Is Aegon the rightful heir?

If we look at how these things worked in the real world, then things are pretty straightforward. If Aegon is recognized as legitimate, then according to the laws of succesion, he would be the head of House Targaryen. However, considering the fact that the Targaryens have been deposed, he is heir to no throne.

As the current ruling house is the house Baratheon, the lawfull order of succession upon Robert's death should have been:

1. Joffrey

2. Tommen

3. Myrcella*

4. Stannis

5. Shireen*

6. Renly

*Myrcella an Shireen might be lower because they're girls.

PS. This is my first post... After a few years, I've finally become tired of lurking.

If we look at how these things worked in the real world, then things are pretty straightforward. If Aegon is recognized as legitimate, then according to the laws of succesion, he would be the head of House Targaryen. However, considering the fact that the Targaryens have been deposed, he is heir to no throne.

As the current ruling house is the house Baratheon, the lawfull order of succession upon Robert's death should have been:

1. Joffrey

2. Tommen

3. Myrcella*

4. Stannis

5. Shireen*

6. Renly

*Myrcella an Shireen might be lower because they're girls.

PS. This is my first post... After a few years, I've finally become tired of lurking.

You got it. The true daughter comes before the uncle.

Stannis was the rightful heir until the Lannisters stole the throne. But there is no proof yet!

Eta - welcome to the posting

Is Aegon he rightful heir ? In a word no . In the year 284 the Targaryen hold outs at Dragonstone was defeated Viserys and Daenerys went into exile. In the year 284 Dorne bent a knee to the Iron Throne and to Robert Baratheon .In the year 289 Balon was forced to bent a knee to the Iron Throne again . Robert won the throne so his heirs whether by birth,blood, or choice are the rightful kings and , or queens of Westeros.

This is a succession crisis, so any talk of "rightful heirs" is little more than political propaganda. There are several claimants, and their claims are of varying strength. Moreover, strength of claim isn't always the deciding factor: a weak claim and a strong army could be sufficient to win the throne over rivals with stronger claims. This isn't a modern continuity of government scheme, where you're either the vice president or you're not, you're either the speaker of the house or you're not, etc. That fact, after all, is how you get succession wars in the first place.

(f)Aegon's claim is clearly the weakest, because everyone believes Aegon is dead and there's no good reason to think this prevailing belief is incorrect. He could be seen as a lifeline that offers a way out of the catastrophic succession war, however, and enough allies in Westeros would render the weakness of his claim irrelevant.

(From a Doylist perspective, (f)Aegon has to be fake because "lost prince thought to die in infancy was actually swapped with another baby" is the cheesiest of soap opera plotting, and the author of aSoIaF presumably isn't engaged in cheesy soap opera plotting.)

Gotta agree with the might make right posters here. A claim is a nice thing. You can cry that you are the rightful King of Westeros, see Visarys, but until you have the backing of the major houses and depose or repulse the other claimants, you are just that, a claimant. Aegon has a claim, let's see how much backing he gets and how far his conquest gets. Stannis has legit claim but at this point a weak army and not enough backing to conquer. This may change. Westeros has never had an undisputed queen. Of the female contenders, Dany is in the strongest position, IMO only because she has Dragons. Regardless of what anyone thinks of her ability to rule, dragons are always gonna be a trump card in Westeros.

Claims are nice but the ability to back up your claim is the main factor in Westerosi society.

Gotta agree with the might make right posters here. A claim is a nice thing. You can cry that you are the rightful King of Westeros, see Visarys, but until you have the backing of the major houses and depose or repulse the other claimants, you are just that, a claimant. Aegon has a claim, let's see how much backing he gets and how far his conquest gets. Stannis has legit claim but at this point a weak army and not enough backing to conquer. This may change. Westeros has never had an undisputed queen. Of the female contenders, Dany is in the strongest position, IMO only because she has Dragons. Regardless of what anyone thinks of her ability to rule, dragons are always gonna be a trump card in Westeros.

Claims are nice but the ability to back up your claim is the main factor in Westerosi society.

"Words are wind" Visarys was only ever the Beggar King.You need an army at your back to be a King.

I think that Young Griff is a Blackfyre, or at least half. The reason being is that no one knows what happened to the female Blackfyre line. He is definitely not Aegon. He may have Tagaryen blood, but it's through the bastard Blackfyre line of women.

Part of me thinks they decided not to meet up with Dany because Barristan Selmy is there and might recognize Young Griff as a Blackfyre since he is one who killed many of them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tommen is the king, no matter what people have a "claim" to, to quote Jaime "if you take Tommen back to Casterly Rock, he becomes just another person vying for the crown." The fact is, unless Stannis were to take the throne or Cersei found guilty of treason against Robert, Stannis will only be a usurper stuck somewhere near Winterfell. Meanwhile, Aegon is widely believed dead and so he would somehow have to prove he was actually Rhaegar's son in order to even have a claim. Finally, yes, after Robert's Rebellion, it appeared that they held a counsel among the victors and said that he should be in control, Robert says it should have been Ned or Jon Arryn but Ned replies that Robert had the strongest claim.

I think that Young Griff is a Blackfyre, or at least half. The reason being is that no one knows what happened to the female Blackfyre line. He is definitely not Aegon. He may have Tagaryen blood, but it's through the bastard Blackfyre line of women.

Part of me thinks they decided not to meet up with Dany because Barristan Selmy is there and might recognize Young Griff as a Blackfyre since he is one who killed many of them.

How would Selmy recognize Young Griff as a Blackfrye?

He fought The Golden Company and killed one/some of the Blackfyres.

So he fought the GC and some of them were supposedly Blackfrye's. How does that make Young Griff a Blackfrye?

Do the Blackfrye's have a distinct look that separates them from everyone else in Essos or Westeros? Targs included.

So he fought the GC and some of them were supposedly Blackfrye's. How does that make Young Griff a Blackfrye?

Do the Blackfrye's have a distinct look that separates them from everyone else in Essos or Westeros? Targs included.

It's just a theory, but it may be possible that Young Griff is a Blackfyre through the female line, and may even be Illyrio's son, his late wife possibly being a Blackfyre.

Varys and Illyrio were very close friends growing up. Varys was once a mummer. Young Griff may be The Mummer's Dragon.

Aegon is not a Targaryen.

However, he is the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.

Because he is a Blackfyre and heir to the Blackfyre claim.

And Daeron and the junior Targaryen branch usurped the Throne from the rightful King, Daemon I Blackfyre.

How the hell was Daemon Blackfyre or his descendants the "rightful" royal line?

I am often very surprised at how little my fellow readers of ASOIAF understand the way royal succession works. Daenerys Targaryen is without question the rightful heiress to the Iron Throne. If Aegon is the real deal than it is he who precedes Dany.

Archived