Bran's development

The Wight Krow

Hello all!

First off need to say that I have been a fan of the forum for a very long time. Lots of interesting things being said and honestly it makes the books even better for me so THANKS! Secondly this is my first post and sorry if this has been brought up before but i don't remember ever seeing it.

So here i go,

I am a huge fan of Bran's story thus far and am really excited to see what happens with him. The other day I had a great conversation about character development, mostly about Dany possibly turning into a villain, Jon from zero to hero, theon, and jaimie going from hated to likable. Then i had a thought about bran possibly going from a POV character to possibly being some sort of a narrator in the end?? I thought it would be cool to have maybe the final battles through brans story from warging trees, animals, or possibly even dragons.I just thought it was the coolest idea ever. Not to mention he could be narrating and also impacting the story at the same time!?!?

Cant recall any other books doing this

Anyway, thoughts? criticism? hate? i like it all

Thanks again everyone!

I like the idea and its originality. Just don't want to completely lose those povs during key sequences. maybe just including some povs from bran during some key battles, experiencing (and contributing) to the chaos would be fun. If you happen to be some sort of prophet and it turns out like you say, I wouldn't be disappointed. Maybe as a epilogue or something that wraps it all up. Nice post.

That is possible but i dont see him being azhor ahai,

Anything to back it up?

When WF was sacked there was salt (tears), smoke, and a dragon (the thing Summer saw) woken from stone. Doesn't it seem odd that Hodor still has that sword from the crypts, that in ADWD we learned that Bran is in love with Meera, and Bloodraven is supposedly only alive to protect the realms of men, but is almost gone, so Brandon will take hisplace as the last greenseer, protecting the realm

I like the idea and its originality. Just don't want to completely lose those povs during key sequences. maybe just including some povs from bran during some key battles, experiencing (and contributing) to the chaos would be fun. If you happen to be some sort of prophet and it turns out like you say, I wouldn't be disappointed. Maybe as a epilogue or something that wraps it all up. Nice post.

thanks,

yea i dont want to lose povs at all, just like the idea of bran seeing everything and being apart of all of it at the end. Telling the story and changing the story as he goes.

When WF was sacked there was salt (tears), smoke, and a dragon (the thing Summer saw) woken from stone. Doesn't it seem odd that Hodor still has that sword from the crypts, that in ADWD we learned that Bran is in love with Meera, and Bloodraven is supposedly only alive to protect the realms of men, but is almost gone, so Brandon will take hisplace as the last greenseer, protecting the realm

i see your point about the the dragon summer saw, it is strange, but i dont really agree with bran being azor ahai. I mean if he is replacing Bloodraven as AA, doesn't that mean Bloodraven was AA? Yes Bran is in love with Meera, but i think thats gonna be a different kind of tragedy (exp after she finds out about Jojen). Agree with Bran protecting the real though! (stallion who mounts the world?)

thanks,

yea i dont want to lose povs at all, just like the idea of bran seeing everything and being apart of all of it at the end. Telling the story and changing the story as he goes.

i see your point about the the dragon summer saw, it is strange, but i dont really agree with bran being azor ahai. I mean if he is replacing Bloodraven as AA, doesn't that mean Bloodraven was AA? Yes Bran is in love with Meera, but i think thats gonna be a different kind of tragedy (exp after she finds out about Jojen). Agree with Bran protecting the real though! (stallion who mounts the world?)

I wasnt trying to say BR was AA. Just that Leaf says he's only alive to protect the realms of men. He and Jon are the Aragorns of ASOIAF

Hi welcome to the forums :)

I am also a big fan of Bran.

I think Bran becoming a narrator will be a waste of such a great character, he is a greenseer and has alot to offer the series not just to support other characters but things for his own.

I personally don't think he is going to be in the cave forever, I see him going to back Winterfell at one point of the story.

Nice to see another Bran POV fan... They are rare for some unknown reason. :frown5:

Anyways, I do not think Bran will be remaining in the cave. Grrm himself said that he was going to make a five year gap between the 2nd and 3rd book where Arya and Bran both complete their training and resume their storylines in the 3rd. It would be hellishly boring if he actually made Bran stay there forever...

I actually hope that he will be KITN although it is likely he may not be. But I don't want him to be a hero who conquers the Others and all. His character becoming more complex, torn between the good and evil is just what I want.

Nice to see another Bran POV fan... They are rare for some unknown reason. :frown5:

We are a rare breed.

As to the OP, AA would be cool but I see him guiding Jon(or Ghost) north, unless Jon is his burning sword and he's piercing the Heart of Winter. :eek:

Blood raven seems well rooted in his current situation. I at this point do not see Bran leaving the cave. I do see Bran being able to use Hodor as his eyes and ears. Warging him in the books is significant for the following reasons. If Hodor leaves Bran can effect things outside the cave. If Bran becomes more powerful he might be able to have Hodor communicate with some one.

Bran has the ability to spy through warging other animals, If Bran wargs a raven he can steal messages, If Bran wargs into a gods wood tree he can hear peoples prayers, or private meetings.

Bran also may be eventually able to warg a dragons which is a complete game changer for everyone.

I think Bran might be turning into a villain too. He's almost Freddy Krueger now, an omnipresent supernatural entity that travels invisibly and enslaves the minds of those weaker than himself.

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating...

haha I am totally a fan of bran becoming a villain. His story is definitley dark and creepy enough to be Freddy Krueger!

Imagine all the children of Westeroes trying to forget out Bran to keep him out of their dreams. But of course they cant because they hear the storys of Bran(don Stak) the Builder through wet nurses and septas!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

what development??

IMO there hasnt been much, he has just gotten these powers, which he has gained through birth and genes ....

Yeah, I agree. He was pretty awesome in aCoK, where he had a perfectly constructed arc with a perfect ending as he finally came to terms with his disability and was truly happy to be alive.

But since then I felt he hasn't really change in terms of his personality. I mean, his powers keep getting stronger, but he's kind of the same. Maybe it's because his storyline in aSoS ended a bit abruptly and I feel it lacked closure.

I don't know. But I do think his character development will be huge in WoW.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forums. This an awesome thread.

A whole new world has opened up for Bran. I'm not sure why people would classify his POV as boring of course has much to learn but just think about the possibilities. He can tap in any weirwood tree all over Westeros, he has the ravens he can see through. He has access to the past, present and future! I think Bran is one of the most exciting characters at the moment with the most opportunities at his fingertip, not bad for a cripple.

I don't think that Bran will become the narrator maybe in the final chapter of the last book but I don't think any sooner. I'm sure that much will be revealed through Bran though since he's like the human Google of Westeros.

Remember that the Children of the Forest know a lot of forgotten abilities. The real way of using ravens to carry messages for example. I think his abilities would lend themselves to tie up loose ends by the end of the series as you said some sort of narrator. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the forums. This an awesome thread.

A whole new world has opened up for Bran. I'm not sure why people would classify his POV as boring of course has much to learn but just think about the possibilities. He can tap in any weirwood tree all over Westeros, he has the ravens he can see through. He has access to the past, present and future! I think Bran is one of the most exciting characters at the moment with the most opportunities at his fingertip, not bad for a cripple.

I don't think that Bran will become the narrator maybe in the final chapter of the last book but I don't think any sooner. I'm sure that much will be revealed through Bran though since he's like the human Google of Westeros.

Remember that the Children of the Forest know a lot of forgotten abilities. The real way of using ravens to carry messages for example. I think his abilities would lend themselves to tie up loose ends by the end of the series as you said some sort of narrator. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

soon enough is not soon enough

Archived