What wouldve happened if Robb met Victarion in battle at Moat Cailin?

unSonofStannis

The more likely single combat scenario would be the Greatjon Umber begging Robb for the honour of curb stomping the midget Victarrion Greyjoy. Which would have ended in one bloody puddle of Iron Captain remains and the Greatjon calling for more Ironborn to quench his thirst for battle.

Now Andrik the Unsmiling, who comes close to matching the Greatjon in size, would make for a more interesting contest, methinks.

GW could jump him as a distraction, but I don't know if Vic could simply shake him off, that man is a beast himself after all.

An actual duel between the two of them would last like 2 seconds, with Robb not even being able to get in a scratch. Wasn't Robb supposed to be small for his age, or was that only in comparison to Joffrey?

No in got Robb was normal height but noted as strong and muscular. Later on Cat notices that he has grown and likely put on weight and muscle during the campaign. Joff is just an unusually tall young man

GW is like a small horse. Him and Robb together would likely be beaten by Vic purely due to the size of vics armour which he relies on in his battles rather then pure skill

The problem for me is this: if there are other routes through then neck, known the to crannogmen, then why not take his whole through and leave Victarion's men sitting there? He could leave token forces to the north and south to fortify and keep the Ironborn penned up while the crannogmen starved and poisoned them.

Othrwise couldn't he travel to flint's fingers and sail across Blazewater bay to the stoney shore? It seems pretty convenient that Robb absolutely has to take Moat Cailin.

I'm surprised that so few people have brought up the Reeds and Howland's assistance to Robb in navigating the Neck. The ironborn in Moat Cailin in ADWD are still giving Roose a headache, true ... but Roose doesn't have Howland's assistance in ferreting them out. We know it's the crannogmen who are giving the ironborn hell now, as evidenced by the poisonings and the bad shape they're in when Theon sees them. Moat Cailin has never been taken from the south, but anyone who would normally be trying to take it from the South wouldn't have the support of the crannogmen. I think that's all the difference.

And I'm not sure where the Robb/Victation single-combat idea is coming from.

:agree:

Furthermore, the crannogmen already had made themselves quite a reputation while Howland Reed's children were still hostages in Winterfell or MIA. For Robb, they'd have cranked it up to eleven.

The problem for me is this: if there are other routes through then neck, known the to crannogmen, then why not take his whole through and leave Victarion's men sitting there? He could leave token forces to the north and south to fortify and keep the Ironborn penned up while the crannogmen starved and poisoned them.

Othrwise couldn't he travel to flint's fingers and sail across Blazewater bay to the stoney shore? It seems pretty convenient that Robb absolutely has to take Moat Cailin.

He doesn't. It's just very, very useful to reopen the road into the Riverlands.

Last time I checked, teeth don't work too good against steel plate.

yea even when they tried doing that at the red wedding he still killed a boat load that whole seem damn near invulnerable in combat. I'm sure others in the battles robb foght also had steal plates and that didn't help them much.

Serry either almost killed Victarion or actually did kill Victarion. I don't think Robb was anything to write home about with a sword but Victarion is massively overrated as a fighter, himself. His most valuable advantage is his faith that makes him not afraid of drowning and thus wearing plate when boarding a ship. On land he has no such advantage. GW on the other hand is a massive advantage as the third "man" in a fight. My best bet is Victarion would have been torn to pieces, although anything can and will happen for the plot.

I think Jaime actually might have had a chance to take Robb down so fast that GW wouldn't have been able to save him, but Jaime was leagues better than Victarion before his life changing moment.

Serry either almost killed Victarion or actually did kill Victarion. I don't think Robb was anything to write home about with a sword but Victarion is massively overrated as a fighter, himself. His most valuable advantage is his faith that makes him not afraid of drowning and thus wearing plate when boarding a ship. On land he has no such advantage. GW on the other hand is a massive advantage as the third "man" in a fight. My best bet is Victarion would have been torn to pieces, although anything can and will happen for the plot.

I think Jaime actually might have had a chance to take Robb down so fast that GW wouldn't have been able to save him, but Jaime was leagues better than Victarion before his life changing moment.

Actually that's not an advantage of his faith, but of his wealth. Most noble captains and stuff wear plate armor on their ships. Serry and Florent are just some examples.

yea even when they tried doing that at the red wedding he still killed a boat load that whole seem damn near invulnerable in combat. I'm sure others in the battles robb foght also had steal plates and that didn't help them much.

You're sure of that, are you? Despite the fact that Lannister men-at-arms are described with vastly inferior armor (take the guards Syrio Forel dispatch, for instance).

Actually that's not an advantage of his faith, but of his wealth. Most noble captains and stuff wear plate armor on their ships. Serry and Florent are just some examples.

It's not clear that Serry wears armor or not. He has a sword and shield, a helmet with visor and a surcoat, nothing more is described. It is an advantage of the Ironborn and their faith making them not afraid of drowning:

"They were clutching swords and spears and axes, but nine of every ten wore no armor, and the tenth had only a shirt of sewn scales. These are no ironmen, Victarion thought. They still fear drowning."

If Serry did wear armor, he certainly wasn't the average, even for a lord. Victarion notes him as "almost Ironborn", which is a note of admiration for his bravery, unusual among the greenlanders.

You're sure of that, are you? Despite the fact that Lannister men-at-arms are described with vastly inferior armor (take the guards Syrio Forel dispatch, for instance).

At the whispering wood jaime had 2000 knights with him. This is from the richest land in Westeros. I would imagine they were fairly well armoured

Archived