Does Willias Tyrell know of Doran's plans?

Dave17

While we don't know the full extent of Doran's schemes the one person who we know did was Oberyn. And there is that mysterious line where we learn that Willias Tyrell and Oberyn often exchanged letters, so does Willias know (anything?) about Doran's plans.
It seems unlikely with the Tyrell so far in with the Lannisters but under the current situation the Tyrell hold all the power while the Lannisters have very little, and we have been told that Willias is very politically smart.

If the Tyrells were to suddenly switch and support (F)Aegon then there is no-one who would be able to stop them taking the throne (While Dany is in Essos)

I don't think either Oberyn or Doran would be foolish enough to inform the son of a rival and a potential foe. Willas is smart, but he isn't the head of House Tyrell, Mace is.

The Tyrells won't just unilaterally change sides as Margaery is still married to Tommen, and they have what they want under Tommen: Margaery is married to a king and currently, Tyrell domination of the small council.

Lady Olenna also states that the Tyrells value their word more than all the gold in CR.

Horseflesh may be Oberyn's sly inside reference to the Dothraki, he specifies when he last had correspondence with Willas and it may coincide with when Doran could have heard of Viserys death. For Willas to be onside with Oberyn he'd basically have to be a traitor to his father which seems very unlikely, but perhaps he bears a grudge and he's smart enough to put the blame for his disability where it really belongs. Peake also specifically says the power of Highgarden may not be what Mace Tyrell imagines.

I think it is possible, to some small extend. Keep in mind that the Tyrells were on the loyalist side in RR and the Martells could see a potential ally in them. I think Oberyn could hint something, especially since he is Oberyn, not exactly known for his caution.

I think it is possible, to some small extend. Keep in mind that the Tyrells were on the loyalist side in RR and the Martells could see a potential ally in them. I think Oberyn could hint something, especially since he is Oberyn, not exactly known for his caution.

They were loyal to the Targaryens when they were sitting the IT, but now that they are dispossessed the Tyrells were scheming to make Margaery Robert's new queen. They are summer friends so to speak.

They were loyal to the Targaryens when they were sitting the IT, but now that they are dispossessed the Tyrells were scheming to make Margaery Robert's new queen. They are summer friends so to speak.

they would not make good allies in restoring Targaryens on the throne, but they would make excellent allies in putting Tywin's head on a spike. Subtle hints about part of the Martells' intentions would make sense IMO.

Archived