Bran's development

The Wight Krow

Another Bran fan here. I think I died a little inside when we found out he loved Meera :( I retain my childlike hope for an Old Gods wedding between them in the cave :p

I like the idea of Bran narrating at the end, but I dont think Grrm will just drop all of his carefully constructed POVs. Firm believer in Bran being the prologue though, witnessing the burial of Ned Starks bones through the Winterfell heart tree and considered dead by all, unacknowledged for his role in the Long Night and unable to communicate with his surviving family (i suspect Sansa and Rickon, with a potential for Arya)

yea i wasn't saying in my OP that GRRM would just drop all his characters. You might have a point about him being the prologue though, haven't thought about it in a long time. But thinking about the opportunity for bran to tell and see the story and alter it at the same time fascinates me!

No, prologue characters all die horribly! I don't want Bran to die horribly! :crying:

Bran is my favorite character, I think him as a narrator would be a huge waste. He is the only character who could take us/learn/see the lands of always winter.

More on the crackpot side of things I think he will tame Rhaegal, and receive/steal Dark Sister.

Anyways with two books left I highly doubt he will become a tree.

My Bran Theory, with literary support: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/103504-bran-will-be-lord-of-winterfell/ .

Being a greenseer doesn't not preclude him from doing other tasks before he "joins" a tree. Brynden Rivers was Master of Wispers, Hand of the King, and Lord Commander of the Watch before he retired into his cave.

Meanwhile, Bran is the rightful Lord of Winterfell.

Bran is Winterfell. Broken in the outside but strong as the old Kings of Winter inside.

1st: this is one of the most fantastic things I have read in any of these post. :agree:

2nd: Never knew that there was Bran haters, thats weird and I don't get it. Bran is the first POV and the original idea for the book. I know things change with time but, I can not see any reason why you would start something this big with a character that isn't of great importance.

3rd: This is an excellent thread

Now for some fun........ Bran is not AA he is the last hero. I like some people believe that AA, TPtwP, the last hero are 3 different people.

(BRAN 24 AGOT)So as cold and death filled the earth, the last hero determined to seek out the children, in the hopes that their ancient magics could win back what the armies of men had lost. He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog and a dozen companions. For years he searched until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest in their secret cities. One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it. And the Others smelled the hot blood in him and came silent on his trail, stalking him with packs of pale white spiders big as hounds

If you count all the people that Bran leaves with and comes across on his journey to the COTF it =12. (Rickon,Osha, Meera, Jojen, Hodor and gets help from Maester Luwin, "The Mystrey Liddle", Sam, Gillie and the baby, Cold Hands, and Leaf(can't remember if that was the COTF who came out or if that is the name of the kid they cast for show or both). Or I could be simply fitting the reading to make my point and I am completely wrong like most people who do this. I have scene however, that some people have drawn this same conclusion.

I agree I see Bran giving us a epilogue .Bran is also one of favorite povs .When I got dance I read his chapters first I was worried about him I suppose.lol I see him warging a dragon .i don't think he will stay in the cave .i want him to return to Winterfell an marry an have a normal life before he becomes a tree.

I don't think that could work, but think that having Bran as the last chapter in the series, as a Greenseer looking back over what happened in the series would be a great ending. Him connected to the Winterfell Weirwood tree and reflecting on his life and others to.

• 1 year later...

1st: this is one of the most fantastic things I have read in any of these post. :agree:

2nd: Never knew that there was Bran haters, thats weird and I don't get it. Bran is the first POV and the original idea for the book. I know things change with time but, I can not see any reason why you would start something this big with a character that isn't of great importance. 

3rd: This is an excellent thread

Now for some fun........ Bran is not AA he is the last hero. I like some people believe that AA, TPtwP, the last hero are 3 different people.

