11 replies to this topic

#1 fabio012

fabio012

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

Would you have the age of the kids in the books to have been older. Like the Stark kids and Dany. I think I read a while ago that some people would have rather them be older sort of like how the show game of thrones portrays them. Because Arya seems way too young to be some kind of master assassin she needs like a good 8 years or more and it looks like that wont happen.

#2 Apple Martini

Apple Martini

Fetch Me A Block

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,806 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

I think I would make them as old as they are on the show, yeah. So Robb, Jon and Dany are older teenagers, Joffrey in his mid-teens, Sansa young teenager, Arya in late pre-pubescence, Bran like 10 at the beginning, Rickon 6, etc.

I'm to the point where I picture them as older when I read the books. Otherwise you have 15-year-old Robb and Jon going on campaign, Arya the 9-year-old assassin, Bran the 8-year-old greenseer.

#3 Tall Tyrion Lannister!

Tall Tyrion Lannister!

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

I picture them like in the show.

#4 Dain Storm

Dain Storm

Knight of the Marches

• Members
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:24 AM

I don't picture their show looks while reading the books simply due to the lack of Tully features on the Stark kids. But I do often times forget how young they are.

#5 ache

ache

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

I don't think the characters are written in a way that corresponds with their stated ages. I forget how old they are supposed to be all the time when reading because the numbers given just don't seem right. 

#6 Winds of Winter blow cold

Winds of Winter blow cold

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:44 AM

The show is more realistic, I might age them up to match the actors ages.

#7 l3ol3o

l3ol3o

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

Yeah that 5 year gap screwed GRRM or I bet he would have made them older also. I rarely picture them as young as they are in the books. The show ages are much more believable. 

#8 RedShirt47

RedShirt47

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

I'm sure I read that GRRM wanted them to age faster (as in have more time pass between certain events so each book would be 1 - 2 years) so that by book three they would be the age they are in the show. I have also heard that there was going to be a five year gap after book three.
But when he tried to write these he couldn't get them to work. I agree that the tv ages work better.

#9 GHOSTSTARK

GHOSTSTARK

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

makes it easier for me to picture them like the show

#10 bluntraven

bluntraven

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

I always assumed that the kids were so young to reflect the norms of a medieval society.  While going to war at 15 seems young to present day readers, it's repeatedly stated that Robb is just about a man grown.  And when a girl is able to rear children she is considered a woman.  

The protagonists extreme youth also makes the hardships they face seem more tragic..

#11 Whatever

Whatever

beneath the stars came fallin' on our heads

• Members
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

I pretend the 5 years gap happened (:

#12 Leap

Leap

go away, or I shall taunt you a second time

• Members
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

I always assumed that the kids were so young to reflect the norms of a medieval society.  While going to war at 15 seems young to present day readers, it's repeatedly stated that Robb is just about a man grown.  And when a girl is able to rear children she is considered a woman.  

The protagonists extreme youth also makes the hardships they face seem more tragic..

This.