Did Oberyn Martell die on purpose?

BitsOfBrains

@Rhaegarsheir "this is creative writing 101 stuff" wow. How about instead of saying it would be stupid if George had him poisoned and crossbowed, you actually dispute some of the actual text i.e Tywin being glued to his toilet before his death and immediately voided his bowls the instant he died, or the fact that his corpse was abnormally unbearable to smell even while having the best maester possible (and his personal in-life lapdog and devoted follower)

I think a very general point for the OP is that Oberyn poisoned Gregor with a purpose; I don't think he would have ever gave him a clean death during the trial, he wanted him to have to suffer through the poison. If anything he probably intended to just leave the trial once he got his confession

@Rhaegarsheir Since your being so blatantly dismissive of the Oberyn poisoned Tywin aspect of the theory, do you care to offer some insight into what Oberyn's plan was initially when he came to Kings Landing?

Is he seeing into the future and knows

1. Joffrey will be poisoned and

2.Tyrion will be put on trial and

3. Cersie would name Gregor as a champion?

Because its pretty clear Oberyn came to Kings Landing with an actual plan in place, (maybe your a show watcher who thinks he only came around to bang abuncha boys in girls in Kings Landing's ever unique Westorosi brothels?) so are you suggesting he just came to Kings Landing for shits and giggles or that he can see into the future? He tells Tyrion your father wont live forever and mentions a poison akin to what was happening to Tywin on the toilet before he dies.

On top of all the normally referenced points of how Tywin appeared poisoned and how Oberyn implies he would die, how he would benefit ect; I think Its much more important to

1. consider what his original plan was before the Purple Weddng, and to

2. piece together the facts that Oberyn wanted an immediate rebellion initially following Elia's murder, but after some convincing from Jon Arryn and presumably Doran, Oberyn decided to take a longer route and personally designed and witnessed the marriage pact for Arianne and Viserys as a means of planning a future rebellion all these years ago, and then its just coincidence that he shows up at KL acting recklessly shortly after Viserys' death?

Good post. Two comments.

Surreptitiously poisoning Tywin doesn't seem to fit Oberyn's character. He's insistent on public acknowledgment, that's what gets him killed after he had that fight pretty much won. I suppose you could say he's just that cocky and was certain he'd beat Gregor, and then he'd taunt Tywin with what he'd done, maybe dangle an antidote as exchange for confession. But I'm skeptical that his plan involved just killing Tywin by poison. Maybe it was just a super-laxative to keep Tywin on the toilet while he continues to enact his plans.

If Oberyn poisoned Tywin though, maybe this makes Tyrion not a kinslayer. Sure Tyrion causes Tywin's heart to stop beating, but he was already a dead man. A little like Gosford Park where the housekeeper knows her long lost son plans murder, and seeks to protect him by murdering his target before he can get to him with poison, and the valet ends up stabbing a corpse.

@Rhaegarsheir "this is creative writing 101 stuff" wow. How about instead of saying it would be stupid if George had him poisoned and crossbowed, you actually dispute some of the actual text i.e Tywin being glued to his toilet before his death and immediately voided his bowls the instant he died, or the fact that his corpse was abnormally unbearable to smell even while having the best maester possible (and his personal in-life lapdog and devoted follower)

im not the one making a claim you need to prove it also there's the fact that it's been confirmed to be nonsense by someone who works with geroge

im not the one making a claim you need to prove it also there's the fact that it's been confirmed to be nonsense by someone who works with geroge

http://boiledleather.com/post/31921132635/did-oberyn-poison-tywin-the-case-against

Martyrdom does seem like an end Oberyn would have been fine with. But if the opinions of Doran's daughter and the Sand Snakes show anything, it is that Oberyn embodied the spirit of the Dornish in their eyes at least. A fact he would surely have been aware of. He would have know then that dying in King's Landing would upset the balance of his home.

Not a suicide mission , given his self belief I dont think he thought for a second he would die in his mission

The cersei vs tyrion vs tywin situation could not have been predicted.

I think the plan was a strightforward and actionable one

Have a man known for posion and his hatred of the lannisters show up in kingslanding and shortly after tywin dies , oberyn is accused and demands trial by combat. The most likely candidate the lannisters will choose is ser gregor and then the viper can kill him as hed planned and possibly extract a confession if possible.

The viper walks away laughing and mocking with style as per usual

the lannisters are enranged and a lannister with possible tyrell backing force attacks dorne which has laready made ready its chokepoints.

and of course the sand snakes are still in reserve to carry out crucial missions to hurt their opponents more.

The plans seems to have fallen apart due to the situation in kings landing and of corse the viper not taking ser gregors sheer brute strength into account, that even unarmed and on his back he was still lethal.

Archived