The Next 'GRRM' Moment to hit Westeros/Essos? (Possible Spoilers)

Ser Pigeon Pie

I think the outcome of the Battle of Ice has potential to be surprising:

- Rickon arrives with a horde of skaagosi riding unicorns. As they tear the Boltons and Freys a new asshole, Stannis thinks they've come to help him, until a unicorn horn runs through Clayton Suggs' heart...

- Just before Theon's about to be beheaded in front of the heart tree, Asha tells Stannis: "Wait, your Grace! I can pay for my brother's life!" Stannis replies: "I told you, there's not enough gold in your Islands that can pay for that!" And Asha says: "No, your grace. I pay the iron price" and right then Dagmer Cleftjaw and a bunch of Ironborn appear and smash Clayton Suggs' head with an axe...

- Just before Theon's about to be beheaded in front of the heart tree, the ravens start screaming "run! run!" and Stannis turns around to see a blue-eyed corpse running a spear through Clayton Suggs' gut...

- After Stannis defeats the Boltons, he walks into Winterfell and finds Mance Rayder, alive and smiling smugly, sitting in the lord's seat. As Stannis' commands the Manderly troops to kill him, the soldiers turn to him instead as Wyman Manderly says "I'm sorry your Grace, but the North remembers", and one of the soldiers run a knife through Clayton Suggs' eye...

- Just as the it seems the Boltons are going to win, Hardying and Stark banners appear in the distance, as Harry the Heir runs his sword through Clayton Suggs' face...

Even better if all of this happens.

Until proven otherwise, I have chosen to believe that Qyburn's whole Franken-Mountaining perfection process is in the service of the ultimate scene of justice/vengeance. This way anyone with a grievance against Ser Gregor Clegane, The Mountain That Rides can take their own individual turn literally killing the shit out of him. Then Ol' Q fixes him up right quick and it's on to Riverlands Smallfolk #137. Justice for everyone in the old dragonpit!

I see no reason why Clayton "Fuck You For Using Cunt As An Epithet" Suggs can't be franken-ed once the carnage of "Robert Strong" finally concludes.

I'd think he should experiment on Ramsey next. And after Suggs he's gonna need the third piece for his human centipede

Dany finally lands with her dragons and her armies in Westeros, and is ready for the penultimate battle for the Iron Throne with the remaining contenders. Suddenly while standing somewhere random, a tree branch falls and crushes her to death instantly for no reason.

If it was a weirwood branch, that is actually very plausible!

Most of "GRRM's events" are overblown imo.

Only Ned's death actually surprised me the first time since a plausible alternative event was laid out beforehand(fake confession to be sent to the wall).

Red Wedding wasn't expected but it wasn't surprising either, it was set up as probable that something bad was going to happen for several chapters leading up to it. So I wasn't expecting a total slaughter, but I was expecting Walder to take some hostages or deny crossing or something terrible.

Purple wedding similarly wasn't expected, but weren't we all just waiting for someone to kill Joff? I had been waiting for Sansa to get some balls and at least attempt it sometime but I also knew lots of people had their own motives so every KL chapter was just a waiting game.

So what would be surprising in the future? Umm... a happily ever after? Basically the only trope that GRRM actually subverted(for me at least) was the invincibility of primary PoV characters early on (pyrrhic victories have been done). The way I read books I never lock into one thing that I think will happen so that I end up surprised when anything else happens. I'm always expecting twists and hoping for plausible ones the entire time since I really hate when things end up the most obvious way.

Anyways... if you just meant events that outrage or surprise the masses... the death of any more Starks or Dany or Stannis(limited to this forum and E-Ro's other spheres of influence).

- After Stannis defeats the Boltons, he walks into Winterfell and finds Mance Rayder, alive and smiling smugly, sitting in the lord's seat. As Stannis' commands the Manderly troops to kill him, the soldiers turn to him instead as Wyman Manderly says "I'm sorry your Grace, but the North remembers", and one of the soldiers run a knife through Clayton Suggs' eye...

That would be worthy of a Grrm moment

The hound turns up in Kl and is the faiths champion to fight against ungregor cutting off his non exsistant head and cersei pays with her life. That would be pretty fitting end for both her and gregor.

Although i have a feeling that he will somehow end up in the vale and save Sansa from littlefingers plan to use her.