(BRAN 24 AGOT)So as cold and death filled the earth, the last hero determined to seek out the children, in the hopes that their ancient magics could win back what the armies of men had lost. He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog and a dozen companions. For years he searched until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest in their secret cities. One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it. And the Others smelled the hot blood in him and came silent on his trail, stalking him with packs of pale white spiders big as hounds

If you count all the people that Bran leaves with and comes across on his journey to the COTF it =12. (Rickon,Osha, Meera, Jojen, Hodor and gets help from Maester Luwin, "The Mystrey Liddle", Sam, Gillie and the baby, Cold Hands, and Leaf(can't remember if that was the COTF who came out or if that is the name of the kid they cast for show or both). Or I could be simply fitting the reading to make my point and I am completely wrong like most people who do this. I have scene however, that some people have drawn this same conclusion. 

I was just re-reading this chapter and also came to the conclusion that he might be the Last Hero.  Partly I thought that because right after this portion, Hodor came to bear him on his back down to meet Robb and Tyrion.  He has a horse (Hodor), and a dog (Summer), though I am not sure what/who the sword would be.  I thought it was a big coincidence for GRRM to put these two things so close together - tricksy, as we go straight from mythology to the mundane.

Bran is not special he just has a special destiny he will probably warg a dragon his body will be killed while doing that and he will become that dragon thus becomeing the stallion that mounts the world and the winged wolf. The varamir prologue was ment to aply to bran not Jon and the dragon that flew out of winterfell is the one he will be come. This might be caused by vomiting warg crimes aganest the old gods such as eating human flesh, having sex as a animal, and warging a human.

Bran will have to make a hard choice soon regarding his family and blood, and his "destiny" or greenseer ability.  Much like Arya, I do not see him completing his training with BR nor staying in the cave.  He must return to Winterfell and if he is to bind with any Weirwood Tree it will be the one in the Winterfell Godswood, much later in his life and story.  

Also, to me, the whole warging of a dragon sounds ridiculous.  I see parallels along how Dragons might be controlled by their riders, however, do not see a character embodying the Ice of ASOIAF warging an instrument of fire (dragons.)

I found Bran's development to be fascinating in that his POV chapters help give us insight into the ancient lore of Westeros with his greensight and warging capabilities and his link to the children. While the other Stark children have also experienced warging in some way, he's the only one who's really exploring the abilities and undergoing training to control it better.

I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of him in the future as I can see Bran serving as one of the major forces to help combat against the Others.

Hello all!

First off need to say that I have been a fan of the forum for a very long time. Lots of interesting things being said and honestly it makes the books even better for me so THANKS! Secondly this is my first post and sorry if this has been brought up before but i don't remember ever seeing it.

So here i go,

I am a huge fan of Bran's story thus far and am really excited to see what happens with him. The other day I had a great conversation about character development, mostly about Dany possibly turning into a villain, Jon from zero to hero, theon, and jaimie going from hated to likable. Then i had a thought about bran possibly going from a POV character to possibly being some sort of a narrator in the end?? I thought it would be cool to have maybe the final battles through brans story from warging trees, animals, or possibly even dragons.I just thought it was the coolest idea ever. Not to mention he could be narrating and also impacting the story at the same time!?!?

Cant recall any other books doing this

Anyway, thoughts? criticism? hate? i like it all

Thanks again everyone! 

Bran is the main character most likely to turn dark and go evil.  He's been secretly warging Hodor and following Meera around.  He's tasted blood and enjoys it.  I say, the boy is off to a good start to become the next Sauron. 

I am also huge bran fan also I don't thing he will stay in cave forever also Bran is in the position of being waste or one of the best things about books depend of how last two! books will done.... he has parallel two last hero for being evil only proof are he ate humans( pigs from cold hands) johan paste theory ( I dont think it is true ) Darkness of his story and bloodraven factors he may do bad things to same humans but this dont make him evil person for me Bran is the most suited person to be king but he can also have bitter end ( not to be king ) 

What I hate about Bran is that he's a cripple. He won't be ruling Winterfell and he'll be stuck in that cave the rest of his life. Sure he can warg into different things and see through the weirnet but he's otherwise a dead end character with a rather bleak future.

Archived