis
Jon (if someone knows he is a Targ)
Sansa
Rickon
Thoros of Myr
Illyrio
Varys
So my questions would be, who is the most likely next target for Arya-in-training? And could that
target possibly bring her closer to her past somehow? Either near family, or near someone on her hit list,
or nearer someone who might make a major change in her future?
Might she detour from a commanded kill to find the rest on her personal list, or would she be too afraid of pissing off the FM?

All the ones I crossed out are people Arya knows. (I think she met Littlefinger and Varys, during her father's time in King's Landing - I could be wrong.) So if she were to kill them it would not be for the Faceless Men.

Some of those are also people she would never kill.

People speculate about "Alayne", but she'd know her on sight, and it does not make sense to me that the FM would seek to kill Alayne without knowing who she really is, and knowing this, they would not send Arya. (Only Sansa would be that important; and someone else hiring the Faceless Men to kill some bastard girl when a cheaper sellsword could do it makes little sense).

This leaves Daenerys, Stannis, Melisandre, and Illyrio on the list as valid targets for the FM to send Arya against.

However, let us make a list of other people Arya doesn't know / hasn't met.

- Margaery Tyrell (or Garlan or Willas or QoT for that matter)

- any of the Martells including Sand Snakes

- Bowen Marsh

- Selyse or Shiren Baratheon

- Meera or Jojen Reed

- Ramsay Bolton

- any number of unmet Freys

- Brienne of Tarth

- Podrick Payne

- The Blackfish

- Robert Arryn (presuming he never visited Winterfell while Hand)

- Harry the Heir

- the High Sparrow

- Euron Greyjoy

- Asha Greyjoy

- Bronn

- Marwyn the Mage (but why send her, with "Pate" right there ?)

- Daario Nahaaris

- Darkstar (who is not quite so ov-the-night as Arya)

- Edric Storm

- Lynesse Hightower (well, any Hightower)

- (f) Aegon

- Jon Connington

- Harzoo McBackstab (Hizdahr Zo Loraq, heh)

- Jorah Mormont

- Moqorro

- Benerro

- Khal Anybody

- The Shavepate

- the Tattered Prince

- Missandei

- Pyat Pree

- Xaro Xoan Daxos

So ... I cannot think of anyone else who would be a significant kill for her.

Forgive me but I'm not familiar with Mad Mouse, I must not have retained that part of the book. Who is that?

Ser Shadrich, a hedge knight that Brienne meets and tells her he's also looking for Sansa because Varys offered $$$ to whoever finds her. Later Sansa meets him in the Vale, as one of 3 hedge knights Littlefinger hired as security.

And I think he'll tip off Varys, Varys will tell IIIlyrio, IIIlyrio will go to the FM, the FM will send Arya to kill one Alayne Stone, and then surprise

Ser Shadrich, a hedge knight that Brienne meets and tells her he's also looking for Sansa because Varys offered $$$ to whoever finds her. Later Sansa meets him in the Vale, as one of 3 hedge knights Littlefinger hired as security.

And I think he'll tip off Varys, Varys will tell IIIlyrio, IIIlyrio will go to the FM, the FM will send Arya to kill one Alayne Stone, and then surprise

Why would Varys want Sansa dead though? LF I understand.

Why would Varys want Sansa dead though? LF I understand.

Because as long as she is LF's pawn she's a threat to Aegon. If LF's plan is to be taken at face value, he wants to use Sansa to unite North, Vale (and possibly Riverlands). Without Sansa LF is nothing.

Of course, the twist here is that I think Sansa has stopped being a pawn already and is letting LF do all the heavy-lifting so she can take advantage later

Because as long as she is LF's pawn she's a threat to Aegon. If LF's plan is to be taken at face value, he wants to use Sansa to unite North, Vale (and possibly Riverlands). Without Sansa LF is nothing.

Wouldn't Varys rather rally Sansa to his side though? As far as the majority of Westeros is concerned, she is the last Stark heir of Winterfell.

All the ones I crossed out are people Arya knows. (I think she met Littlefinger and Varys, during her father's time in King's Landing - I could be wrong.) So if she were to kill them it would not be for the Faceless Men.

Some of those are also people she would never kill.

People speculate about "Alayne", but she'd know her on sight, and it does not make sense to me that the FM would seek to kill Alayne without knowing who she really is, and knowing this, they would not send Arya. (Only Sansa would be that important; and someone else hiring the Faceless Men to kill some bastard girl when a cheaper sellsword could do it makes little sense).

This leaves Daenerys, Stannis, Melisandre, and Illyrio on the list as valid targets for the FM to send Arya against.

However, let us make a list of other people Arya doesn't know / hasn't met.

- Margaery Tyrell (or Garlan or Willas or QoT for that matter)

- any of the Martells including Sand Snakes

- Bowen Marsh

- Selyse or Shiren Baratheon

- Meera or Jojen Reed

- Ramsay Bolton

- any number of unmet Freys

- Brienne of Tarth

- Podrick Payne

- The Blackfish

- Robert Arryn (presuming he never visited Winterfell while Hand)

- Harry the Heir

- the High Sparrow

- Euron Greyjoy

- Asha Greyjoy

- Bronn

- Marwyn the Mage (but why send her, with "Pate" right there ?)

- Daario Nahaaris

- Darkstar (who is not quite so ov-the-night as Arya)

- Edric Storm

- Lynesse Hightower (well, any Hightower)

- (f) Aegon

- Jon Connington

- Harzoo McBackstab (Hizdahr Zo Loraq, heh)

- Jorah Mormont

- Moqorro

- Benerro

- Khal Anybody

- The Shavepate

- the Tattered Prince

- Missandei

- Pyat Pree

- Xaro Xoan Daxos

So ... I cannot think of anyone else who would be a significant kill for her.

Great list. But who do you think is the most likely next target of an important client of the FM? The client would need the means and the knowledge to hire them... and it would need to be worth it.

Wouldn't Varys rather rally Sansa to his side though? As far as the majority of Westeros is concerned, she is the last Stark heir of Winterfell.

Yes, you're right, I think that's also a good possibility. Personally, I'd rather have a Sansa-Aegon marriage than a Aegon-Arianne one

Archived