References/Ties to Dunk and Egg in the TWOW

The WarHammer

I personally expect to see more TP&TQ tie-ins in TWOW than TSWOWF, based on the publication order. For example, all the potential DotD foreshadowing in the TP&TQ that could get paid off in TWOW (the search for people with Targ blood, etc.).

I’d also think that TSWOWF might shed some light on Old Nan’s history, and possibly the crypts, which would also be excellent.

After that, near the end of ADOS, through a few twists of fate, I think Brienne could end up to LC of KG. If Jaime dies, for example, Brienne lives, and a new regime is installed, I’d like to for Duncan’s descendant to take up both his – and Jaime’s – legacy and station.

Beyond that, it would be cool to see some “throwbacks” too, such as seeing Dawn in either TP&TQ or TSWOWF.

I threw that GRRM's way during a book signing for Feast in 2005 and he snarled a rather annoyed, "Oh, you think I'm that obvious?," my way when I mentioned Dunk's shield hanging in her father's armory.

Personally, I think Bran seeing thru the tree in Dance a young maid standing on her tiptoes to kiss a very tall man is Old Nan kissing Dunk, and Dunk's offspring that GRRM mentioned years ago is Hodor.

I am interested in knowing what happened to the dragon egg bloodraven stole, and the sword he once owned, the valyrian steal blade darksister.

I am with you 100% on this... also interested to find see if the Blackfyre sword comes into play, perhaps as Aegon (fake or not) takes the Iron Throne

But Dunk doesn't fuck.

What makes you say that? He would've tapped that ass if he'd found Tanselle in Dorne, and if he was of higher birth, he'd have settled down with the Red Widow and told Egg to find his own way back to Summerhall! :D

We know Dunk's descendants do make appearances in ASOIAF (GRRM confirmed), so unless the maesters come up with artificial insemination, I'd say you can be sure that Dunk will fuck at some point.

Or are you just jealous that he didn't respond to the Fiddler's advances? ;)

i expect a lot of blackfyre talk which is a recurring theme in D&E

I also agree, especially if fAegon is indeed a Blackfyre pretender. He and JonCon's invasion (and KL inside activities) is tantamount to a Third Blackfyre rebellion, imho. The backstory about the Blackfyres (and rebellions) in D&E and the upcoming TP&tQ (and TWoI&F) will be very relevant. We'll need to take notes often as we read.

We know Dunk's descendants do make appearances in ASOIAF (GRRM confirmed), so unless the maesters come up with artificial insemination, I'd say you can be sure that Dunk will fuck at some point.

You know, if the "She Wolves of Winterfell" comes out at some point, it could imply that Dunk (or even Egg) has left his mark on the north. Hodor?

Or are you just jealous that he didn't respond to the Fiddler's advances? ;)

Hah! Good ol' Dunk never shared that dream...

I threw that GRRM's way during a book signing for Feast in 2005 and he snarled a rather annoyed, "Oh, you think I'm that obvious?," my way when I mentioned Dunk's shield hanging in her father's armory.

Brienne or Hodor are the two people most commonly suggested as Dunc’s potential ancestor, as we know.

They are both “obvious” because Brienne is sizable, has Dunc’s old shield, is a loyal to a fault, and isn’t the brightest crayon in the box, where Hodor is also tall, we know Dunc spent some time in WF in the forthcoming D&E, and Hodor is, well… Hodor.

Yet, if size is the real clue and everything else is a red herring, I suppose it’s possible that House Clegane could be descended by Dunc, considering that their known lineage effectively stops with Gregor and Sandor and some unknown parent. That sure would be a twist, no?

Or perhaps size is the red herring and all of Dunc’s other character traits are in play… but that could mean nearly anyone, and it would be a bit “deus ex machina” to try to deduce who Dunc’s descendant might be if the range of clues is too broad.

Anyway, Brienne is the most “rewarding” descendant of Dunc, IMO, for their similar size, and for all of their character consistencies (hence my suggestion above that she "retire" as LC of the KG under the new regime as a fitting end for her arc). Hodor works too, considering that he’s... Hodor. Beyond that, I’d be up for a House Clegane twist, if that’s the way GRRM wants to take it.

But much beyond that and the reader is grasping at straws.

If Brienne and that shield were "that obvious" in GRRM's opinion, then what would you guys make of a hedge knight who pledged his sword to Joffrey and is known to people as Ser Tallad the Tall...

If Brienne and that shield were "that obvious" in GRRM's opinion, then what would you guys make of a hedge knight who pledged his sword to Joffrey and is known to people as Ser Tallad the Tall...

Good call. I have no issue putting Tallad on the list too. He at least appears in four out of five books so far, but he needs to be fleshed out a little more to have a more meaningful impact, IMO. For instance, let him play a slightly larger role in TWOW leading up to his potential reveal in ADOS.

At least in the case of Brienne, Hodor, the Cleganes or any other "less minor" characters, they have a fair amount of screen time, so the payoff of learning they are Dunc's descendant would actually have an emotional impact.

Anyone as minor as Tallad, though, seems like a waste of a lineage tie-in to me.

I think we might be seeing more Tallad. He's currently under arrest as one of Margaery's alleged lovers, so he could make an appearance during the trial. Getting sucked into the games the royals play sounds a lot like Dunk as well. Tallad also whooped some gold cloak ass when he was arrested. :)

Archived