Quoting quotes

Rooseman

Is there any particular reason, that if you quote a posting, the quotes which are in this posting itself don't get inserted in your own quote? (Jeez, what a sentence)

I find this really annoying, since I often have to scroll back up to see what someone was replying to. Lines from the books are also often put in quotes, and they disappear if someone else quotes a posting like that. All this makes following a discussion much harder.

I guess the reasoning behind this is, that postings get too long if you have multiple nested quotes in them, but honestly, if that's the case then the user can remove part of the quotes himself or put them in spoilers. This is much less timeconsuming than having to put quoted quotes in manually. I really don't know any other board where the quoting process is implemented like it is here.

Rooseman, in the top right corner of the quote box there's an arrow. If you click on it, it'll take you to the quoted post so you can see what they were quoting.

Thank you, that does make it a little easier.

But still, putting quotes in quotes by default, as it's implemented on almost every other board on the internet, is a much better solution. I know I'm not alone on this.

I know you guys have your way of doing things over here, but please be open to constructive criticism. Or at least I would be glad if I could get a reply from some admin or mod explaining why you think it's better the way it's handled right now.

Thank you, that does make it a little easier.

But still, putting quotes in quotes by default, as it's implemented on almost every other board on the internet, is a much better solution. I know I'm not alone on this.

I would be glad if I could get a reply from some admin or mod. I know you guys have your way of doing things over here, but please be open to constructive criticism. Or at least give me an explanation why you think it's better the way it's handled right now.

I can only assume it's to stop quotes becoming too long. It would be fine to do it once or twice, but what happens when it becomes a heated debate? There would be so many quotes you'd have to keep scrolling to see what they're replying to, which is exactly what you were trying to avoid in the first place.

I can only assume it's to stop quotes becoming too long. It would be fine to do it once or twice, but what happens when it becomes a heated debate? There would be so many quotes you'd have to keep scrolling to see what they're replying to, which is exactly what you were trying to avoid in the first place.

Yeah, I addressed that in my OP.

If quotes become too long, users naturally snip parts of it. They already do it, if they reply to a long posting.

Snipping a quote when needed costs much less effort than manually inserting a quote when needed.

Archived