Daemon Blackfyre Opinions

Tyrion Hand of the King

Yea, I can totally see Gregor stopping a fight and letting his maester tend to his opponents' wounds. Terrible analogy.

Why? We were not discussing how noble Daemon stopped a fight (by the way, he didn't). The PP pointed at Daemon's fighting abilities as something that should have made Daeron give him a desirable post in the Council. Moral had nothing to do with it.

Why? We were not discussing how noble Daemon stopped a fight (by the way, he didn't). The PP pointed at Daemon's fighting abilities as something that should have made Daeron give him a desirable post in the Council. Moral had nothing to do with it.

I was more challenging your idea he was average fighter and he beat a kingsguard in their finer age.

It was discussed here that his circle had to actively convince him that he was the right man for the job. And that took awhile. I don't think the view of him being an egocentric assuming the world will be handed to him is accurate.

Awesome!!! can't wait to read it! It's being shipped as I type!! :). I'll let you

Know what I think about him when I'm finished.

Sounds good. As I said there really isn't a ton of information on him other than the discussion of the Battle of Redgrass Field (which was where the duel with Corbray occured). I certainly agree with anyone saying that he was selfish by starting the rebellion against his brother, who by all accounts was a good king, but his actions in the duel made me wonder if he was all bad. Knowing Martins propensity for writing grey characters, I figure maybe he is more grey than people give him credit for.

I know there isn't a ton of information on him, but what opinions do you guys have on Daemon Blackfyre as a PERSON?

Hmm, good question.

As a believer in him being the rightful king, I might want to say he was a great person and all that, but we don't have enough to say that. What do we have? That he loved his half-sister/cousin, that Aegon IV possibly thought he should rule the kingdoms, that all the best knights/heroes followed him, that he was persuaded by his friends to claim his throne from the Falseborn, that "half" the Realm fought for him... anything else really?

It is not a lot but I think we can conclude that he was pretty likeable or at least that many would prefer him over the Falseborn. His friends having played an important role in him rebelling could go to show that he is manipulable, or maybe just cautious. As any person, he must have had his good traits and bad, but I do not see how people can claim he was selfish or a prick.

Would people claim Jon is selfish and a prick if he "usurped" Rickon to become tKitN? Jon might feel that he has lived as a bastard his whole life but now is legitimized and named Robb's heir - and might he also consider that he would be better suited to be tKitN than Rickon and have Northern lords urging him on to be tKitN over Rickon.

To judge him as a person is very hard to do with so little evidence. He must've been charismatic to have that many lords follow him. Or Daeron must've been that bad.

But we do have a somewhat closer look at the company he keeped. Some of his allies described in The Mystery Knight are less than desirable. But maybe just butthurt from losing. And Bittersteel seems like a vengeful asshole to me whenever he is described, although he did start a badass company of mercenaries.

The dude that waged war for his big brother's throne because he made his sister marry a prince that will bring about less border wars, add another trade route and kingdom to the realm plus more taxes for the IT. This dude nope no love for him at all, but respect to his battle prowess though and having an awesome sword and last name.

I really am not impressed and to be honest, I don't even find him interesting. OK, so he was a great warrior, he was charming and being led by others, he started a Rebellion that killed thousands in order to take the throne. Don't see what the big deal is or what there is to admire about him.

It was discussed here that his circle had to actively convince him that he was the right man for the job. And that took awhile. I don't think the view of him being an egocentric assuming the world will be handed to him is accurate.

Then why was he disgruntled? What is there in the text to show us what he was ready to do to win a better place for himself? He was resentful over being a bastard, albeit a legitimate one. Well, that's what he was - and it wasn't Daeron's fault, it was Aegon and Daena's. He wanted more than what he was given but unlike everyone else, he was never shown to have any inclination to work for it.

I was more challenging your idea he was average fighter and he beat a kingsguard in their finer age.

Quite interesting. That was never my idea. My idea was that for becoming a Kingsguard and even Lord Commander, battle prowess was needed but not enough. And we have nothing to show us that Daemon had anything to recommend him but his martial prowess.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I read him as well.

I cannot help but compare him to Baelor in THK. Daemon was furious that he was a bastard, aka not the centre of the world. Baelor who was the Crown Prince and the Hand of the King simply accepted that sometimes, his word could not overweigh the word of his brother (who held a lesser status) and took up to work with whatever he had.

Then why was he disgruntled? What is there in the text to show us what he was ready to do to win a better place for himself? He was resentful over being a bastard, albeit a legitimate one. Well, that's what he was - and it wasn't Daeron's fault, it was Aegon and Daena's. He wanted more than what he was given but unlike everyone else, he was never shown to have any inclination to work for it.

Nice post count, 1,111. Wouldn't waging war against the thrown count as working for it? There's not much else you could do.

I cannot help but compare him to Baelor in THK. Daemon was furious that he was a bastard, aka not the centre of the world. Baelor who was the Crown Prince and the Hand of the King simply accepted that sometimes, his word could not overweigh the word of his brother (who held a lesser status) and took up to work with whatever he had.

Lol, where do you get this? We have one line in his wiki page saying he was growing resentful of being bastard-born.

Very interesting observation, I hadn't thought of that comparison at all. As far as Daemon and his "resentment" go, sure, sucks being a bastard but a) it had nothing to do with Daeron and everything to do with Aegon and Daena so tough luck b ) Daeron treated his bastard brothers much better than what was probably usual, eg by allowing them to stay at court and to train (and in all probability, socialize) with his sons and the rest of the royal family c) he elevated Bloodraven, meaning that he had no problem looking past one of his half-brothers' bastardy, his weird appearance, the rumours surrounding him etc. All these elements lead me to believe that had Daemon had the inclination to work for what he wanted rather than expecting it to be handed to him just because, he might have fared better.

Archived