If I was a betting girl, I'd put some money on Nymeria and her pack making an impactful appearance. She's been stored away too neatly, only guest starring every now and then. Someone suggested the Red Wedding 2.0 could be Daven+some Frey girl's nuptials at Riverrun, during which Tom O'Sevens opens the gates for a tide wave of furry sharp-teethed avengers to turn the tables at the wedding feast. Would like me some of that action.

If I was a betting girl, I'd put some money on Nymeria and her pack making an impactful appearance. She's been stored away too neatly, only guest starring every now and then. Someone suggested the Red Wedding 2.0 could be Daven+some Frey girl's nuptials at Riverrun, during which Tom O'Sevens opens the gates for a tide wave of furry sharp-teethed avengers to turn the tables at the wedding feast. Would like me some of that action.

that would be sweet.

Although i think that the freys time will come when the WW army marches south and the freys fing themselves trapped between them on the north of the river and the wolves and the bwb to the south.

or the river freezes and the two castles can easly be surrounded by wolves leaving the freys trapped inside and short on food. Potentially having to turn to eating each other bit like the rat king.

Ser Robert Strong's helmet is removed during a fight.

He wears Robb Stark's head.

Bonus points if it happens, somehow, in front of one of the surviving Starks.

EDIT: Oh, and Sansa murdering SR for political gain.

That would be worthy of a Grrm moment

No it would not, since he isn't famous for letting his characters spit hollow phrases. What exactly does the North remember about Stannis, that would make Northerners want to put knifes through the eyes of his followers? That he saved them from the Wildlings, or maybe that he got them rid of the Ironborn?

It would be nice GGRM-irony that the only foreign King that has done anything good for the North would be the ONLY foreign King they ever rejected :D

I think Roose opening the gates and kneeling before Stannis would be something few people here seem to expect, and at the same time, it seems like the only sensible option for him to me, in case Magic won't be involved. If it would be involved - another GRRM-twist.
Another idea: There is an epic battle between Northerners, Widlings and the Others, Daenerys arrives with her Dragons, eager to save the day, but then burns the wrong army. The Others kneel to her, she likes it (consider that "Mother of the Others" is still not in her list of titles at this point!) and they establish a tyranny of Ice and Fire over mankind.

What would absolutely blow my mind would be if Varys pulled off an escape from the black cells with Ned. we know he's good with disguises, if he is hiding Ned somewhere that would be epic. Total crackpot, but would be really awesome to see Ned revenge his entire family. IIRC Arya (or sansa maybe?) could barely recognize that it was her father in the chapter when he gets apparently beheaded

Gendry realizing who his real father is, getting legitimized somehow and finding arya. creating the baratheon-stark relationship that has been foreshadowed since the beginning of the series

Dany/Mel/Shireen/Ghost (hopefully not ghost..) becoming Nissa Nissa to Jon Snow's newly found Lightbringer.

I think Bran is going to find Dark Sister in the WeirCave with Bloodraven and use Coldhands to transport it to the wall and give to Jon Snow. IIRC Aemon when speaking w jon snow 'My brother (bloodraven??) has his sword and I have my mind.. A mind needs books as a sword needs whetstone' Aemon has to be talking about a targaryen and their swords are Blackfyre and Dark Sister. I think both need to resurface in TWoW

There's gotta be the next Sword of the Morning, perhaps Darkstar but who knows

Robb's will is definitely going to be revealed, and is going to create some serious contraversy over who is the next Lord of Winterfell. I believe Robb, with the belief bran and rickon were killed, legitimized Jon Snow and took away Sansa's rights to Winterfell as she was married to Tyrion.

I think Bran is going to find Dark Sister in the WeirCave with Bloodraven and use Coldhands to transport it to the wall and give to Jon Snow. IIRC Aemon when speaking w jon snow 'My brother (bloodraven??) has his sword and I have my mind.. A mind needs books as a sword needs whetstone' Aemon has to be talking about a targaryen and their swords are Blackfyre and Dark Sister. I think both need to resurface in TWoW

The sword vs. books quote is from Tyrion, talking about Jaime and himself.

Bloodraven's Dark Sister "re-surfacing" from the depths of the earth would indeed be a nice twist, thou I can't see why it should go to Jon, since he already has a Valyrian steel sword, Longclaw.

Archived